First Restoration Project

1977cheetakc

Cadet
Hello,

My friend and I just received a 1977 Cheeta Boat from his parents and we are looking to restore it. We are hoping that all of the boat enthusiasts from this forum would be be able to give us some advice and tips on what we need to do so that we may get this boat back up and running. I have taken some photos that I will post showing some issues that we have noticed that the boat has. The biggest so far is the flooring. It appears to have a fiberglass floor that has a weakened structure and we are not sure if it is possible to repair it or how we should go about doing so. Any insight would be appreciated.

IMG_0110_a.JPGIMG_0111_a.JPG

As you can see there is a tiny hole in this portion of the floor that we have uncovered. We are not sure how to remove the flooring from the boat or how to proceed with any repairs.

Thanks,
Daniel

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: First Restoration Project

Welcome to iBoats!

You should look at the similar threads posted below. They will give you some idea of what you will be in for. Boats of this vintage typically involve removing the entire Deck, Stringers and Transom. Since the entire deck is soft this indicates to me that the stringers are indeed rotten and will require replacement. You did not say if this was an I/O or and Outboard setup? What is her Length. It's hard to give $$ estimates but it is safe to say if it requires a total restore you will be in the $500 to $1,500 range and 100-200 hrs of work. You should post more pics of the entire boat and what your total intentions are.

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

1977 great year for the Disco, but not a great one for boats......Wood is correct here, need more pictures but you can bet this is a full restore....I have to lean more toward the $1,500 price and that could be a bit low depending what all materials you decide to use back.

Oh and so you don't get fussed at here, your boat doesn't have a floor it has a deck.....Do a seach on deck, stingers replacement and you'll read for hours on end.

Good luck and welcome to the Dry Dock.

1977cheetakc

Cadet

Here are some additional photos of the boats components. We are trying to decide if it is worth the cost of repairs to get this up and running or if we would be better off buying a new boat. While it would be a great summer project is it really worth the money spent. If you would like to see more images let me know what you would need to see and we will see if we can get some photos taken.gas tank.jpgmicronar.jpgengine close up.jpgboat in yard.jpgswitch control.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

The VERY FIRST thing you have to do is see if the motor is good. If it is, then you have to decide if you want to put the time, money and effort in to it. You probably would NOT get your money back if you want to sell it. You would have a boat the would last the life of the motor. It's gunna be your decision.

1977cheetakc

Cadet

Based upon the pictures I have posted of the motor. What do you think the chances are that it is actually any good?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Merc's are the best! But... it all depends on how many hours it has and how it was maintained. Do you know if the outdrive was winterized correctly the last time? You should really have a Good Marine Mechanic check it out and give you and estimate on what it would take to bring her to life. Then you would know what you are dealing with. OR if you know a school that has a mechanics shop class that might want a project?????

1977cheetakc

Cadet

From what I know about the boat from its previous owners it was winterized properly last time it was used. Which was probably more than 10yrs ago. It is also showing only 318hrs of use time.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

That is GOOD!!! Should just need Basic Maintenance and Tune up, Maybe some seals, lubes, hoses, etc...SOOOO...... I guess you will need to decide if you want to spend the time, money, and effort on the boat.

infideltarget

Master Chief Petty Officer

Welcome to iboats!

I have nothing useful to add, due to the fact that you have one of the resident experts already doing a fantastic job! I THOUGHT I knew a lot about boats...'till I got on here. I learn something new every day. Read, and do plenty of research. If you decide this boat is worth your time and money, there is definitely enough info on here to guide you through each phase. Even if you do not fix this one, it is still a prime opportunity to learn what to look for when shopping for the next one, and to get familiar with the terminology and lingo. This helps when you go to shop for one for sure.

Good luck, whichever way you decide, and welcome again!

1977cheetakc

Cadet

Thank you both for your knowledge and insight. After what we have discussed I am not certain what the future will hold for this boat. The main thing here is money. It seems that it is going to cost us at least $500 for what we need to see if we can get the engine running. With that said if we are unable to get it running then we have wasted the money which we will probably not recoup. Looks like we have some deep thinking to do. Thanks again for the time. If we choose to continue this project we will definitely be back to ask more questions.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Like I said, the Merc is highly desirable so IF you decide NOT to go on with the project, you can part it out on CL. With the MOTOR, and the Trailer you should be able to get Between $500 and $1000 for all of it.

infideltarget

Master Chief Petty Officer

Thank you both for your knowledge and insight. After what we have discussed I am not certain what the future will hold for this boat. The main thing here is money. It seems that it is going to cost us at least $500 for what we need to see if we can get the engine running. With that said if we are unable to get it running then we have wasted the money which we will probably not recoup. Looks like we have some deep thinking to do. Thanks again for the time. If we choose to continue this project we will definitely be back to ask more questions.

You could actually do the engine checking yourself, with a little bit o' reading and a very small amount of cash outlay. At least get it figured out enough to see if it will be a viable powerplant. Also, with just a $500 outlay, you *MAY* be able to recoup that much selling her for parts, or just selling the trailer even. Then you are out nothing but a little time. Heck, you may even make a little cash.

EDIT: Sorry wood...you typed it faster than I did. :D