fish/animal Poaching

skeeterboy

Petty Officer 1st Class
just wondering if anyone has any good sites on poaching, and any thoughts on it. Is anyone for it? Or do some people just dont care about getting caught. websites would be nice.<br /><br />Thanks!

D

DJ

Re: fish/animal Poaching

A definite dislike for poachers. It's a sense of being above averyone else and above the law.<br /><br />I can't think of one good reason for a US citizen to do so.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I hate poachers...<br />if they fail the pee test I hate them more...<br />if they forget the plug in there boat I enjoy that....<br />if they have been "poofed" they deserve it...<br />if they get infected by spyware that's good too...<br />if their truck breaks down... even if their dog runs off ....<br /><br />but....<br /><br />the way things have been going you should post a topic stating "Poaching Suggestions Needed" and I am sure you will get some sound advice.<br /><br />Nope can't say I enjoy poachers.<br /><br />I have to admit I have poached eggs but I like them fried better and I like my fish baked or on a grill not poached!<br /><br />Onto the next troll :cool:

notinbig

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think it has more to do with respect for animals, the food chain and the laws. If you poach outside, or around our area we shoot first and ask questions later, like I don't know why he was just pointin his gun at me and I feared for my life officer.<br /><br />Lets go poach a poacher.

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

if ya do for subsistence due to poverty is aok in my book. <br /><br />if yous is a game hog and profiting financially from it......you are busted.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I think poaching should be legal, but then it wouldnt be poaching, so I guess if we want to preserve poaching, we should keep it illegal.<br /><br /> :D ;D<br /><br />Ken

D

DJ

if ya do for subsistence due to poverty is aok in my book
As I said before, there is no reason for anyone living in the US to have to do so.<br /><br />Pride, is not a reason.

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

DJ, nor is your pride and belief that all in the USA are positioned to be fed well commercially a reason to deny those folks who are not..... to take game to be used to subsist on.<br /><br />There well may be some who are not, and those folks are in my mind rightful to harvest what they can. Not a matter of pride, but perhaps, short or long term circumstance.

D

DJ

pjc,<br /><br />I think you misread me. There are more than enough social programs out there to feed anybody, anytime.<br /><br />However, it seems that pride gets in the way of many parents that choose to ignore those programs, for their family's benefit.<br /><br />With that said there still is no reason to "steal/poach" from the rest of the public. <br /><br />Poachers have a bad rep, in my book. My father was a wildlife biologist. He nabbed many poachers. Most of them did it for the shear reason of pride (in the kill) and wanton disregard. Many poachers left the "kill" rotting in the field or around their home.

JRJ

Commander

Poachers, child molesters, thieves, killers, is there room on the planet for any of them really? Who would miss them? What is your question skeeterboy? You want to catch them or what?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Had a friend who was a Game Warden in northern WI.<br /><br />Years ago he admitted to me that he turned his head when desperately poor native Americans took deer for food but loved prosecuting rich tourists who took over the limit on walleye or ducks.<br /><br />My personal view is that it makes a difference who is doing the poaching and why, but in the end over harvest or out of season harvest is stealing from legitimate sportsmen. If a few steal to feed their hungry families it is still stealing.<br /><br />My friend made a humanitarian choice to overlook some stealing and aggressively punish other stealing. I think there must have been a better way, but I don't know what it would have been.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

"Is anyone for it?" <br />Is anyone for identity theft?<br />Is anyone for carjacking?<br />Is anyone for smoking marijuana?<br />Is anyone for cheating on their income tax?<br />Is anyone for $2.25 per gallon gasoline?<br />Is anyone for drunk driving?<br />Is anyone for listening to public radio without making a donation?

one more cast

Captain

wow, I finally agree with most people on this one. I call the game warden every chance I get when I see someone poaching.It really gets my goat to let small bucks go by only to have poachers shoot them from their trucks with spotlights.However I also think I would look the other way if I knew someone really needed the food to feed a starving family.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

DJ, I think if I had a choice between poaching or taking a government handout, I'd do the poaching.<br /><br />But I hate poachers. Those idiots darn near ruined deer hunting in east Texas.<br /><br />I always follow the regulations, cause I want my kids to have the same fun I do.<br /><br />Ken

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

JB<br /> I had that situation here. the currituck county social services could not or would not help. both parents were disabled. one in a car wreck the other by RA. I saw him poaching swan. he would ease out in the feild beyond my house and pop two with a .22 rifle and eaase back home. but after disscussing it with a neighbor and a teacher(his kids were in my kids class) I learned thaat they had nothing and the kids had no decent shoes or winter jackets. never said a word to any law enforcement. not like he was fat and killing cause he could. but by cristmas their kids had good shoes jackets, sweaters and hats.<br /> I have a severe distaste and distrust of social services anymore. having been investigated 6 times and 2 home inspections. <br /> if I were in a bind and had young kids they would be the last place I would go, based on past experience.<br /> I quit hunting years ago cause the thrill of killing critters was gone, I dont like fish but spend a lot of time doing catch and release. if it was average joe numbskull with a spotlight and a truck with a sixpak ill call in a heartbeat.<br /> the funny numbskulls are the ones that just keep shooting the mechanical deer :)

aspeck

Staff member

I hate poaching, but don't mind it as much if they are poaching for the food, and not for a rack, or as some have said, "For pride." The jacklighters that let the animal lay, or only take the hindquarters should be drawn and quartered!<br /><br />Yep, profit OR a rack, hang 'em. Hang 'em high. For the food, maybe need to turn a blind eye.

dogsdad

Lieutenant

I got my degree in a field that is very closely related to Wildlife Management and took a few of those courses myself. Many who majored in Wildlife Management minored in Criminal Justice, and vice versa, with the intent of becoming game wardens. Some of those guys were the most ardent poachers I have ever known, and more than one who I knew were always scheming and trying to figure a way to poach some of the deer and antelope that wandered about on campus without getting caught.<br /><br />I believe that most game wardens are honest and would never even consider doing such a thing, but every time I see one or talk to one, I wonder if he ever did or ever wanted to take an animal out of season.<br /><br />In nearly every field or profession, there are foxes that want to be the henhouse guard.<br /><br /><br />-dd-

gaugeguy

Captain

Hate to admit it, but I have been busted for poaching. Before you pass judgement, let me explain.<br /><br />Opening day of rifle season in 99 I see a dandy little 6 pointer walking this ridgeline. I shot and he took off. I waited a half hour or so and made my way to where he was. I picked up his tracks immediately and followed them for a couple hundred yards or so. No hair, no blood at all. I radio'd my buddies and they joined the search. After almost 3 hours we "assumed" that I had missed, and gave up the search.<br /><br />The next day we hunted the same piece, but I followed the brook up the mountainside. I found the buck piled up in the brook about 100 yards from where we ended the search. The coyotes had gotten after him overnight and chowed him up pretty good. Seeing this, I did not want to claim the deer, nor did I want it to go to waste. I called my BIL and asked if he wanted to tag this deer and he said yes.<br /><br />To make a long story a little shorter, Fish and Game found out about it and my BIL and I each got a $400 fine and loss of hunting priveleges for a year for poaching. So I am a convicted poacher :(

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

gaugeguy<br /> wow I guess next time call the fish and game people and ask them before placing a tag instead of a BIL. <br /> its sad how some of our game laws make crimminals out of honest folk.<br /> happens in this area all the time. the laws on the commercial netting are flat bad. wrong headed legislaation by people that are over educated and cant understand basic concepts nor ever set a net.<br /> prolly half my commercial guys are poachers .<br /> the reson is unreasonable daily limits. a case in point, ya set 1000 yds of net. your allowed unlimited yds of net, however your only allowed 5 stripped bass per day. what do ya do with the other 60+ dead rock in the net? do ya toss them and just keep 5 or take them ashore? instead of a daily quota should be a season limit like they do other species, when the limits cuaght the season is over,same with puppy drum, a daily 300 pound limit, what do ya do with the other 300 pounds of dead drum in the net ?<br /> toss them or sell them and hope ya dont get caught. they have both quotaas in the ocean, 50 fish per crew per day and a total pounds caught limit for the season. should be a total season catch. 3 people and 3 trucks a net and a dory cant live on 50 fish per day and when you bring 700+ rock on the surf in a net to pick out 50 most the rest will die due to stress later. but they have to cut the net loose after getting 50 fish. by then the fish have been drug up the beach aand pounded by the surf and you can see dead ones everywhere 30 min later.