Fishing Etiquette

surplusman

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Fishing Etiquette

My brother-in-law is my fishing partner. Its my boat, time, maint. etc. He is on a standing invitation so to speak. I pay for everything, and even bring food, drink, and bait, knowing that he will cover those items. He does not even ask anymore, he just takes care if those things. MY feelings are that if you are a guest, dont ask, just contribute. Say, "hey, I brought enough bait for all of us", or "Good morning, here is my cooler with lunch and drinks". As the host, I always accept whatever is offered so as not to offend them. Accepting also makes them feel more comfortable by showing that they have truely contributed, not just tagged along.

cajun555

Chief Petty Officer

My only fishing partner is my wife of 31 years. I pay for everything, I'm told where we fish, if I'm going to fast across the water, go find her a bathroom that she can't pee over the side like I can and if the fish ain't biteing its my fault. But we have a great time and still keep our clothes on.

FSHKPR

Ensign

my main fishing partner is either my wife or my dad. and neither one pay for anything. altho the wife does usually bring snacks and drinks. when i go with my dad its usually evening fishing and we dont bring snacks and only a big bottle of water each. i also have a pontoon and when we invite friends along they always bring some kind of snack and usually some kind of exotic beverage. as far as gas and maintenace costs i dont ask for any or expect any.

walleyehed

Admiral

I gotta follow Nate on this one...<br />When I Built my boat (Bought my boat for the rich folk)I was doing it for "ME", to please "ME", so "I" could fish anywhere, anytime.<br />I grew up with my Dad being a dealer so we always had a boat when I was growing up. After high school, I bought my first "MY own boat", and have had many since then, and 3 now.<br />When I go fishing, I'm going anyway, and it's fun to take someone along just as a witness to my huge fish. If they offer to pay for gas, I say "let's just split it" and continue on...If they don't offer, who cares...I'm goin' anyway.

Tom2697

Seaman Apprentice

A lot depends on what type of fishing we are doing. If we are going out locally, the 5-10 gallons of gas is the cost of having a good time. If we plan to go on a 50+ gallon trek, I will pay but they had better offer something if they want to go again. Normally, we alternate trips on my boats or my fishing partner's boat so all evens out. But for those "friends" that don't have boats, the old saying of "Gas, grass, or a$$...nobody rides for free" applies.

rwise

Captain

Ok, I am past the money thing, if you don't help with costs I will move you to the end of the list. (the wife dont want me out by myself, go figure) As for bait I dig my own worms, net shade, etc. no bait to buy. And dont p!ss over the side of the boat there are restrooms and trees. If you smoke I dont want to see you buts in the water or be upwind of you (you got it right I dont smoke).

JimyZ123

Cadet

This is what helps making fishing fun. You know that if you are asked to go with someone on their boat, it is a treat. However, that does not mean you treat it as such. I think it is always the right thing to offer to pay for something no matter what it is. It's respectful, but at the same time I will not be mad at someone for not paying. I would be mad if them did as Rwise mentioned. Go fishing and have fun.