FORUM RULES UPDATED - The forum rules have been updated to continue to provide a friendly and safe environment for our member community. Please take a moment to review the updated rules and our terms of use and privacy policy. Click here for Forum Rules which has links to the 'terms of use' and 'privacy policy'.
In Other News . . .
You will notice a few enchancements to the forums to make your experience better. These include: Email Notifications, Thread Previews, Thread Starter Notation, and Emoji Options on the 'Like' icon. . .
Additionally, the merchant portions of the website have been updated and are now operational. . . . Check out iBoats for all your boating gear.
Yeah, I'm not as concerned over depreciation - not much you can do about that. More concerned that its overpriced... Anyone have an approximate idea what re-carpeting would be for a boat this size?
So I just ran through all the online listings agains for used boats within 200kms of me. Not much in this size that's a fish/ski type setup. Everything seems to be 16' or 17'. Comparable seems to be priced $1000 to $2000 higher, and usually have smaller engines or outboards (I like the I/O because of the extra useful space it affords compared to the outboard setups). So I'm thinking I might be able to invest in the interior upgrade and still be around where the market is at right now. Who knows about the future.
Well, more to add to the story now. Looked at another the other day (see pic's).
21.5' 1987 Crestliner - all welded hull. Well take care of. Floors, etc. all redone a few years ago. Little bigger than what I think I need now (probably change my mind in the future...), price reflects value. Gunnels are a little high for the size of my kids to fish out of right now. I'd prefer an open bow, but this boat has enough room, so not really an issue there. Hard to compare two different boats and figure out what's best... This one needs nothing. Other one needs work - probably end up being the same price in the end. All welded vs. riveted, 10 year age difference, tough decisions.
Question around plugs. When checking plugs I've found 5 sooted up (from running at low speed on the hose) but in good condition. One plug was more tan and had a few drops of water on it. Is that an indication of a gasket leak or bad manifold? Compression test was good, same as other cylinders, all within a few psi.
Well if the oil wasn't milky then it could be that the exhaust manifolds are bad and it's ingesting water into the cylinder through an open exhaust valve.
Oil was clean and fresh - but I'm worried about having some major engine work to do. I'm comfortable with auto engines, so that part doesn't scare me too much as the marine engine parts costs and possibly having it out of commission for a period of time - in which case what's the point, and I pay someone to do it...