First Boat EVER!!

munsonRN

Cadet
OK, well, the wife got me to buy my first boat ever. It reminded her of her fathers first boat...he recently passed away at the young age of 57.

Ended up buying a 1980 Sea Ray 195 (I think) open bow with a Mercruiser 898. I'm still trying to figure everything out on what is what as far as type of drive, etc....

Seems to be in pretty good shape. Trailer was just rewired and redone....and came with everything we needed to get started on boating. (Anchor, life jackets, etc...)

Some minor nicks in the gel coat......Some minor tears in the vinyl....and the carpet needs replaced....BUT, it starts easily and runs well. Took it out when we bought it and it ran well. I am going to need to do a few maintenance items on the engine / drive and will be asking LOTS of questions....

Nothing major....as far as I can tell...guess we will see since it is my first...

See if this pic works
boat.jpg

Newbie@boats

Chief Petty Officer
Re: First Boat EVER!!

Welcome to the site!

Boat looks nice for a first boat, you should have seen my first one!

There are tons of great people and info on this site! Feel free to ask anything.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Welcome aboard

Good luck with the new boat.

Please take an on-line boating safety class (free) just to familiarize yourself......... have the wife with you so you are both up to speed.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

And if you dont know when the last time the water pump was changed, change it now.

Woodnaut

Chief Petty Officer

Welcome and congratulations! Family fun - nothing's better. :) The recommendations on the water pump and boating safety course are sage advice. One more suggestion I'll throw in - go find you and your lady some nice, comfortable life vests - not the cheap orange kind. Spend a few bucks and get some that are nice and that you'll wear. If we are on our boat, we have our life jackets on. No exceptions. Ever. Period.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Welcome to iboats

You don't hear that often "my wife got me to buy a boat", normally you are trying to talk the wife into getting a boat, good woman you have there.

I concur with the boaters coarse, never took one and wish I would have, the water can be crazy place and it is not at all like driving a car, they both have steering wheels and burn gas but that is where the similarities stop.

Jump down the te Merc forums and they will get you going on what to do to get the engine in top shape, congrats and enjoy.

choppywaters

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Welcome to iboats and being a new boat owner myself I ask a lot of questions too and these guys are great at answering! Some things you will need to be very specific (engine/lower unit questions) but ask away. Looks like you have a very nice 1st boat and fun times ahead!

southkogs

Staff member

Welcome aboard Munson. I like the look of those old SeaRays. They've got a nice style. Hope y'all enjoy!

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The more you learn about how to use and take care of the boat the more you will enjoy it. Read all you can and Have a great time !!!!

bgc

Ensign

Welcome! Nice Lookin Boat.
Be cautious of 2 footitis as you venture into boat ownership, it can strike with out warning and leads to an excessive amount of boats.....

Join your local Power Squadron. They're a group of like minded boaters and the squads usually have a safe boating course.