First Bass Boat

bjbarron

Cadet
Hey guys just want to show the boat i bought last week. I checked it out pretty good but I'm no expert. I got it from a guy I work with he down graded to a smaller boat. The transom looks and feels solid, no cracks. No flex at all when the motor is shaken or stood on. Didn't find any week spots on the deck. So I'm pretty excited. She looks a little rough because the gel coat is all but gone. He did spray it with a epoxy last year but it yellowed and is started flaking off. I already rewired the bildge pumps and live wells. Needs new lights in the capartments and little stuff but i think it will be worth it. It has a good 150 Mariner Magnum with a stainless 3 blade prop. Oh I think thinnk its a 93 model Bass Cat Pantera II. I havent figured out to tell the year of the motor.

Is there a user friendly clear gel coat out there?

Attachments

• IMAG0199.jpg
    IMAG0199.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMAG0201.jpg
    IMAG0201.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMAG0202.jpg
    IMAG0202.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 0

Bondo

Staff member
Re: First Bass Boat

Is there a user friendly clear gel coat out there?

Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,.....

Nope,... Not really any kinda clear coat is gonna fix yer finish....

Sand it Smooth, 'n paint it the color of yer choice....

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Welcome aboard,

Looks like a nice score...

like Bond-o says, prep and paint...done right will look nice and last a long time....

Enjoy fixin and fishin...

GT1M

FlaCowboy

Ensign

Congrats on your first Bass Boat. Be sure and keep the top side of the boat dry as possible (covered) to prevent future water damage.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Be sure and keep the top side of the boat dry as possible (covered) to prevent future water damage.

X 100!

If it was me, I'd have to have a look below deck towards the transom just to make sure she is good to go. The weathered gel coat tells a story of being exposed to the elements.

The decking may not feel soft now, but that could be because someone has laid new plywood over the old rotten decking. Not saying that's the case with your boat, but we see that a lot on this forum.

I hope your boat is A-OK, but you may want to did around a little just to make sure.

jjkc

Seaman Apprentice

I agree with jigngrub I would do further investigation just for piece of mind. I thought my transom wood was alright on my Tracker, but soon found out it was not.

bjbarron

Cadet

Thanks guys for the replys. Glad to be member!!! Im goin to have a good look under the deck. The transom looks to be ok there are no stress cracks around it. The compartment where the transome was pretty clean no water but that a untrained eye looking at it. What's a good way to check it? I can stand on it and it don't flex. Try to push it side to side and it don't flex so maybe its good. Hopefully ill figure out a way to check the inside of the hull with out pulling the cap off. For 1500$ I coudnt say no. Lol

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Drill your transom and stringers in an inconspicous place and examine the shavings, light color and dry is good... dark and wet is bad. Drill the transom down toward the bottom on the inside, this is where the rot will start.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

NO flex is good but core samples don't lie. If they are dry fill the holes with 3M 4200 sealant and go fishin.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

The motor is worth at least what you paid. Nice deal. I do not agree with those that suggest drilling holes in your boat to look for problems. If it's solid, go boating! Why look for trouble?

bjbarron

Cadet

I'm goin to do some core sames this afternoon just to be shure. Thanks again guys ill let yall know what I find out.

I'm goin to do some core sames this afternoon just to be shure. Thanks again guys ill let yall know what I find out.

Great idea. Overall she looks good. Here are my concerns. The PO allowed the boat to sit outside and apparently uncovered. He did cheapo repairs--spraying the gelcoat rather than compound, wax, and elbow grease. Maybe there is a reason, maybe not. In the photo there are two areas (red circle) concerning me.The transom has an aluminum piece covering part of it. Maybe there is a good reason, but I can't see close enough to tell. The rub rail looks like it has been glued? Again, I can't see close enough to tell. Core samples should make you satisfied. Along...use your nose...rotting wood smells.

t1.jpg

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Great idea. Overall she looks good. Here are my concerns. The PO allowed the boat to sit outside and apparently uncovered. He did cheapo repairs--spraying the gelcoat rather than compound, wax, and elbow grease. Maybe there is a reason, maybe not. In the photo there are two areas (red circle) concerning me.The transom has an aluminum piece covering part of it. Maybe there is a good reason, but I can't see close enough to tell. The rub rail looks like it has been glued? Again, I can't see close enough to tell. Core samples should make you satisfied. Along...use your nose...rotting wood smells.

View attachment 135317

Can't say with 100% certainty, but the few older bass boats I have seen, all seem to have a piece of aluminum angle placed in that spot to, what seems to me, prevent chaffing of the glass from the engine mount...but I am still quite a noob at most of this stuff...

Hard to tell if the rub rail is glued or just has, what again seems sorta normal, gobs and gobs of some kind of silicone sealant to make up for gaps between the rubrail and the hull/deck...just sayin what I've seen on most of the ones I've seen, including my tub...and I repeat, I could be way off base here...

I agree with both EZ and WOG, you can look for trouble or not, I personally ignored mine till the engine blew and then did what I am doing...:facepalm:... I knew my boat had issues, but in the end, that was an understatement...

Here's hoping your core samples are as fresh as a newborn's bottom...

bjbarron

Cadet

Well guys only found one spot on the side of one of the compartment were there was a bad spot were someone drill a hole to run lights. Everywhere else looks good. Now just fishing her wiring and figure out how I'm goin to do thw seats.

bjbarron

Cadet

I got a few questions for you guys. The owner before me didnt like the faded look of the gel coat so he decided to spray the boat with a 2 part epoxy. If is flaking off real bad any idea how I can remove this stuff. I can deal with the faded look a whole lot better than this flaky look.
IMAG0177-1.jpg

Also how would you reattach the rub rail. Looks like rivits were used to attach it
IMAG0179.jpg

Thanks
BJ Barron

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

The aluminum angle across the transom is quite common, most bass boats have them, just a trim piece to hide the cap seam.

As far as the rub rail.....new rivets, if you can get to the back side use a rivet backer plate for extra holding power.

Nice find, good luck on the water.

CW

bjbarron

Cadet

Thanks. I be leave I can get to the back side I will give it a try.