First Drove

dolluper

Captain
The first vehicle I drove was a 46 Chevy Chiefstar pickup ,the only I guess opition was the floor pedal starter,it still drives to this day but only in Santa's parade,what did you people first drive and what opitions did it have if any love to hear :eek:

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander
Re: First Drove

1976 Ford F250 club cab 1/4 ton full size pickup. The only option was an automatic transmission and air conditioner.<br />About the same time, possibly the true first vehicle was a 1954 International 4x4 step side pickup. Options included a radio, high low range shift, and a power take off drive. Brakes must not have been an option, it didn't stop well.

NYMINUTE

Captain

1957 Volkswagen Bug. No 1st, or reverse. No fuel gage, had a 1 gallon reserve with a lever to open. No heater, just a windshield defogger that barely got it clear. It was awesome on gas. Gas was .119 per gallon. Red color, battery under the back set 6 volt.

spratt

Lieutenant

1958 Chevrolet, 6-cyl., 3 spd on the tree...black, heavy, and could withstand a tree in the grill!!! (not me, but my cousin who owned the car!)

dolluper

Captain

The 57 bug had a opitional ice scapper didn't it?<br />58 Chevy was it a Belair or Biscayne

KaGee

Admiral

Don't remember! <br /><br />
4_13_13.gif

NYMINUTE

Captain

Originally posted by dolluper:<br /> The 57 bug had a opitional ice scapper didn't it?<br />58 Chevy was it a Belair or Biscayne
Used my pocket comb, tight budget in 1964, and didn't comb my hair much.....wanted to look like John Lennon or was it Paul?

one more cast

Captain

can't remember the first time I drove but It was a 1949(I think) farmall cub tractor and I was in single digit age. I do have a bunch of great memories like the first time I drove....my sisters willys jeep, my brother in-laws '67 vette, and the first time I drove a harley.

dolluper

Captain

I remember scraping while my buddy was driving his 61 bug drove it in the rubarb lots with that light front end

gonfishn

Commander

1955 Chevy here...Bought for 350 bucks after many long hours of midnite auto shopping and selling the parts :eek: Blew the engine three weeks later.

dolluper

Captain

Midnight Auto is pretty big A their all around the world it seems I thought they were only up here

gaugeguy

Captain

62 Willys Jeep that was converted to a flatbed P/U. I was 13 and was allowed to drive it from the hayfield back to the barn on the road...I thought I was the man.

Twidget

Commander

'64 Chevy Nova, six cylinder, three on the tree, with a bad throwout bearing. You had to get the clutch just right, or it would buck and stall. The only thing you might call an option was the AM radio. <br /><br />Bought it for $250, put a shaft kit in it, replaced the throw out bearing and put an Earl Sheib paint job on it.<br /><br />It got hit twice(both times while parked), which netted me almost $700 between them. A little bondo, another Earl Sheib job and I sold the sucker for $500. :) Wish all my 'investments' went so well.

ehenry

Commander

A 630 Poppin John Deere tractor was the first thing for me to drive. Had the hand clutch that was so tough to engage that once I got it going I had to put my foot on it and push it to fully engage it.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Mom's 1939 Dodge.

xikxak

Petty Officer 1st Class

1948 Dodge,fluid drive. nobody had to get out of my way.

jinx

Senior Chief Petty Officer

My gasoline addiction started with an old David Bradley tractor<br /><br />The car I first drove was a '58 VW bug.<br /><br />The first car I owned was a '66 Simca 1000.<br /><br />I hate automatic transmissions to this day.<br /><br />Jinx

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

1949 GMC, the only option was the plywood campershell that I glassed to the bed...worked great for many years. <br />First car was a 1958 Desoto. It had an auto trans with the typwriter drive. I had it when I joined the Navy, was gone when I got back. Chief :)

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I learned on a 1982 Datsun pickup with a 5 speed. First car that was mine was a 66 Impala SS.<br /><br />Ken