First time ice fishing

mxfever

Petty Officer 1st Class
I hate winter, but due to all of our family living in Michigan I have to make the best of it. I borrowed all the icefishing equipment from a co-worker and my brother and I headed to the lake. Mind you it said 9? on the dash of the truck on the way out. I'm estimating the wind and blowing snow averaged about 176mph with a wind chill of -87? (felt that way anyway). We found an area where a bunch of shanties, drilled a couple of holes and set up. 2 hours later, nothing. Not even a nibble. So we moved to a different spot, 2 hours later....nothing. Did this routine 4 times. The last area was the deepest and after a few minutes my brothers pole started bouncing. FISH ON! He realed until the fish was just about out of the hole and SNAP. FISH GONE!:mad: We decided it was time to call it a day. Not real impressed with the whole ice fishing thing. We're going to try a different lake in a couple of weeks and hope it turns out a little better.

Huron Angler

Admiral
Re: First time ice fishing

What lake were you on? I haven't been out yet this winter myself.

Lake Geneva in DeWitt has a couple shanties, and normally it's a private lake, but I believe when it's frozen it's fair game. You would get some action there I think, they plant walleye there every year.:)

scipper77

Commander

I don't ice fish but I would think that even through the ice the fish still relate to structure such as drop offs, and current. I bet 20' can make a big difference when you are ice fishing. Of course I'm just speculating. Did you talk to any of the other guys that were out there to maybe pick up some pointers?

mxfever

Petty Officer 1st Class

A hip pocket full of your favorite "antifreeze" helps.

We took some beer but that was a bad idea. Cold beer just isn't a good idea at 10?. Next time mabey we'll take some Hot Dammit

What lake were you on? I haven't been out yet this winter myself.

Lake Geneva in DeWitt has a couple shanties, and normally it's a private lake, but I believe when it's frozen it's fair game. You would get some action there I think, they plant walleye there every year.:)

We were on Duck Lake sout of Charlotte. It's a pretty good size lake but really shallow.

I don't ice fish but I would think that even through the ice the fish still relate to structure such as drop offs, and current. I bet 20' can make a big difference when you are ice fishing. Of course I'm just speculating. Did you talk to any of the other guys that were out there to maybe pick up some pointers?

The only sign of catching anything we ever got was when we moved to what we thought was a drop off. Next time we go we'll be at the cottage and I know where the weeds and drop off's are on that lake. We didn't talk to anybody else because it was so cold and windy nobody ever got out of their shanties! My face looks sunburt today and as much as I wish it was it's really wind related.

scipper77

Commander

let me know how next time goes. I'd love to learn to ice fish, but I'll settle for learning through your experiences.

dlindeblad

Petty Officer 1st Class

I grew up ice fishing on Lake Superior and let me tell you, you've never experienced anything until you get your mits wet and they start to freeze within seconds. Great thing about Superior is bigger fish and more room. Spots are hit and miss though.

StevNimrod

Petty Officer 1st Class

Where on Duck where you? One of my friends has a cottage there so I know the lake pretty well. There are some real nice weed patches towards the north/northeast end of the lake. If you start there and work your way south you'll find drops. Unfortunately I could only give you coordinates in terms of houses on the lake.

mxfever

Petty Officer 1st Class

Where on Duck where you? One of my friends has a cottage there so I know the lake pretty well. There are some real nice weed patches towards the north/northeast end of the lake. If you start there and work your way south you'll find drops. Unfortunately I could only give you coordinates in terms of houses on the lake.

We started on the north end of the lake towards the center. That's where the little village of shanties was so we figured something had to be biting there. We ended up pretty much staying in the center but moved south each time. We had the best luck pretty much in the center of the lake. The kicker is the guy I borrowed the shanty from whent out on sunday for a couple of hour and caught 10 perch and kept 5 of them. So* of a $%^*

Huron Angler

Admiral

I've been on Duck Lake on the boat, but all we caught was a catfish.

There are tons of tubers and ski boats in the summer so ice fishing is probably the best way to catch some perch.

I've seen guys over on "Lake Interstate" if you are looking for another spot to try. It's right at the 69-96 interchange. Too small to get a boat on but there are supposed to be rainbow trout in there.:)

mxfever

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've been on Duck Lake on the boat, but all we caught was a catfish.

There are tons of tubers and ski boats in the summer so ice fishing is probably the best way to catch some perch.

I've seen guys over on "Lake Interstate" if you are looking for another spot to try. It's right at the 69-96 interchange. Too small to get a boat on but there are supposed to be rainbow trout in there.:)

You know the funny thing is I only live about 8 miles from lake interstate, drive by it regularly and didn't even think about going there!

reel clownz

Seaman

well i live in PA , we dont get alot of ice but the last few years have been exeptional. If you really wanna go ice fishing and make it somewhat enjoyable. Your gonna have to find some friends that like it or are willing to try it.The more the merrier!!! Your gonna have to spend some money. The best tool you can buy for ice fishing is a flasher unit. Marcum, humminbird, velixar, all good. You need one. Drop offs , weedlines rock piles, brush, all hold fish in winter. But without either a flasher or knowing the lake like the back of your hand, ice fishing is difficult. The easiest fish to catch in the winter are trout. If you have a stocked lake nearby, go there first. Power bait or a mini foo tipped with some maggots youll catch em. The big water lakes are really hard to fish. Start off small. Youll enjoy yourself more and youll probably catch more. Just some tips on ice fishing.

ajdobson

Cadet

What were you using for bait? I used to ice fish in the UP. Used minnows hooked through the spine. Make sure you keep your hole clear of ice and don't rub the line against the ice either. Snaps pretty easy. Look at getting some tip ups. You can really cover more ground that way and there is nothing better than looking out in the distance trying to figure out if that flag is really up. Then sprinting to it, only to get the fish up and forget to bring the bait bucket. So you have to walk all the way back for it. What a rush. Love ice fishing.

Alcohol is not necessarily a good idea. We brought growlers from the KBC (local brewery). Beer froze with in the first 15 min. Tough to drink slush. Best day to go is when it is on the way warming up. Then you're out there in your snow pants and t-shirts. Makes fishing even better.

Make sure you know the lake if you wanna go fishing. We tended to fish right on the drop offs, about half way down 20' probably. If you don't know the lake at all, spread your tip ups around, drill lots of holes, check your depths before you place your bait. Fish 2-3 ft off the bottom. Enjoy!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Here in VT it is common practice to taper and round off the bottom edge of the ice hole which reduces fish loss ;)

Yes fishing drop offs are good, natural bait, and a few good size pieces of insulating foam to keep between you and the ice.

Do not forget a set of ice rescue picks (you can make your own) which are essential.

TerryMSU

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Never been on Duck lake, so I can't say for sure... Ask at the local bait shop. You did buy your bait from a local bait shop, didn't you? Look around the holes. Were they there long enough to catch anything? What were they using for bait? Also, it depends on what you are fishing for. For most ice fishing, I got better results with minnows. With minnows, I get croppies and perch. With grubs, I get mostly small gills. Depth and time of day will make a big difference. I have never used a fishfinder thru the ice, but I suppose it can't hurt. The best thing you can do is try to borrow a portable shanty and use a coleman lantern to heat it. With a shanty and a lantern I can fish at night at -10F, and I am just a skinny little guy.

Forget the booze, to catch fish thru the ice, you need to be smarter than the fish. Also, I am told that booze will make you freeze faster. You just don't recognize it in time to do any good.

TerryMSU

mxfever

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the tips everyone! We picked up grubs at the local bait shop because that's what they say everyone is using. Mostly catching gills and perch which are great eating in my book! But I did find out that Duck Lake is nick named "no luck Duck" after we had been out there all day. We bought 2 tip ups to increase our chances but the problem is now finding a day that we're both open to get out. At least now we have some more pointers and hopefully we'll have better luck!

Huron Angler

Admiral

One of my friends went ice fishing out at Lake Ovid in Sleepy Hollow state park on saturday and they caught a few crappie and bluegill.

They saw a couple pike/musky on the underwater camera but no bite from the predators.

Bait Me

Cadet

I love to fish, but I think I would hate ice fishing for all of the reasons the original poster presented. Cold, restrictive. . .just plain boring.

JamesRay

Recruit

I live in MI and ice fish.
First and foremost, dress for the weather.
Be prepared and expect to get cold.
On open water, it doesn't take much to drop your core temp.
You do not create much heat once you get set up and fishing.
I keep a lantern in my icebox and it help to keep the hands and fingers warm.
This helps a great deal.

When I go onto a lake, especially a strange lake, I look to see where everyone is gathered.
When I set up, I will drill 6 to 10 holes right away in my general area and rotate through them.
Depending on the lake, I will try to get on the weed edges and work my way out.
It is not an exact science and one must enjoy just getting out of the house.

Be flexible and don't be afraid to move and explore areas that others are not fishing.

Panfish taste so good in the winter and first ice out and are well worth the effort.

Good luck.

bouttime007

Chief Petty Officer

I hate winter, but due to all of our family living in Michigan I have to make the best of it. I borrowed all the icefishing equipment from a co-worker and my brother and I headed to the lake. Mind you it said 9? on the dash of the truck on the way out. I'm estimating the wind and blowing snow averaged about 176mph with a wind chill of -87? (felt that way anyway). We found an area where a bunch of shanties, drilled a couple of holes and set up. 2 hours later, nothing. Not even a nibble. So we moved to a different spot, 2 hours later....nothing. Did this routine 4 times. The last area was the deepest and after a few minutes my brothers pole started bouncing. FISH ON! He realed until the fish was just about out of the hole and SNAP. FISH GONE!:mad: We decided it was time to call it a day. Not real impressed with the whole ice fishing thing. We're going to try a different lake in a couple of weeks and hope it turns out a little better.

You can definately fish structure, and you can pick a spot depth-wise depending on your target species. 3-4 feet of water would be the shallowest water Id tinker with myself though. Find a drop off and you should find action. Smaller bodies of water would be better to start with though, like mentioned before. Getting ahold of a depth map of the lake/pond would be a ideal.

One thing to remember, let your drag do the work for you if youre using light line and ultra lite jig rods. Dont try to muscle a fish in using 2-4lb line. Ive found ASSO "heavy ice" (brown) flouro to be excellent for jigging lite, because it doesnt coil much and has a higher breaking strength than the label states.