FIREWORKS TIED TO 8,800 INJURIES

LadyFish

Admiral
This post is not spam. It's an important message to iboats members that I hope they take seriously.<br /><br />FIREWORKS TIED TO 8,800 INJURIES<br /><br />HELP PREVENT VISION LOSS BY PLAYING IT SAFE ON THE FOURTH<br /><br />Galveston, Texas – There is only one thing certain about fireworks – they blind. Statistics show that in 2002, there were an estimated 8,800 injuries related to fireworks treated in U.S. hospital emergency rooms, many of which caused severe eye injuries. In fact, eyes were the second most commonly injured part of the body, with an estimated 1,200 injuries.<br /><br />According to Prevent Blindness, bottle rockets are the single greatest cause of eye injuries requiring hospitalization. Their flight path is erratic, their fuses are non-standard and their explosive power is enough to turn a “launch site” bottle or can into shrapnel. “While most people recover from their injuries, many permanently lose their sight, some suffer terrible burns, and a few have their lives needlessly wiped out through a custom that has unfortunately become synonymous with American patriotism, but is unbelievably dangerous,” stated Shaut.<br /><br />If you are not convinced that fireworks are dangerous, consider these <br />eye-opening facts:<br /><br />· A 21-year-old college student had emergency eye surgery after an acquaintance threw five bottle rockets into a crowd of young people enjoying Fourth of July festivities. One bottle rocket exploded an inch from her eye, causing severe damage to her macula (the center part of the eye), burns to the retina, and laceration of the eyelid. Vision in her left eye went from 20/20 to 20/200, but has since deteriorated to 20/400. She now has a cataract and is at increased risk of developing glaucoma.<br /><br />· A 12-year-old boy had a firecracker thrown at him. He suffered damage to his retina and pupil that required surgery. The prognosis is that he will probably not regain normal vision in that eye.<br /><br />· A 44-year-old man was bending over a launching tube to relight a firework—it ignited, hitting and lacerating his left eye. He underwent surgery to have the <br />eye removed.<br /><br />· A 3-year-old girl sustained permanent damage to her iris when a firecracker hit <br />a cement wall, throwing cement chips into her eye. <br /><br />· A 33-year-old man was setting off mortar-type fireworks in his backyard. As he leaned over the plastic tubing and lit the fuse, the firework exploded, striking him in the face. He died from head injuries.<br /><br />· A 10-year-old boy was at a drive-in movie theater watching a professional fireworks display. A group of kids were playing with fireworks and one exploded in the boy’s left eye. The eye could not be saved and the boy has permanent facial scars and an artificial left eye.<br /><br />Prevent Blindness has these tips to help prevent fireworks-related injuries:<br /><br />· Do not purchase, use or store fireworks of any type;<br />· Be aware that even sparklers are dangerous – they burn up to 1800 degrees Fahrenheit and cause one third of injuries in children 5 and younger;<br />· Protect yourself, your family, and your friends by avoiding fireworks;<br />· Attend only authorized public fireworks displays, but be aware that even professional displays can be dangerous;<br />· Support legislation that restricts the importation, general sale, and indiscriminate usage of fireworks by children and adults.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral
Re: FIREWORKS TIED TO 8,800 INJURIES

and to think I bought 3 big boxes of real fireworks<br />on My way outa Ohio :p <br />whole niehborhood is invited...

ndemge

Commander

bomb.gif

KennyKenCan

Commander

So, if your playing with your fireworks on the 4th of July, and you end up blowing out an eye...whats the problem, you've got another eye!<br /><br />I don't see the concern over it?<br /><br />Just a 4th of July hazard!<br /><br />Besides, it lets all the doctors at the hospital, actually earn the double time and a half that they are getting for working the holiday!<br /><br />No problem as far as I can see it.<br /><br /> :D :) :cool: :D

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

75 acres out west of town went up in smoke just a couple days ago.. <br /><br />The Reason: Kids playing with fireworks... :rolleyes: Real smart parents let me tell ya.. Dry as a bone here with desert like drought conditions and mommy & daddy are buying fireworks for jr. to play with.. duhhhhhhhhhhhh! :rolleyes:

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Just finished reading from www.pyrouniverse.com/stats.htm . It has some very interesting stats on other accidents as well. Supervision and responsibility is the key for keeping your body parts intact.

ndemge

Commander

I'm on the pyrouniverse forum quite a bit.<br /><br />I recomend anyone that shoots fireworks, professionaly or not, go to a training class.<br /><br />Most Display fireworks companies that sell to the public (ATF permit and permits required) Offer training classes. What you learn for Class B Display fireworks is the same safety points you should follow for Class C Consumer fireworks.

quantumleap

Master Chief Petty Officer

Good post LadyFish. I think after awhile adults get too relaxed about fireworks and let kids have a little too much freedom (pun intended!). Never allow children to use fireworks unsupervised. I'd never forgive myself if I was at fault for one of my kids sustaining a lifelong injury like that. Thanks for the reminder. :cool:

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I burned my hand last year cause I lit a whole box of sparklers at once. They all burned in about 1/2 a second, with them in my hand. :eek: <br /><br />It wasnt burnt that bad, no bandage required, healed in a week.<br /><br />Fireworks are great fun. Just have to be careful.<br /><br />Ken

LadyFish

Admiral

This is my press release. I send several fireworks safety PSA's out each year. We see more and more cases of stupidity and lifelong injuries due to fireworks in the vision business.<br /><br />One celebration of the Chicago Bulls’ fifth championship ended in tragedy for an eleven-year old boy. While watching a neighbor’s amateur fireworks display after the final game, Colin Burns was struck by illegal fireworks that destroyed his left eye. The device exploded as the neighbor was trying to light it, injuring himself, Colin and two of Colin’s friends.<br /><br />Unfortunately, when the rocket-like device exploded, the boy lost his one strong eye: he has amblyopia and afferent pupil defect (APD), which limit the vision in his remaining eye. At best, doctors hope Colin will be able to achieve 20/100 vision—with corrective lenses. Colin was released from Christ Hospital five days after the accident, but faced reconstructive surgery to rebuild his lower eyelid. <br /><br />Fireworks statistics show:<br /><br />¨ 72 percent of the victims were male;<br /> <br />¨ The greatest number of eye injuries were associated with rockets;<br /><br />¨ Sparklers are the second highest cause of fireworks injuries requiring trips to the emergency room. Sparklers can heat up to 1800 degrees Fahrenheit, hot enough to melt gold;<br /> <br />¨ From 1980-1994, fireworks accounted for 29 fires, 65 explosions and 114 deaths. The victims of these accidents ranged in ages from 4 months to 88 years old;<br /> <br />¨ Misuse caused 60 percent of injuries;<br /> <br />¨ Data from the United States Eye Injury Registry shows that bystanders are more often injured by fireworks than operators themselves; and<br /> <br />¨ 44 percent of the injured are children ages 19 years old and under.<br /><br />Just a reminder to be safe everyone and have a wonderful 4th.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I too have been involved in the fireworks/explosives industry for over 30 years and accident free all that time. <br /><br />Most injuries are a result of being careless and just stupid. Evolution at work! Read the clip below .....<br /><br />The number of U.S. traffic fatalies hit a 13-year high in 2003, with a total of 43,220 deaths on U.S. highways and 40 percent of those were alcohol-related, according to preliminary National Highway Traffic Safety Administration figures, which a MADD spokenperson called "unacceptable." <br />NHTSA preliminary figures indicated an increase of 405 highway deaths overall in 2003 than the previous year and the most since 1990 when 44,509 people were killed. The 40 percent figure for alcohol-related deaths is unchanged since 2002, but the actual number of deaths was 18 less than in 2002.<br /><br />My point is to focus on SAFETY! Wishing everyone a safe and healthy holiday.<br /><br />Bob

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Wow Bob, thats about 118 people a day die in vehicle accidents. Sad note is, there would be less if people paid attention to what they do. Fireworks is no different. What would life be if you can't enjoy it?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

The tendency today, usually from the Left, is to insulate us from all risks of life. In the case of fireworks I would like to remind you all that as bad and controlling as Mao Tse Tung was, he never took the fireworks from the hands of his subjects. Except in the case of extreme fire danger, why should we give up our ability to participate in the glorious 4th of July celebration.

JRJ

Commander

I've shot hard rock for money and fireworks for fun. I still remember the pain from the firecracker that went off in my hand, by my ear,when I was 12.....ouch! Maybe why I was so carefull a few years later with the real deal.

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

Yep, fun in a box, but just be careful or have a scar as a conversation piece for the rest of your life. Parents watch your kids. Parental supervision is one major problem. That's my opinion. Just keep an eye on them.<br />Bassy

aspeck

Staff member

But it is so much fun to blow things up!:-O

dogsdad

Lieutenant

I'm all for safety and people not doing stupid things. But promote legislation?? NO WAY! Why should I (or ANYONE!)not be allowed to do something just because some moron is too stupid to do the same thing without hurting himself??<br /><br />I'm not an evolutionist by any stretch, but on this subject I say THREE CHEERS FOR DARWIN!<br /><br /><br />-dd-

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Trent, LMAO!! at that dog. I know that is exactly what happens to create accidents, but that is funny. Looks like nobody got hurt. Thanks for sharing that. Dang terroist dog!....

mscher

Lieutenant

For all of their good intentions, the Prevent Blindness should push to also outlaw sticks, since "you"ll put an eye out".<br /><br />For better or worse, amateur fireworks are one of the last pure freedoms we can anjoy as americans, exactly as they did on July 4th, 1776. There are not many freedoms like this left anymore.<br /><br />That is why normally "law-abiding" people will ignore local ordinances and fire bans and light away. It is an american right to be a little stupid and dangerous one day of the year.<br /><br />If you blow off your fingers or lose an eye, oh well, but please be extra careful of others, especially children. <br /><br />Enjoy your fireworks and your freedom as an American, this 4th of July.