Fish Finders

Homeseller

Cadet
I am looking into buying an updated fish finder.<br /><br />I like to Salmon and trout fish the rivers. 10 to 50ft.<br /><br />Are their any you good folks would recommend?<br /><br />Thanks.<br /><br />D.J.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Fish Finders

Moving to Electronics.<br /><br />Do a search on Fish Finders, Seller.<br /><br />You will get more advice than you dreamed of.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander

As an individual who fishes salmon, and boats a lot in the area, I would recomend any lowrance or eagle unit.<br /><br />I've seen where the Humminbirds lose their signal as soon as you get moving. With the eagle/lowrances I've had never had a problem like that.<br /><br />
13and25Salmon.JPG

I have a x97 and my fishing buddy has a x97 and a eagle fishmark 320,both are the same units but the the eagle is 1/2 the price.Both are great units and i would recommend either unit.

walleyehed

Admiral

Gotta throw in the Garmin fishfinders.....very simple to use, very good high-speed use, high definition, and product support is second to none..... :)

Boatist

Rear Admiral

HomeSeller<br />I think for depths under 100 feet you can use most any unit. I like the brands of Furuno, Lowrance and Eagle best.<br /><br />Eagle units have less power than Lowrance but are the same company. For under 100 feet of fresh water you do not need a lot of power.<br /><br />If you troll with downriggers you may want to get a Dual Frequency unit for more cost. You do not need the extra depth of the 50khz but the 50khz tranducer have a cone angle of about 45 degrees. This usually allows you to see your down rigger weight so you can be sure to match the depth to the fish marks you see. The 200 Khz units have 20 degree transducers and is very hard to see your down riger weights.<br /><br />Both Lowrance and Eagle you can download a product emulator and actualy see what all the controls do and how to use the unit. This emulator runs on you PC and truly also you test drive the unit on your PC. Only real difference is use mouse to hit button instead of fingers.<br /><br />Eagle probably has the best price and would work fine in your application. Here is the link to their emulators.<br /><br /> http://www.eaglegps.com/Downloads/Emulators/default.htm

Got to throw out another vote for the garmins. I have a 160 blue unit that works great both in the shallows and the deep salt. Helped me catch more than a couple of salmon here in the Pacific Northwest!