Fired up the 15hp today. Few?

4.0l sahara

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well today I pulled out the 1956 15hp johnson that I just bought. It was tuned up and foged about a year ago. So I mixed up a 24:1 mix and she started pretty good. It pumps a ton of water. I think the impeller is new. Well if I run the throttle at shift it runs like butter. But after it was warmed up if I try to idle it starts to hicup pretty violantly. If I give it choke it still does it just a little less. The crap and sluge that came out of it was some of the worst I've seen. I think he whant overboard on the fooging oil. I'm going to take a look at the coils and see how they look. The plugs are brand new. What should I look for and at?

Thanks.:D

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral
Re: Fired up the 15hp today. Few?

So how does it run overall in the Slow/Shift to Fast speed range. If it's just a little rough at idle after it warms up, put some Sea Foam in your tank to help clean out the fogging oil that may be left in the carb. Also check to see that the low speed needle (top) is 1 and 1/4 to 1 and 1/2 half turns out: turn it clockwise and count the turns until it stops, then back it out. Bottom needle (high speed) should be 3/4 turn out. Those are good baselines. To fine tune, start it and let it warm up, run the throttle up and adjust the high speed until it runs best, then richen it a little (counterclockwise). Idle it down and adjust the top needle the same way. You may just need to adjust the high and slow speed mixtures a little. You'll have to tweak both once you put it on the boat, but that's normal. Once you get them set, tighten the nut that the needle goes into on the face of the carb and you shouldn't have to mess with it again...unless little hands like to play with your motors.

4.0l sahara

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ya I was planning on resetting the needles I'll give that a try:D

jbjennings

Captain

Have you really had that motor for a couple of weeks and not run it??? What kind of person are you?:)
When I get a new one in, I'm like a little kid at Christmas and will stay up 'til midnight trying to look over it/ tune it/ etc. just so I can run it as quick as possible. Of course it usually takes me about 2 weeks to get all the bugs out.
I agree with the mixture adjustments. Sounds like somethings running too lean.
I demand a running picture!:D
JBJ

4.0l sahara

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'll get a pic tomarrow. I wanted to start it but was lazy and the weather wasn't the best

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Before you start a lot of fiddlin - put it on a boat, drop it in the water and run the crap (literally) out of it.

wbeaton

Commander

Before you start a lot of fiddlin - put it on a boat, drop it in the water and run the crap (literally) out of it.

Agreed. Do this first. Then adjust the settings to your boat.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

JBJ, you keep forgetting we live in the land of snow! There's still 2' on the ground here! I cant run a test barrel or it will freeze at night... (ok, it's getting close to the point where I can now) so all my winter engines I collected sit there till the spring... although I'm slow at testing in the best of times... I have many engines that I have bought and tossed in the shed untested...I wish I had time to test em all :)

jbjennings

Captain

Dang Steve----STILL snowed in???
You're right, I did forget because it's getting on the verge of getting hot around here. Another month and it will be miserably hot!
This just reinforces my cunning plan of buying my old motors from up in your area or Northern U.S. Heck, it sounds like if you ran 'em constantly you could only use those motors for a few months of the year! I also like the fact that there aren't any stumps to hit up in you area and that folks keep their motors in heated basements..
Been catching some fish lately; shoot, it's almost bream fishing weather. I can't wait to find some so me and my boy can go tear 'em up. He's 6 yrs. old and loves to fish. I also have another boy on the way in August.:D
So I'm having lots of fun in the warm South!

Sahara,
I wouldn't worry about the motor, I'd almost guarantee it will be fine. A few adjustments or a carb cleaning at the most and I'll bet it will truly run like a new one. I look forward to seeing it in action.
Later,
JBJ

4.0l sahara

Petty Officer 1st Class

The weather here is getting nice no snow left. It's hit 70 a few times this week and is going to be sunny and 60 all week I will take it out this week since I don't have school. I'm not worried.:D

4.0l sahara

Petty Officer 1st Class

DSC07682.jpg

4.0l sahara

Petty Officer 1st Class

This is the hicup I'm going to reset the carbs now.

4.0l sahara

Petty Officer 1st Class

Can't wait to run it wide pen to get all the gewy sludge out that is coming out of it.:eek:
DSC07684.jpg

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Actually that test water looks a lot better than mine usually does!

4.0l sahara

Petty Officer 1st Class

Also 24:1 is the correct ratio right?;)

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Nice work on the stand. Yep you've got the mix right...probably just needs to have the crud blown out on the boat. Soon as it gets a bit warmer here, I'm going to the lake to decarb the 57 18 hp Johnson and the 57 E-Rude Big Twin 35 hp. I love pre-emptive moskweeto fogging!

4.0l sahara

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think I'm going to change the lu oil even no I was told it was done then go run the carp out of it.:D

jbjennings

Captain

Did he have to show that barrel of crud? The guy from Australia is gonna send us all death threats...:D
I hate to say it but you're not going to "run it all out"...
One of these days when you're old and decrepit you can put the electric starter on it. I hear a mercury solenoid will fit under the cowl and make it look really nice (no big solenoid box to mount in the boat).
Nice pics,
JBJ