Fishing Deck

Barnbldr

Cadet
I know there's been a ton of posts about adding a fishing deck to boats, but I was unable to find 1 important detail... Where to attach the deck supports on a fiberglass tri-hull. <br />Can you put a screw in anywhere?<br />If not how do I find where?<br />I plan on using aluminum supports as suggested in previous posts, but I am worried about the screws not holding the weight.<br />It seems to have had a small deck previously, but I am planning on expanding.<br />Thanks for the help in advance!<br />
DSC00970editcopy.jpg

fatpratt1996

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Fishing Deck

Is it possible to build a tight fitting wood frame and put the deck on top? Build it tight to the outer edges of the voat and you will need no screws in the hull

MarkCz

Cadet

The best place to anchor the deck would be the area that the previous seats were anchored to. I would be reluctant to put any supports to the floor unless the floor is very sturdy. I built a forward deck for my 13 ft whaler out of 3/4 plywood and used a 2X4 along the rear edge to support the weight all the way to the boats side rails were the seats used to be resting.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Looking at the pic, I see no reason why you can't glass in some supports and glass some ply to extend the deck. Just don't go crazy, weight can add up quick.

hayhauler

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Did you put the piece of aluminum angle on the front?<br /><br />It looks to me like the boat was designed to have a piece of plywood over the supports on the bottom, which makes some sense for a 14' boat. I would think that you need the deeper middle as a place to put your feet. That doesn't mean you can't put in a raised floor, but I'm not sure I would on that short a boat.<br /><br />A picture showing how the back is set up would help, but from what I can see I would probably remove the angle, or maybe drop it to where it would support a piece of 3/4" plywood, sitting on the structure that's there and not try to build the floor up too high for the boat.<br /><br />From the glue on the bottom, it looks like that may have been the floor too at one time, but I'm having trouble picturing what you've got.

prockvoan

Chief Petty Officer

I would go with glassing in supports,then add a peice of 1/2" plywood(treated) if you didn't want to glass it.

Darrendude

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would just bring the plywood out about 4 inches on the sides and use those rails as support. I used 2X4's on mine. An 8 ft 2x4 only weighs 10 lbs