first coat on!

pduquette

Ensign
After many stumbling blocks , I was able to start painting , and so far I'm pleased with the outcome. Lot better than the 20+ year old brushed on paint job:) whadda ya think ?? Good for for another 5 mph ?? :p
the big scrape on the bow was the worst of the blemishes , but filled in nice . There was a lot of cavities directly under the transom , looked as if the hull was poped from the mould to early / wet .

Attachments

• 04-28-09_1741.jpg
    04-28-09_1741.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 04-28-09_1450.jpg
    04-28-09_1450.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 04-28-09_1451.jpg
    04-28-09_1451.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 05-02-09_1849.jpg
    05-02-09_1849.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 05-02-09_1852.jpg
    05-02-09_1852.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 1

bhammatt

Cadet
Re: first coat on!

Looks Great!
A question about the center skeg.....Why does it not go all the way to the transom? Mine is the same as yours (on a 1960 Oxford) and I haven't been able to figure out why it ends about 18" from the transom. Any thoughts?

pduquette

Ensign

Well guys , Mother nature 's trying her best to slow me up ! Soft showers to light mist for the next couple of days , then full out rain predicted from wed on..... Tented a B.A. tarp over my boat , dried it with a chamois and went at the second coat .
I'm realy surprised at how thin the Rustolium topsides goes on . The first coat flatened out nice , but was paper thin . the second coat looks to have filled in and thickened up well . I'll see if it's a disaster in the a.m.
peter

pduquette

Ensign

Bhammatt , I Realy don't have anything but guesses ....Probably just to protect the fg bottom from underwater uglies , and didn't need to go to the transom . I also think It wouldn't add any more positive steering control either , so was made as long as needed . You said yours is wood , Do you know what type was used ? peter

*EdC*

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Lookin' good Pete!
See you're working late into the night:rolleyes: I don't think I'm going to make my May 8th splash. More likely Memorial day. Still waiting on new rigging cables. Just got four hydraulic hoses for my power tilt/trim... Man...., set me back over a duce!

bhammatt

Cadet

When I got the boat it had what seemed to be pressure treated yellow pine that must have been a re due in relative recent years. I have replaced it with red oak......and extended it to the transom.

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

....A question about the center skeg.....Why does it not go all the way to the transom? Mine is the same as yours (on a 1960 Oxford) and I haven't been able to figure out why it ends about 18" from the transom. Any thoughts?

Several reasons that the keel does not run to the transom. Here are two:
1- clean exit at transom makes hull more efficient.
2- water disturbance at transom can lead to prop "slipping" under way.

pduquette

Ensign

Hi Mark , I was thinking on those lines . I realy couldn't see it being too much help or hinderance if it went all the way back and tapered down to the transom's edge ....but I'm no engineer either!!!
I got mine right side up again , so now on to the steering and re mounting the motor , and transducer . Probably not gonna get the topside painted , maybe just to make it look better . more important to get running good for the trip - rapidly running out of time:eek:
EdC - I don't wanna mention thc coin i've "misplaced" to get where I'm at -Where dose it all go ?????????:D