first boat

mikewhite

Cadet
Hello all,
I am looking at taking the plunge and buying my first sailing boat. I have a family and so accomadation is important but any boat would need to be easy to handle as I am still new to sailing.
I have seen an ad for a 'Minstrel' http://kent.boatshed.com/minstrel_680-boat-115535.html# and am tempted.
Does anyone know the make / class - Do they sail well? Are there any known niggles to be aware of??

Thanks

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: boater from across the pond needs advice...

Re: boater from across the pond needs advice...

There is a sail boat/sailing section;I think you will likely do better there.
The first thing I would suggest is a professional survey.Especially if it was in salt.
Be very sure the keel/centerboard is in good shape.There is a post in the sailing section.
"keel fell off" And that was probably a fixed keel.If I recall the draft is something like 5 ft. with the keel down probably normal for a boat that size but be sure to consider where you sail.
Is there plenty of water?is it good year round.Be sure to check the rigging especially at the fasteners.I'm sure you will find more detailed suggestions in the sailing section.If your likely to use the canals you may want a mast that is easily lowered.

mikewhite

Cadet
first boat

Hello all, I'm new to sailing and have decided to take the plunge and buy myself my first sailing cruiser this season. I live on the east coast of UK so most likely will be doing coastal sailing. I am currently looking at 'trailer sailers' so as not to have the expense of moorings, so easy launch and retrieval to trailer is important. Finally, I have family that I will be sailing with, so reasonable accomadation / facilities is important (upto a budget!)
I have come across a Minstrel 680 (central steering wheel helm / twin cabin / 9hp inboard / sloop rigged) (http://kent.boatshed.com/minstrel_680-boat-115535.html#) does anyone know anything about the boat?
Is there any difference to sailing a central helm as opposed to a rear helm?
Is the boat stable and easy to handle?
Any advice for a first buyer?

Any help is appreciated,
Thanks
Mike:confused:

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: first boat

Hey Mike,

I merged these two threads together. I left both posts although they are somewhat duplicates. A lttle more info in the second one. I wish the Mrs was a little more accepting of colder water etc. as I too woudl love to take up sailing. Just don't think it's her thing . . . Good luck!

grandbebe

Recruit
Re: first boat

It is important to pay attention to weather changes throughout the shipping destination. The weather is very uncertain at this time
safe sailing