fish/animal Poaching

gaugeguy

Captain
Re: fish/animal Poaching

Rodbolt, that's one of the things the conservation officer told me as he was writing the citation. "If you would have called me first, WE would have given the deer to your BIL and there would have been no problem". Hard lesson learned I guess. Just bums me out that there are people driving around jacking deer, shooting stuff out of season, taking more than they are supposed to, and they get away with it. I have no beef with the F&G officer (I coach his son in little league), as he said, "It's my job to split hairs", unfortunately I was on the wrong side of a hair he split.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

don't like it.. any part of it.<br /><br />but, were do you draw the line? ya need to be a better man than I to figure that one out.<br /><br />gg- you're ok in my book.. ya tried. Ethics. Ya'll could've ignored it, walked away and shot/tagged another animal but you took responsibility (in my eyes) as a sportsman/hunter and 'tagged' the animal.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

lol... took me a little bit to post that .. darned work,,, can't people see I'm busy here.

JRJ

Commander

gaugeguy, I also hate to see waste and I think your warden was overly efficient going after you for a deer that few would have made use of after an overnight and coyotes to boot. Too bad.<br /><br />rodbolt, the waste of fish you describe is just stupid. What are the fish law makers thinking?

ehenry

Commander

GaugeGUy, I dont understand how the warden cited you with poaching. Were you tresspassing on the property you were hunting?

oddjob

Commander

Yeah I dont get it. Is it because you switched possession.<br /><br />Also, I just want to stir the pot a bit....<br /><br />ahem!....The white man in me doesnt like poachers and their greed.<br /><br />and the red man in me says,..."there were no poachers here before the white man". I know, I know I'm a hopeless romantic.

90skichallenger

Petty Officer 1st Class

Poaching is bad. However I lived in a very rural county where all these wonderful social programs just didnt work due to the isolation. So some of the more impoverished people would hunt for their food. I see no problem with that at all. They ar hungry and they hunt to feed their family. Yall tell me what you would do if your kids were hungry. I myself would be out killing something to eat.<br />Poaching for fun....wrong<br />Poaching to eat.....I dont see it.<br />Later,

ehenry

Commander

What I call a poacher is someone that comes on to property that he doesnt have permission to hunt....therefore he's tresspassing too. Just my take on it. Here in Mississippi ALL land regardless of wheather a sign is up or not is posted against tresspassing. Thats the way the law reads. Even if you're say chasing a dog, livestock or a kite that got away and it crosses on to someone elses property, if you dont have permission to be on that property you are tresspassing and can be cited as such. The dog hunters around here, I've got nothing against them, always used the excuse "Dogs cant read." Well that cotton dont gin anymore. The deputies or wardens will cite you with tresspassing and poaching if you're in possession of a weapon.

gaugeguy

Captain

No EF, I wasn't trespassing. The NH lawbook is very specific. I killed an animal that I did not tag, and my BIL tagged an animal he did not kill. So therefore I poached an animal and my BIL conspired to poach.<br /><br />I appealed the citation all the way up to the Director of F&G in the state. I had photo's of the deer that had been partially eaten by coyotes, letters of commendation from F&G for helping them with habitat reconstruction, stocking fish, vounteering my time and equipment to teach kids to ice fish for the F&G's "Learn to fish" program, and for teaching hunter safety. All in an effort to get them to say an honest guy made a mistake, and be lenient on me. I really didn't give a dang about the fine, but the loss of hunting for a year really hurt. It all came down to the Director saying "Did you kill an animal and not tag it"? I said "yes", and he said "sorry, my hands are tied".

ehenry

Commander

GaugeGuy, what happened to you wasn't right.

gaugeguy

Captain

Originally posted by efhenry:<br /> GaugeGuy, what happened to you wasn't right.
I know, and a lot of people I know share that opinion (even some of my anti-hunting friends), but by the letter of the law I was guilty. So I did the crime and did my time. Sucks, but something like that will never happen to me again, live and learn.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

gg, are you sure you killed that deer? All we can conclude from the information you provided here is that you shot at a deer, then later found a similar deer that had been mauled by coyotes.<br /><br />How do you know that was your deer, and your bullet in it? Did ballistics match the bullet in the deer to your gun?<br /><br />And how do you know the deer was dead before the coyotes got to it? was an autopsy performed? <br /><br />interesting case...

JamesCoste

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by jtexas:<br /> gg, are you sure you killed that deer? All we can conclude from the information you provided here is that you shot at a deer, then later found a similar deer that had been mauled by coyotes.<br /><br />How do you know that was your deer, and your bullet in it? Did ballistics match the bullet in the deer to your gun?<br /><br />And how do you know the deer was dead before the coyotes got to it? was an autopsy performed? <br /><br />interesting case...
Jtexas, just because CSI is on just about every night of the week doesn't mean you have to watch every episode! :rolleyes: Just teasing, you have some good points. :cool:

gaugeguy

Captain

Yeah we recovered the bullet. It went in at the end of the rib-cage and lodged in it's hind quarter. No ballistics were ever done but it was the deer I shot, nobody else hunts up there but my hunting party (it's Fish and Game's land, but that had nothing to do with it, we have permission to hunt there).<br /><br />I could have plead not guilty and brought it to court and a trial in front of a judge. The reason I didn't was because the officer held a couple of charges that he would have brought on me, my BIL and hunting party including...Illegal transportation and possession, conspiracy, and driving ATV's on land where we didn't have written permission (even though we had verbal permission, the law says you need written permission). We wouldn't have beat those charges. So instead of having 5 of us cited, my BIL and I bit the bullet and plead guilty. We were given the opportunity to appeal to the Director of F&G, and we did. The officer could have confiscated my truck, ATV and rifle if he had wanted to, but he cut me a break on that.

gaugeguy

Captain

BTW, I do use myself as an example when teaching hunter safety/education. Kinda like "scared straight" for the teenagers in the class ;)

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

thats why I got out of commercial fishing. gotta have a lawer and a briefcase full of papers to haul a net or a pot. believe it our not we have been given tickets and told to hold them while the state attorney decided on the law. its happened over and over.

skeeterboy

Petty Officer 1st Class

I used to fish at a private lake that i had permission to fish at and one day this guy shows up with his dog and begins to fish with live bait. I didnt really care till he was catching beeding females that were in the 5-6lb range and keeping them. I told the guy that you cant keep the fish and you shouldnt be fishing here. He then went on to saying that he didnt understand me, or he was playing stupid either way i was furious. I didnt have a phone or any means to alert anyone so i watched this FOOL kill the fish and fillet them in a sewer pipe. God i was so pissed at him, for what damage he did to this great fishing spot. Ah well now i tell people or let rangers know what is going on. Till then i hope the guy got sick from it and learned a leason.

Link

Rear Admiral

gaugeguy<br />I think you got a raw deal. The Game wardens I know would have pointed out the regulations (for the future) and let it go at that.<br /><br />Guess I can't relate to most Iboaters on this subject.<br />Grew up in a logging town of 75 people. You only killed animals that you were going to eat.(Winter time mostly)<br />Had nothing to do with being a "Sportsman or Hunting Season" thats just the way it was.<br /><br />I must of had meager beginnings but I didn't know it at the time. And yes as an adult and a private in the Army when the goverment messed up and only paid me $100.00 a month vrs $300.00 (which was plenty back then) for six months, well after 4 months our savings were all but gone and I didnt think twice about plugging a couple deer out of season. I was moon lighting a second job at night just to pay the bills but had very little left over for food.<br />BTW that was in 1973 and even though I go hunting each and every year that was the last time I killed a animal(actually two). Why? Because since then I've never needed to. I can buy my food. <br />Don't have a problem with the guys I hunt with killing deer elk and bear because they use the meat and hunt in season. And I still enjoy the hunt. But for me unless I need the meat I don't shoot.<br />Yes I do catch a lot of crap from them but I can take the heat ;)

dogsdad

Lieutenant

Originally posted by gaugeguy:<br />
Originally posted by efhenry:<br /> GaugeGuy, what happened to you wasn't right.
I know, and a lot of people I know share that opinion (even some of my anti-hunting friends), but by the letter of the law I was guilty. So I did the crime and did my time. Sucks, but something like that will never happen to me again, live and learn.
Well, I say there should be a different name for the so-called offense you committed. The label "poacher" puts you in the company of some very despicable people, and I in no way think you deserve that.<br /><br />I think that you should be given an Iboats Pardon. How about a pardon here, JB?

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

I second that motion.<br />dogsdad, I couldn't have stated it better!<br /><br />GG, you can consider yourself pardoned in my eyes, and I would hunt with you anytime.<br /><br />AK Chappy