First time boat purchase, please advise

tfesta33

Cadet
Hello

Brand new here and to buying a boat. I am sure this has been asked/posted a million times, but any help that the forum could provide would be greatly appreciated.

My situation. Looking to buy a family boat for me and my wife and 2 kids, they are 8 and 11. Budget is 10k. Live in Las Vegas, so will be at Lake Mead almost all trips. Looking to be able to take our family and maybe one more family with us. Cruise a little, beach it, and pull some tubes.

I have been searching on the web and found a couple boats and would like anyone's thought/advice.

2004 Maxum 1750SR $5900

https://lasvegas.craigslist.org/boa/6213229263.html

[FONT=&quot]1999 Four Winns 180 Horizon $7200[/FONT]

https://lasvegas.craigslist.org/boa/6215542097.html

[FONT=&quot]2006 bayliner [/FONT](not sure of model) $7300

https://lasvegas.craigslist.org/boa/6202535229.html

Both the Maxum and Bayliner have the Merc engine and the Four Winns has the Volvo, have heard the Volvo is tougher to have serviced.

There is also a 2001 Sea Ray that is $11000 that seems very nice

https://lasvegas.craigslist.org/boa/6185691901.html

So thoughts on these boats? Also is there anything that I should be cautious of or thinking about that someone new to this swould not realize? Going to get a slip in the summer and hopefully store in my garage when not in season. Have a 2005 sequoia to tow, which I think is plenty strong to tow these size boats.

Thank you for any advice/guidance you can provide.

oldjeep

Admiral
The bayliner looks like a 185. Of the bunch I would lean towards the 4 Winns due to the V6 with 2nd place to the bayliner due to age/condition. I had a 2005 3.0L Bayliner 195 and it was a good boat, the 3.0 is plenty for tubing/wakeboarding and a little rough for slalom skiing. While the Searay has a bigger engine it looks like it spent its life moored. Those boats are all pretty small for a large lake so pick your days. Sequoia will tow any of those boats with ease.

Last edited:

LuvBoating

Senior Chief Petty Officer
With the number of people you want to take out, a nice pontoon would have more room than any of these. On our boat, a 1992 Celebrity, we can only get 5 people on it.

​Also, you really have to watch boats on craigslist. You want to make sure that there is a picture of the engine and cockpit. How the seats and dash looks. How many hours are on the engine. Should be an Hour Counter set up in the engine compartment. Obviously, you want to take a ride in a boat that you will be interested in and see how it runs..........just like you would with a new car. "New" meaning, new to you.

​Since this will be your first "buy", you might consider taking someone who knows boats/boat engines with you for their feelings on a certain boat.

​Oh, and, if you can and the seller has them, get any repair receipts the seller has for the boat. I have every single receipt for all repairs since when we bought boat in 2009. Anyone buying our boat, whenever we sell it, will see exactly what we've spent on repairs and what has been repaired/replaced.

Good Luck

oldjeep

Admiral
With the number of people you want to take out, a nice pontoon would have more room than any of these. On our boat, a 1992 Celebrity, we can only get 5 people on it.

​Also, you really have to watch boats on craigslist. You want to make sure that there is a picture of the engine and cockpit. How the seats and dash looks. How many hours are on the engine. Should be an Hour Counter set up in the engine compartment. Obviously, you want to take a ride in a boat that you will be interested in and see how it runs..........just like you would with a new car. "New" meaning, new to you.

​Since this will be your first "buy", you might consider taking someone who knows boats/boat engines with you for their feelings on a certain boat.

​Oh, and, if you can and the seller has them, get any repair receipts the seller has for the boat. I have every single receipt for all repairs since when we bought boat in 2009. Anyone buying our boat, whenever we sell it, will see exactly what we've spent on repairs and what has been repaired/replaced.

Good Luck

Most lower end boats have no hour meter

tfesta33

Cadet
Thanks guys.

The Four Winns says 300 hours. What is a reasonable amount of hours per year?

As far as taking someone with me, my friend works for the water department(has a city boat that he has on the water 3 days a week) and will be going with me when I look at the boats, and will for sure not buy until I have taken it on the lake and possibly pay for an inspection when I think I have found the one I want.

Thanks for advice on getting service receipts, getting a dependable boat is on the top of my list.

As far as number of people on boat, would mostly be our 4 family, but every once in a while would take another family. In that case we would find a beach and hang out while people did the tubing.

Awesome advice, thank you. Keep it coming!!!!

oldjeep

Admiral
Thanks guys.

The Four Winns says 300 hours. What is a reasonable amount of hours per year?

As far as taking someone with me, my friend works for the water department(has a city boat that he has on the water 3 days a week) and will be going with me when I look at the boats, and will for sure not buy until I have taken it on the lake and possibly pay for an inspection when I think I have found the one I want.

Thanks for advice on getting service receipts, getting a dependable boat is on the top of my list.

As far as number of people on boat, would mostly be our 4 family, but every once in a while would take another family. In that case we would find a beach and hang out while people did the tubing.

Awesome advice, thank you. Keep it coming!!!!

Reasonable is in the eye of the beholder. In MN I put between 50 and 90 hours a year on mine. At 300 hours that 4 wins has been used about 17 hours a year. Service receipts are a mixed bag - I've got none since I do all my own service. I do however have a service log of when all the main has been done.

One of the things you are looking for in a boat that old is if/when the bellows were replaced, all the other maint stuff is cheap.

jkust

Rear Admiral
I will say that the Maxum looks beat and would be a non-starter, the Bayliner not terrible, the Four Winns pics make it look like a new boat and is the original owner which is great and I like the Sea Ray as well but not at that price. The Sea Ray says it has 'Fresh' carpet which I'd want to at least know the story there. I would prefer the 4.3 liter V6 over the 4 cylinder as it is a powerhouse by comparison but will use the same amount of fuel as the 4 cylinder give or take.
I'm in MN and on a lake full time in the summer and so I actually put maybe 20 or 30 hours on our boat while the waverunner gets 90% of the use...it's the opposite of what you would think when you are actually on the lake...you end up using it less not more. 300 hours of ignition-on time on a 1999 boat is a very reasonable number if we are talking just the hours in a vacuum.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
The only one I would stay away from there is the Sea Ray. As mentioned it looks like it's been moored. There was one rebuilt on this forum the looked better than that one that was totally rotted on the inside. I'd pass on that one. The Maxum could use a cleaning but I like what looks like a fiberglass deck in it. The Four Winns and Bayliner look good and are fairly priced as well.

muskyfins

Chief Petty Officer
Maint is cheap, but make sure in some form or fashion that it has actually been done. Boats this age are all about due for gimbal bearings as well. Also gear oil is a big one for me because the drive is always under water. I change mine every year.

Solid floors and stringers are a must too. Try to at least get a look and feel around there as I doubt anybody is going to let you take a core sample.

Also, I have very rarely heard somebody say "my boat is too big", but I routinely hear "I wish I would have gotten the 20 footer", or 24 footer or whatever. I know you have several picked out, but IMO those are all 4 person boats. Not 8.Plus coolers, and mama's bag with sunglasses and towels, and, and....

Based on what you're describing I would be looking for something like a 20 foot deck boat. Can still get enough power to tow a tube, still manageable to handle in the water and on the trailer, and reasonably priced.

tpenfield

Staff member
My concern, feedback, is regarding the comment of wanting to take your family and perhaps another family out. So, at times you would have 8-9 people on the boat.. The 18-19 foot boats, although technically may be spec'd at that many people, in practice it will be a whole lot different.

You may want to consider going a bit bigger and perhaps the pontoon or a deck boat to get enough space. Also think about restroom facilities with a family. If you get into a larger size of boat, some/many will have a head in the port side console.

jkust

Rear Admiral
On those size comments, my previous boat was an 18 footer and yep, even with four and a bunch of gear, things get tight quickly made even worse when you have a couple kids with. Prices and tow weight go up quickly though when you start moving up in size to 22 and 24 feet. Current boat is rated for 12 and I don't do more than four on there because each kid is like having two adults I'd swear. They don't sit still with their legs nicely in front of them. Of course people will jam any amount of people on any size boat but it isn't always pleasant and comfortable.

tfesta33

Cadet
My concern, feedback, is regarding the comment of wanting to take your family and perhaps another family out. So, at times you would have 8-9 people on the boat.. The 18-19 foot boats, although technically may be spec'd at that many people, in practice it will be a whole lot different.

You may want to consider going a bit bigger and perhaps the pontoon or a deck boat to get enough space. Also think about restroom facilities with a family. If you get into a larger size of boat, some/many will have a head in the port side console.

I totally appreciate the comments on the size. We are interested in getting a boat from going out several times with friends that have a 19' boat. We would load up 8-9 people, find a beach and hang out on the shore swimming, etc. 1 or 2 adults would take the kids tubing for an hour or two. So if we had another family ith us that would be the idea, and yes it was cramped when you include the gear you want to bring as well. I have about 20' of room in my garage so would like to stay in that size boat as well as budget. If they gotta pee they can jump in the lake, #2 they might be in trouble! Wife will not do a pontoon, but deck boat would be great. Just haven' seen any on our price range.

tpenfield

Staff member
Generally a 18-19' boat will not readily fit in 20' of garage. A swing-away tongue on the trailer is a definite, but with the outdrive, etc. you typically need about 3+ feet more than the boat. Also keep in mind the width, if you have single wide door(s) on the garage.

If you do not have a swing-away tongue on the trailer, then plan for about 6'-8' more of garage space than the length of the boat.

Here is my former 24' boat sort of fitting into my 26' garage . . . IMG_0345.jpg

oldjeep

Admiral
My old 19ft I/O took about 23 feet with the tongue folded in. Remember that the boat length doesn't include the platform, drive or however far the trailer sticks out from the bow.

tfesta33

Cadet
Generally a 18-19' boat will not readily fit in 20' of garage. A swing-away tongue on the trailer is a definite, but with the outdrive, etc. you typically need about 3+ feet more than the boat. Also keep in mind the width, if you have single wide door(s) on the garage.

If you do not have a swing-away tongue on the trailer, then plan for about 6'-8' more of garage space than the length of the boat.

Here is my former 24' boat sort of fitting into my 26' garage . . .

​Ha ha! That pic is great.

​My HOA definitely won't allow that. Guess I'll have to park diagonal to make it fit.

EchoNovember

Petty Officer 1st Class
First, read this: http://forums.iboats.com/forum/gene...eeding-help-buying-a-boat-a-buyer-s-checklist

Second, make a list of features each boat has, then eliminate the ones common to all of them. That leaves a list of differences unique to each boat. Go down that list and mark what is a "must have" for your intended use, and what would be "nice to have" later on. The one with the most marks wins. Also, it could be beneficial to go rent a similar boat for a cruise and see what you like and don't like about the features and handling.

Also, insist on a test drive. This can reveal engine or handling issues. I ignored a hard starting engine and stalling when shifting into gear as the seller insisted it was just because the engine was cold. I now have my engine apart in my driveway, revealing a shot waterpump. I've also had to rebuild the carbs. A test drive gives you a good feel for the engine. It's fine if they insist on getting you out into open water first, a lot of accidents happen at the launch. When you get out there, shut off the engine, chat with them about the boat and their experiences, maintenance performed, etc., and let the engine cool down as much as possible.

Then fire it up yourself, shift into forward gear, and see what the low speed performance is. Does it bog down a lot? Cut out and die? Sputter a lot? Then slowly increase the speed. The engine should rev up smoothly and speed should increase proportionally. If it revs up a lot, but barely moves at first, there could be a prop or drive problem. If it is a jet boat, ask them if anything has ever been sucked into the jet, you could have a damaged impeller that will need to be replaced.

Once you are satisfied with slow speed performance and acceleration, punch it as high as you feel comfortable doing. Now is not the time to be a daredevil. Don't exceed your skill or comfort, that's dangerous. See how it handles and responds at higher speeds. Does the engine skip? Struggle? Keep it going for a bit, you want to make sure the fuel pump can keep up with the higher demand. If it starts bogging down or cutting out after running at higher speeds for awhile, and you still have plenty of fuel, something could be wrong with the fuel delivery system.

There are many other things you can check, too, and hopefully others will list them as well. If I did, my post would be more of a book than it already is... The big thing is to be absolutely certain you are not buying someone else's problem, like I made the mistake of doing. Rotten to hell transom, engine issues, rotted deck, old gas tanks, stripped shift box mounting screw, depthfinder with some errors popping up, old electrical, etc. We bought a usable project boat, that is now going to turn into a restoration project. We are looking forward to the project, but wish we had done more research into what to watch out for...

EchoNovember

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here is my former 24' boat sort of fitting into my 26' garage . . .

That will fit if you believe in yourself...

...and keep backing up through the back wall until the trailer clears the door. :laugh: