Fishing myths/legends

two2canoe

Seaman Apprentice
If you read the "Big Cat" thread, you see the old "giant catfish frightens diver" myth that has been told around here forever. Apparently it is known in other areas as well. It made me wonder what other fish tales (I won't say lies, they are in a whole other catagory) are known in common in other parts of the country.<br /><br />Here's one that I hear told occasionlly here in southern Ohio.<br /><br />Three boys head out to a local pond for some fishing. The fish aren't biting so they decide to take a swim. One jumps in and imediatly begains to holler and thrash around. He goes rigid and floats to the top, obviously dead. The other two boys run for help. When the life squad gets there, a fireman goes into the pond to get the boy. He is immediatly attacked by snakes. He crawls out but dies soon after. The pond is drained and found to be full of cottonmouths.<br /><br />Everyone who tells this one claims to have been on the life squad, knows someone on the life squad who was there, or helped drain the pond and kill the snakes.<br /><br />Got any more?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Fishing myths/legends

I really doubt that one. Cottonmouths are air breathers and only submerge briefly, if at all.<br /><br />There are many documented cases, with pictures, of huge muskys attacking swimmers and leaving them needing many stitches.

FLATHEAD

Captain

JB please post those musky biting pictures or at least a link. Thanks.

two2canoe

Seaman Apprentice

How about a location on the man-eating muskys. I have an old mannequin I can make a lure out of.

JB

I'll see if I can find some, Flahthead. I have seen at least a dozen over the years.

rwise

Captain

I have heard the one about the snakes also. But it was an old strip mine just outside of Tulsa. And.....my Dad claimed to be there and it was his friend how dove into the snakes. I dont recall the pit being drained though. I think he was trying to keep me from swiming/diving in the strip pits, it must have worked, never been to one! ;) <br />Richard

crab bait

Captain

RIVER SMALLIE,,,that's extemely funny..!! really lmfao...

Snailman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The "Big Cat Frightens Diver" one is told here in Virginia too.<br /><br />Smith Mountain Lake was created by a hydroeletric project back in the 60's in the Roanoke River valley.<br /><br />The face of the dam is over 200' deep. (This I know to be true as I've been there with a depth sounder.)<br /><br />The story goes that when divers go down to work on the face of the dam they now go in pairs because the catfish that are found there are in excess of 200lbs!<br /><br />I'm pretty sure that it's one of those urban (fishing) legends but I can't help wonder if it's possible. Given enough forage a catfish (like a shark) might grow to the size that its environment would allow, no?

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

The cottonmouth story is believable - an attack like that was shown on a documentary. I think it was called "Lonesome Dove" or something like that.<br /><br />jtw

gaugeguy

Captain

I have heard of muskies taking small dogs that were swimming.

deofc

Seaman

I first heard the killer pack of snakes in the lake when I was in the Boy Scouts in the early 1960's. Naturally we were about to go in the water when it was brought up. I have heard it many times since then - even from my own children as they were growing up. One of their friends dad knew someone who.............. so it must be true.

two2canoe

Seaman Apprentice

Man those killer snakes get around. I guess parents have been scaring kids with this one for a while. The best part about the cotton mouth tale is that here in Ohio we don't have any. Too far north.<br /><br />Love the musky one. Seems like it could happen. I've thought about that when we've been into the pike heavy and they are hitting everything you throw in the lake, chasing lures back to the boat, and hanging around. Makes you think twice about washing the slime off your hands in the lake.

JB

Common water moccasins are harmless. Cottonmouths are pit vipers and dangerous, though rarely deadly.

Red Rider

Petty Officer 2nd Class

As an engineer involved with Marine construction, salvage and repairs I do a fair amount of diving, although not much in fresh water. I have never seen a 200-pound catfish, but I don‘t dive around dams either. I have got rather excited by seeing sharks, barracuda, and some other large saltwater fish. <br /><br />I once came across an Eastern Diamondback swimming in the Intercoastal Waterway. I usually see a couple of snakes every year swimming in the brackest coastal waters, but most times they are not poisonous. But my blood pressure does tend to go up when I see at one at eye level only a foot or two away. Also it is not unknown to come across a cottonmouth in the river around the dock in Wilmington NC. The Cape Fear River is full of them. And yes a cottonmouth can bite you while it is swimming, and it can bite you when its under water too. Also I get nervous when the large female eels migrate to the ocean for spawning. I once was surrounded by several dozen of them.<br /><br />But the thing that really got my attention was few years ago when there was a fire and some minor explosions on board a ship at Sunny Point Army Ammunition Depot. Sunny Point is a little ways downriver from Wilmington NC on the other side of the Cape Fear River. We were down about 20 feet when this alligator at least 100 feet long swam up to us to see what we were doing. Well maybe it wasn’t quite 100 feet long, but it was at least 75 feet long, a real big-un. Don’t think there are alligators in NC? Go visit the Battleship NC Memorial some hot summer day and look at them sunning on the bank.

gaugeguy

Captain

Geez, if they attack your feet when you dangle them in the water, I guess I won't be going skinnydipping in muskyville or pikeburg anymore :D :eek: :D

grandx

Petty Officer 1st Class

About water moccasins: Many people refer to any snake swimming in the water as a moccasin... There isn't but one moccasin, and it has a white mouth (cotton mouth)and it is poisonous. Although they do breath air, I cought one once on a 6" plastic worm (on the bottom)while bass fishing and have also found them in perch traps, both alive and dead with perch in their bellies. Knowing the above to be true, I think it is possible to get bitten by one under the water surface although I don't know of anyone that has. These snakes can also be very aggresive, unlike other snakes that try their best to get away from you, I've seen cotton mouths go out of their way to approach people and sometimes more than one of them. You might even say they were trying to chase you. My brother once jumped out of a boat to the bank of a pond and was chased right back on the boat in a matter seconds. I've never personally seen or heard of anything to the magnitude like the scene on Lonsome Dove, but it would not surprise me at all if something like this could happen with these snakes.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Grew up fishing a lot of lakes in Louisiana from small jonboats - Caddo, Bistineau, Wallace, Toledo Bend - water moccasins will approach your boat, sometimes in pairs. I've slapped many of them with a paddle. Anywhere from four to ten or twelve feet long. Heard tales of 'em dropping into the boat out of trees but never saw it happen. We always used the term "water moccasin" interchangeably with "cottonmouth" to refer to a black snack with white inside its mouth. I don't know of anybody who got bit by one, but it's gotta hurt. I've known of several dogs who got bit but none that ever died from it. Usually their snout(they always get it on the nose) swells up the size of a football.<br /><br />jtw