First start of oil injected 2 stroke after sitting for 4 years

I recently bought a 1996 40hp Mariner Force oil injected 2 stroke outboard. It had been sitting for about 4 years.

To skip the long story, scroll down to ***********

I think I may have already done some injustice to it by attempting to start it without first doing some initial work on it, so I don't want to take the next step of running it before confirming some other things (ya, I know, the horses are already out of the barn! but hopefully no damage done))

Anyhow, like I said I tried starting it. I first cleaned the gas tank, put fresh gas in and pushed the new gas through the gas lines to the point where it enters the engine. Tried multiple times to start but no go. Plugs appeared dry. So in an attempt to see if there was some other issue rather than gas, I squirted a bit of gas into each cylinder and attempted to start again. This time it fired (I only let it fire for about 2 seconds). So I figured the gas was being blocked someplace between the gas connector and the cylinders. Turned out that the gas pump, carbs and bowls were full engine oil. Not sure if that was on purpose or if somehow oil syphoned over the years from the oil tank. I took apart the pump and carbs and cleaned them out good.

Attempted to restart again and almost instantly if fired up. Happy days! Again, only fired it up for about 3 seconds. Stopped working on it for the night which gave me time to think.

So for a long story, my question is this. The gas lines, fuel filter and carb bowls are all full with straight gas (or I assume they are since I used the gas line bulb to push the gas through to the carbs). Is it ok to run this gas through until the mixed gas gets into the system? I assume it would be common for this to happen.

Also, how do I know the oil injection pump is working? (or should I say, is there an EASY way to know if the injection pump is working?)

Oh ya, I intend to replace the impeller before taking it out.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
1996 40hp Mariner Force oil injected 2 stroke ? ? ?

Do you have a Mariner
a Mercury
or a Force?

There is no "mariner force".

And there never was an oil injected Force.

Spray oil into cylinders before cranking it up.

Always mix 2 stroke oil in the gas until you know the oil injection is working.
I suggest you do it now before the engine is toast.

1996 40hp Mariner Force oil injected 2 stroke ? ? ?

Do you have a Mariner
a Mercury
or a Force?

There is no "mariner force".

And there never was an oil injected Force.

Spray oil into cylinders before cranking it up.

Always mix 2 stroke oil in the gas until you know the oil injection is working.
I suggest you do it now before the engine is toast.
Crap, I must be having an aneurism !!!
Its a Mariner Magnum. I'll update the original post if I can!

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
OK, that makes more sense.

aneurism - not good
lets just call it a blonde moment.

Definitely get some oil in the cylinders, and some in the gas, until you can verify the oil level going down in the tank.

Happy boating.

OK, that makes more sense.

aneurism - not good
lets just call it a blonde moment.

Definitely get some oil in the cylinders, and some in the gas, until you can verify the oil level going down in the tank.

Happy boating.
Thanks Rosco.
Dr said no aneurism. I'm not blonde so I've run out of excuses!
I'll mix the gas in the tank with oil then push the mixed gas through the filter, gas lines and the supplemental gas filter (there is an additional gas filter between the tank and the engine that the previous owner installed).

A few more related questions if you don't mind:
- After doing the above and adding oil to the cylinders, should I drain the carb bowls of the straight gas before starting or will running the remaining straight gas from the bowls be enough to damage things?
- Should I mix the oil at 50:1? (My question around this is, if I mix the tank and if the oil injection is working, won't it be getting a heavy dose of oil?
- I'm guessing it would take at least a half a tank of gas to see if the oil level has dropped, does that sound right?

(All my previous engines have required mixed gas, so this is my first trip into the oil injected world)

Thanks for your help!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Too much oil will do no damage to the motor.-----Owners of oil injected motors need to test / keep an eye on the injection system.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Do what everyone says and add the following:
Check the oil level in the oil tank. If it's on the low side get it at least 1/2 - 3/4 full.
With the boat level, mark the oil level in the tank.
Mix the oil in the "fuel tank" to 50:1.
Now run the engine on the lake until you are almost out of fuel or at least long enough that you can tell if the oil level is dropping in the oil tank. If it is dropping, the oil pump is working. If not -- it ain't! If you can estimate how much fuel was used, and how much oil it took to fill the oil tank back to the line you marked earlier, you can tell if the pump is working at the correct mix. The longer it runs the closer the calculations will be.

ct1762@gmail.com

Senior Chief Petty Officer
the motor can and will idle for about 3-5 minutes with no load on full carb bowls in most cases. draining raw gasoline so it doesnt get splattered all over the crank would be a wise move. as would spraying fogging oil into the motor (ignition off) as you crank it to get extra lube in there. 75:1 oil mix in a portable tank until you are seeing a bunch of smoke from the oil injector.