First boat outing this season.

Bayliner1952

Seaman
baylinertahoe.jpgHello,

I would first like to thank everyone for all the help on this forum. There are some really helpful people here and I appreciate it.

I picked up my boat last year after it had been sitting for 4 years. I cleaned the Carb, changed the filters and some other maintenance. It ran perfectly all year. I winterized it last fall, got it shrink wrapped, and waited for this season.
I was quite nervous that I did not winterize properly because this is my first boat, so all is new to me. Last Sat. I brought it out for the first time this season. I was excited to try out my newly installed Faria Depth/water/air gauge. gauge.jpg
She ran beautifully. We went to a fairly local reservoir Mashapaug up in Union CT. The speed limit is 10 mph so we just trolled around and fished all day. The water was 61deg air 65deg.
One thing I may mention is that I have not replaced my water pump yet. I had my eye on the gauge all day and it didn?t get over 180deg. I was planning on replacing it before the first day out, but the pump I got was for the Gen 1 Alpha, not the Gen II. I will be installing it when I get the replacement. I just thought it was interesting that this pump still worked well after 5 years.

Sharing my experience,
Nate

3.0LX Alpha 1 GenII Bayliner 1952 Capri'

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander
Re: First Boat outing

View attachment 94012One thing I may mention is that I have not replaced my water pump yet. I had my eye on the gauge all day and it didn?t get over 180deg. I was planning on replacing it before the first day out, but the pump I got was for the Gen 1 Alpha, not the Gen II. I will be installing it when I get the replacement. I just thought it was interesting that this pump still worked well after 5 years.

Sharing my experience,
Nate

3.0LX Alpha 1 GenII Bayliner 1952 Capri'

Hey Nate,

You have me at a loss here. My boat has a Yamaha motor and drive; not Mercruier. I Thought the Alpha 1 Gen II is the outdrive.:confused: What does the outdrive have to do with the water pump? Your water pump is on your motor. I don't understand why your suprised, or think it's interesting that your water pump has lasted 5 years. Are you referring to the impeller? The impeller inside the waterpump should be changed every year at the end of the boating season, as part of your annual winterization. If the impeller hasn't been changed in five years, there are no doubt, pieces of it throughout your cooling system. This has most likely been causing reduced flow of cool water throughout the system. You say the temperature gauge never read above 180 degrees. You're not overheating, but you're getting close. I've never seen my temperature gauge get past 130 degrees. My boat is in my avatar and signature. She's almost 20 years old. she still has the original motor and all parts are original including the water pump. The impeller is changed every year. Maybe I'm simply not understanding you correctly; but the waterpump is not a seasonably disposable item. The impeller is.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

If the impeller hasn't been changed in five years, there are no doubt, pieces of it throughout your cooling system. This has most likely been causing reduced flow of cool water throughout the system.

I think this is a bit of a hasty conclusion. The impellers can last many years without being replaced. I go about 2-3 years on mine. I'm not saying he shouldn't replace it and it probably has "taken a set" and isn't an effective as a new one, but I doubt it's shredded and blown all over his system.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I agree with EZ ^^^. I recently Started, albeit just for a few minutes, a 1956 15hp Evinrude Fastwin in a
tank, that I know had an impellar that was over 30 years old and it pumped water fine. When I disassembled it, it was still flexible and all in one piece. Storage conditions, Maintenance, temps etc... all play a part in the decomposition of these components over the year(s).

Bayliner1952

Seaman

Hey Nate,

You have me at a loss here. My boat has a Yamaha motor and drive; not Mercruier. I Thought the Alpha 1 Gen II is the outdrive.:confused: What does the outdrive have to do with the water pump? Your water pump is on your motor. I don't understand why your suprised, or think it's interesting that your water pump has lasted 5 years. Are you referring to the impeller? The impeller inside the waterpump should be changed every year at the end of the boating season, as part of your annual winterization. If the impeller hasn't been changed in five years, there are no doubt, pieces of it throughout your cooling system. This has most likely been causing reduced flow of cool water throughout the system. You say the temperature gauge never read above 180 degrees. You're not overheating, but you're getting close. I've never seen my temperature gauge get past 130 degrees. My boat is in my avatar and signature. She's almost 20 years old. she still has the original motor and all parts are original including the water pump. The impeller is changed every year. Maybe I'm simply not understanding you correctly; but the waterpump is not a seasonably disposable item. The impeller is.

Yes, I was talking about the pick up pump inside of the outdrive. Sorry for the confusion. I know it should be replaced each year and I slacked last year. I will be replacing it before I go out next time. Is there any steps I can do to clean out the cooling system if I do find that the impeller is torn/cracked?
I took the thermostat off last year and didnt see any bits around it.
I was just planning on replacing the impeller and gaskets, do you think I need the housing also?

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander

I think this is a bit of a hasty conclusion. The impellers can last many years without being replaced. I go about 2-3 years on mine. I'm not saying he shouldn't replace it and it probably has "taken a set" and isn't an effective as a new one, but I doubt it's shredded and blown all over his system.

I agree with EZ ^^^. I recently Started, albeit just for a few minutes, a 1956 15hp Evinrude Fastwin in a
tank, that I know had an impellar that was over 30 years old and it pumped water fine. When I disassembled it, it was still flexible and all in one piece. Storage conditions, Maintenance, temps etc... all play a part in the decomposition of these components over the year(s).

I have to agree with you... It was a hasty assumption... I should not have said "...there are no doubt peices of it throughout your cooling system." I should have said something to the effect of, there's a good chance, or a high probability of... I'm not trying to split hairs here, please don't take it that way. It just seems to me that changing an impeller annually to avoid fragments throughout the cooling system makes a lot more sense than waiting for it to start.

Mea culpa...:redface:

...And thanks for the reality check!!!;)

DuckHunterJon

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Veritas - I could be wrong as I don't have a Yamaha motor, but I believe you should be running warmer than 130. Most motors want to run between 180 - 200 deg F for peak efficiency. That is the function of the thermostat in the cooling system - to regulate this temperature. Again, I could be wrong and Yamahas could work differently, but you might want to look into it.

OP - congrats on the first trip out! Here's to many more.

Bayliner1952

Seaman

Thanks for the input fellas,

I'll post up a Photo of the old impeller when I replace it. Hopefully soon, I want to get back out there ASAP.

Now taking bets on how many fins left on the rubber... Haha.

And I think i'm going to purchace the kit with a new housing just to be safe. If anyone knows of a system to flush these "Bits" out of the motor, I have been thinking it might be a good idea. Is there some sort of screen before it gets to the recirculation pump?

Thanks again,
Nate

Bayliner1952

Seaman

pump2.jpgpump1.jpgpump3.jpgpump4.jpg
So I finally got to replace the pump, I had a question about a small hose just forward of the shift lever. Is this for the speedometer?
I thought I broke it when I split the upper and lower unit apart. Seems there is a male and a female connector that attaches the 2.

Water pump has not been replaced for atleast 4 years. Bought the boat last year and ran it all season. boat sat for 4 years before that. The old rubber doesnt look too bad if you ask me.

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade

When I replaced mine for the first time I didn't see anything wrong with the old impeller, but She was overheating, replaced it and now she runs at 180 and no problems.

Congrats on your first outing of the season, hope you had a blast.:)

'78 Crusader

Chief Petty Officer

I've experienced bothe scenarios in the past.....an old impellor lasting years and a new impellor lasting one season and shredding to peices. I guess it's on on where you operate your boat most of the time. Of course a muddy or sandy lake or water area will wear an impellor quicker than boating in a clean/clear lake or water area.

I've just replaced my impellor a few weeks ago in out 40hp Yami and it still looked good after two solid seasons but I replaced it anyway.

At a minumu I recomend at least checking the condition of the impellor annually.

Bayliner1952

Seaman

Thanks produceguy.

Does anyone know that this hose just to the right of the shift lever is?
pump4.jpg
I put a straw on both ends to clean it out. The lower portion was able flow, but the upper (going up the upper unit) was clogged.