first timer transom replacement need help

wavebuster1

Seaman
which is better pourable materals or fiberglass . and i no this is a stupid quesion but can i use composite 2x4 or 2x6 lumber ie. composite outdoor deck plank for the transom

steveclv

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: first timer transom replacement need help

The simple answer is that you can use pretty much whatever you want for the transom - but doing it right is actually a lot easier.

Dimensional lumber isn't the correct size and so the correct way is to build up the exact thickness required using sandwiches of ply and fiberglass. It's strong and will be the correct size. Pourable materials such as SeaCast are strong and rot free but more expensive - so if you plan on handing the boat down to your kids in a few years then it makes sense - if like most of us, you keep the boat for a few years and then upgrade then it's probably not worth the extra expense.

There must be 50 threads showing how to replace the transom so plenty to read :)

NYBo

Admiral

Composite lumber isn't as stiff as wood, and would be a poor choice for transom repair, IMO.

wavebuster1

Seaman

ok i figured that the deck planks wouldnt work but i had some spares out back so i thought to ask. and outside the additional cost wich is better properly prepared and wraped wood or pourable materials