First oil change has "dark" oil

dsarazen

Cadet
I have 8-10 hours on a remanufactured 454 chevy. The boat is a 26' cabin cruiser. We did the first oil change and the oil is dark/dirty looking. The oil after this change (on the dip stick) is clean. I heard that there is a "poly-something" coating that builders smear all over parts when they put it together. As this stuff burns off, could this be a reason for the color? Otherwise, the boat runs great, no hesitation, etc. We did see brown exhaust - not a lot- but it's there. With only 8-10 hours on the motor, do I have a problem, or are the rings still seating? Also, should I expect to see a lot of oil consumption during this period. Any help is appreaciated. Thanks

L Christopher

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: First oil change has "dark" oil

Fullsail:<br /><br />Maybe somebody that has had this happen to them will reply. All I can suggest is that you take a oil sample to somebody that does fluid analysis (I hope I spelled that right). I take samples to a local heavy equipment dealer and they check my oil samples for $10. That will tell you everything that is going on inside your engine.

akriverrat

Chief Petty Officer
Re: First oil change has "dark" oil

breakin is primarily seating the rings and untill they do there is lots of blowby making oil dark. 8-10 hours is hardly warmed up in my book. just enough time on engine that you dont have to vary rpm all the time.