First time boat owner. HELP!

the jimmer

Recruit
OK, Here's the deal. I just picked up a 1973 Arrow glass-Cheetah. 17-footer, V-6-inboard. I am very excited. This is my first boat. Everything on the boat is original and weathered, except for the motor is rebuilt and a new floor was put in by the previous owner, at least that is what I was told. OK, I plan on stripping everything I can take off the boat except the motor for the restoration. Tell me if this sounds like a plan. For the inside walls of the boat, I want to grind it to roughin' it up and and spray a truck bed coating to take care of various spider cracks and I think it will be very durable. OK, that takes care of the inside, but my main concern is the exterior. I paint cars for a living so I have access to any tools I need. From the water-line up I want to put automotive paint and costom graphics using basecoat, clearcoat. Is that OK? From the water line, down I want just put white, but what do I use be sure any small crack and scrapes are taken care of for durability? Please, give me as many tips as you can. Thanks, "The Jimmer"

mutron77

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: First time boat owner. HELP!

Jimmer. Here is a link for you.<br /> http://www.yachtpaint.com/usa/ <br />Scroll down on the left to "boat painting guide"<br />For boats Marine Epoxy resin with fillers is used<br />for hull repairs scratches etc. Much like people use Bondo on a car repair. This site can tell you alot about how Epoxy is used in boat repair.<br /> http://www.westsystem.com/ <br />good luck with you first boat!<br /><br />H90

jfholijr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

funny thing about bondo, it was originally developed for fiberglass repair, now it's preferred for auto's, go figure.

LubeDude

Admiral

First off, Welcome to the forums, you will get a lot of help here on just about anything you can come up with!<br /><br />I have an autobody background also as well as Ryoken.<br /><br />Now to answer your questions. I think the sprayon bedliner will be a great Idea, but it is going to add a lot of weight to your boat, If thats ok with you, then go for it. As to the basecoat clearcoat, use a urethane, A product like Imron is the urethane of choice because you have a good background in spraying. Now for the bottom, Imron is NOT reccomended for below the waterline by Dupont, but it is used all the time if you are going to trailer your boat and not leaving it in the water for extended periods of time! Ive done it and others here have done it with great results! Use a 360 grit on the bottom and no finer before applying. Preporation is the key!!<br /><br />WooHooitsaboat: I do not know where you got your information about Bondo being developed for fiberglass, but it wasnt! I beleive the first bondo was called Black Magic, (could be wrong), But it was developed for metal work.

Bondo

Staff member

funny thing about bondo, it was originally developed for fiberglass repair, now it's preferred for auto's, go figure.<br /><br />WooHooitsaboat: I do not know where you got your information about Bondo being developed for fiberglass, but it wasnt! I beleive the first bondo was called Black Magic, (could be wrong), But it was developed for metal work.
Polyester Resins,+ Fillers..........<br />Bondo IS Fiberglass............ :D

LubeDude

Admiral

No, Bondo is resin and fillers, Its the glass matt or cloth that makes it "fiberglass"!!! :D

jfholijr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OOOp's I apologize for being to general. The resin + fillers were first developed shortly after Carl Beetle adopted fibergass as material to make a one piece boat after seeing GE use it (fiberglass)to make radar domes during WW2. The body filler was first used on fiberglass boats as a scratch filler and then fairing putty. Then came along Black Majic (not real sure either) who experimented using it as a fairing compound on metal and discovered that it would work well enough to use on auto's also. Then down the road of time the brand Bondo made the compound famous. But it is still the same stuff.

LubeDude

Admiral

Well, Ive been wrong before, could be this time too. Pretty scary though, it doent happen too often, I try not to open my mouth unless Im pretty sure. Especially here on the forum, because some people just cant waite to stick your foot in your mouth for ya! :D