First time on the Chesapeake

travbl

Seaman
Planning on going down to the upper Chesapeake the weekend of the 24th with friends who have a couple boats down there. Taking my 20 ft bowrider. Any advice for the first time? Do I need a VHF radio even though I will be with others. Anything that we should check out? Would like to do some wakeboarding while there any good places? How bout some good restaurants? Thanks for all your help.

skargo

Banned
Re: First time on the Chesapeake

Where exactly on the Upper Chesapeake? There are many good areas to ski/wakeboard, and quite a few good places to eat. I am partial to the Nauti-Goose on the North East river.
http://www.nautigoosesaloon.com/

Also, you can get a Chesapeake bay cruising guide, they are like $40 for the 2009 edition, but you can do like I did and buy the 08' version for $7 from Amazon!
http://www.amazon.com/Guide-Cruisin...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1247013517&sr=1-1

Make sure you keep this post going, many good people run the upper Chesapeake here on iboats. :cool:

travbl

Seaman

We are to going to Craft Haven Marina, Perryville...Our friends have a permanent camping spot. I am even thinking about a slip there for next year, depends on how I like it this weekend. So far have only gone to Wallenpaupack, Beltzville, and Blue Marsh

skargo

Banned

That's great, hope to meet you!

Blue Crabber

Ensign

You will love the upper chesapeake bay! Lots of things to do and neat places to check out! I try to get down there as often as I can but have to admit that it is not as often as I would like!

If you are staying in Perryville, you will be close to a bunch of stuff. Good location!

You can check out this thread which has answers to a lot of your questions about restaurants, wakeboarding, etc. It is a 2 year old thread which has become pretty active lately.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread...HQAAABz3YRC&bcsi_scan_filename=showthread.php

Also, what you doing next weekend? A few of us here from iboats are getting together for a raft up near Havre De Grace. Check out this thread for more info. The more that come the better. Maybe you can get your friends to come too!

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread...3QAAACLuoVC&bcsi_scan_filename=showthread.php

As far as waterspots go, you are right on the Susquehanna river which will be a good spot to play. Stay north of Garrets Island and have fun!

As far as Restaurants go, here are a few of my favorites:

Woodys - North East - Not accessible by water :mad:
Nauti Goose - North East - On the water
Tidewater Grille - Havre De Grace - On the water

There are a bunch more around, some in Chesapeake City and on the Sassafrass River. Still trying to get to them.

I think having a VHF radio on the boat is a great idea. However, if I was you I wouldn't run out and drop a few hundred dollars on one for this weekend. Just make sure that you are with your friends and everyone is watching out for one another. However, if you do fall in love with the bay and get a slip next year. I would absolutely put one in!

It would not be a bad idea to have some charts of the area with you as well. If you are staying with friends and follow them it won't be as bad. Stay in channels and you will be fine too. But a couple charts would help if you start exploring on you own. Here is a link to an online version that you could just print a few pages of just to have. Better safe than sorry.

http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/12274.shtml

Also, the book Skargo mentioned is very good as well! I would grab a copy if i were you, especially at those prices!

Hope this helps, if you need more info just ask! I will be happy to help with what I can. And there are others here that are more knowledgable then myself!

travbl

Seaman

I really appreciate all the help. One more question. The flats that everyone keeps talking about, are those the purple shaded areas on the map just east of the entrance to HDG? Also, one other question, are you allowed to have alcohol on the boat? I do not drink but a few of the people that we go with were wondering. I know many of the lakes I have been on do not allow alcohol. Thanks again.

skargo

Banned

Alcohol is allowed.

The shaded area are the flats.

Susquehanna-Flats-1to50K-sfw.jpg

travbl

Seaman

I am so pumped about going down, wish we were going down the 18th so I could meet up with everyone....

mooneys

Recruit

Can you tell me more about Craft Haven, how did you like it? I love the upper bay area and am looking for a permanent place to keep the boat and also camp in our trailer on the weekends during the boating season. Is it only permanent sites or are there weekend sites for campers and boats? Anything else like Craft Haven Campground on the bay?

Mooney

superbenk

Commander

I'd love to try the upper Chesapeake too. Wondering how far down the fresh water goes? I've never taken my boat in salt water and would like to keep it that way.

skargo

Banned

I'd love to try the upper Chesapeake too. Wondering how far down the fresh water goes? I've never taken my boat in salt water and would like to keep it that way.

It differs from spring to fall BUT the entire upper Chesapeake is close to salt free, close enough to not cause any salt related issues. I know where we mainly boat, the Susky, NE, Elk,etc rivers and top of the bay it's 99% or more salt free.

view.image

Have you checked out this thread yet?
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=189770