Fishing Etiquette

NDSSS

Cadet
Hi<br /> Does any one have some rules of etiquette,<br />when you ask some one to go fishing with you. <br />Lets assume you have the boat and motor and this will not be the only time you ask that person to go fishing with you, more like a fishing partner.<br />thanks :)

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Fishing Etiquette

the cheapest way to go fishing in a boat is be friends with the boat owner. buy all the bait,beverages and gas and thank them upon returning.

gonfishn

Commander

I never ask for money.. Most folks offer to pay there fair share..If They don't well I don't have enough room the next time..<br /><br />Takes a good sum of green to pull your boat nowdays what with the gas prices and such.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

When I ask a friend to go fishing with me,I do not expect him to pay for anything.He is my guest and is treated as such.If he offers to bring food or drinks ,I will gratefully accept.<br />Often these people will help you or invite you for other occasions.

NathanY

Commander

I think that there is an unspoken, unwritten rule to taking someone fishing.<br /><br />When I take my buddy, Robert, fishing, I never ask him for any money, but he always offers to pay for food, drinks, bait, and whatnot. I figure my rig, I'm responsible for paying for the gas. I look at it like this, I am going fishing with or without him, and he doesnt need to pay for my gas. But, it is nice to know that he appreciates it by providing food and all that.<br /><br />Same when I go fishing with my buddy Paul. He takes care of the truck and boat, and I pay for all the food, drinks, bait and whatnot.<br /><br />1 major rule of going fishing with me, DO NOT HELP OR EVEN OFFER TO HELP ME GET MY BOAT IN THE WATER. This is a very refined system that each boat owner has to his respective rig. If you try to get in the middle of it, not only will it take longer to launch, but something could be overlooked leading to the sinking of said rig.

juneau

Cadet

I agree with Nate. I figure I'm going anyway so I pay for everything. If my guest brings anything, it's great. I don't need any help either. I always offer money, lunch or something when I go with someone else.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Fishing topic.

one more cast

Captain

I would never expect an invited guest to pay for anything. I might tell them to bring their own bait, food and drink but as far as asking for fuel money that would be kind of like asking house guests to help pay the heating bill. On the other hand, if someone asks me to take them fishing then cost division arrangements may be made in advance.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Nate summed it up. I never expect the other guy to pay but always accept. If you don't offer don't mean I won't invite you again, just probably not very often.<br /><br />If it's a regular partner, like you said, it'll even itself out over time or else the partnership will dissolve.

muskyone

Master Chief Petty Officer

got to agree with nate on this one i don't ask someone over for dinner then get mad if thay don't bring dinner

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

When I am invited I pay for the bait. When I invite someone I only ask them to bring their fishing license. I dont want to be caught with an unlicensed fisherman on my boat. IF I fish with muskyone I bring full body armor and plenty of life Jackets. :)

PAkev

Senior Chief Petty Officer

When I invite someone to fish, I don't expect any financial contribution. I purchased my boat with the intention of taking full responsibility for it's operational expenses. When and if it ever gets to the point where I have to impose sharing costs with the folks that I invite to fish or boat with, I can't afford to keep the boat anymore.<br /><br />I personally have had mostly positive experiences. However, it is almost a guaranteed re invite if a person picks up the tab for breakfast or lunch.

llfish

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Nate and Pakve hit the nail on the head.

buckeye_sean

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Not to rehash, but I once was an unfortunate soul without a boat. At that time, my former neighbor had several boats in the 10 years he lived next to me. He asked me to go out with him several times. I always bought the snacks, coffees and pop each morning. I think while he didn't expect me to pay for anything, he sure appreciated it. Also, he was always happy to take me out.<br /><br />Now that I have my own boat, I invite many of my friends to go along with me. I don't expect any of them to pay for anything either, but I won't turn down a contribution. I figure if you don't own a boat, shelling out a few bucks for snacks, bait etc. is a small price to pay compared to all the costs required to own one yourself.<br /><br />Most importantly, it shows you are a decent human being. :D

BigPoppaG

Chief Petty Officer

I don't think I have ever gone fishing with anyone who didn't have the good sense to offer with some expense. If money is tight that month I accept and we have a great time. Don't know were you could get that type of entertainment for such a low price. If I invite them for the first time. I will usually pay for gas. If they want to pay for food and drink...so be it. I usually bring a cooler with bottles of water and fruits and sandwichs anyhow. They feel good when they are contributing to the day. They offer.....accept.

one more cast

Captain

NDSSS, I just reread what you said."more like a fishing partner." and in that situation I would think a 50/50 split would be the right thing to do.

Capn Mike

Chief Petty Officer

My thoughts have already been expressed; I don't ask for money, but if you don't offer something....even if I don't accept...you probably won't get back to my boat very often. It's not like inviting them to dinner @ your house: my boat is more special than that!<br /><br />Buckeye stated it well...it might be an unwitting test of character. I used to wonder if I was too critical of those who took, but didn't offer to give. But especially with $2.50 gas prices, I've gotton over that!

BigPoppaG

Chief Petty Officer

$2.50 for gas?<br />All I can say to that is...........<br /><br />SHOW ME THE MONEY!

fatpratt1996

Petty Officer 1st Class

My fishing buddy is a cheap a$$ and won't pay for anything unless you tell he's paying for it. Otherwise we don't go and I am too stubborn about taking friends out for one of their first boating experience. I feel far too nervous if they are going to hook me in the eye or something. We always come home happy at the end of the day though. I guess we'll end up just like Grumpy Old Men one day.