Fishing CAPE ANN

Fly Rod

Commander
Recreational fishermen are having fun catching football tunas in the 50-100 lb. class. A lady friend that I know, who has been asking me about some secret striper fishing spots, (we all know that there are none on a weekend) she hooked her first fish ever and it was a football tuna and she went on to hook four more during the day.

Fishing commercially for "Giant Bluefin Tuna" has picked up. A friend of mine has caught and sold three in the past two weeks. One weighed in at, (dressed weights) 378lbs.,one at 350lbs. and one about 300lbs. fetching about ten bucks a pound.

Bluefish are being hammered along the coast. These fish are a great fight on a fly rod. Our annual bluefish tournament is on Labor Day. This tournament started about 15 years ago with 3 friends making a 5 dollar bet and now this local tournament has drawn over 500 people competing for the biggest blue of the day and we just raised the entry fee to 10 bucks and the money is split between 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners. Some years an 18 pounder wins and I have seen other years where an 8lb. fish would win. This tournament has never been cancelled because of bad weather,and surprisingly there has never been a boating incident during bad weather. One year my boat was swampped taking a wave over the bow of my open boat, but we bailed her out and proceeded on with the tournament.