Firearms (Rifle) question......

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Firearms (Rifle) question......

at 250 -- nope, you couldn't go wrong at all Butch!! :) <br /><br />enjoy and have a good time using it.. ;)

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

Looks like you have the right idea Butch, tho a little overkill on the scope. Enjoy, and play safe :)

dogsdad

Lieutenant

...and I will add this to what bomar says: it's about the ballistic coefficient of the bullet also---the blunt shape of the bullets used in .30-30 cartridges causes them to shed velocity relatively quickly. This leads to an even more rainbow-like trajectory.<br /><br />HOWEVER, there's not a thing wrong with the old .30 WCF. When it was introduced way back in the earliest days of smokeless powder, it was on the cutting edge and was considered to be a screamin' mimi at 2300 (or so) feet per second. When compared to the old black powder cartridges (@ around 1600 fps), it was indeed a screamin' mimi.<br /><br />As others have said already, it's about using the right bullet for the job and putting it in the right place. I wouldn't take a .30-30 on a grizzly hunt, but it would sure beat using a sharp stick do defend one's self from griz. And a properly used .30-30 is a fine deer getter too.<br /><br /><br />-dd-

one more cast

Captain

I guess everyone has about covered it but here goes my take. The 30/30 is a great close range brush gun,By brush gun I mean easy to maneuver in the brush not shoot through brush.I just seen the results of a test where different calibers and different cartridges were shot through the brush at a deer sized target and NONE of the bullets hit the target.Regardless to what people believe a bullet will not cut through brush, it will be deflected if it hits a twig. Any who I prefer a 30/06 because I hunt some open fields.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

More deer are bagged, every year, with 30-30's than all other calibers combined. A great gun if used within it's capabilities.

Dunaruna

Admiral

Link, in 1985 a customer gave me a 30/30 winchester (no scope) in lieu of paying an account, he owed me $250.00. I sold it to a farmer with an emu problem for $300.00. Who won out in that deal?<br /><br />Aldo

f_inscreenname

Commander

Bought a Winchester 30-30 with a 9X scope from a local pawn shop. Looked and performed perfect. Total cost $137.89. I love it. Perfect woods gun.

Kenneth Brown

Captain

I have an older Marlin that I love. The Winchesters are lighter and easier to carry long distances but the Marlins heft is nice to have also. If I would have bought the gun it would be a Marlin in 45-70. I really want a big gun, no need, just want. This gun was my grandfathers, and that in itself makes it priceless to me.

tylerin

Commander

More animals killed on the prarie and in the woods w/ a 30-30 than any other gun in history....enjoy

Link

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by Dunaruna:<br /> Link, in 1985 a customer gave me a 30/30 winchester (no scope) in lieu of paying an account, he owed me $250.00. I sold it to a farmer with an emu problem for $300.00. Who won out in that deal?<br /><br />Aldo
Looks like everyone came out just fine on that deal! :)

f_inscreenname

Commander

Originally posted by Kenneth Brown:<br /> If I would have bought the gun it would be a Marlin in 45-70. I really want a big gun, no need, just want. .
A 45-70. Me too. :) The shells are so big you can shake them and hear the powder shake around inside. :eek:

Kenneth Brown

Captain

Something around there F_. A 45-70, 444 Marlin, or to tell the truth one in 44 mag would do just fine. I do lots of "wood walking" in hog country and usually carry my 357 revolver so a little more power would be nice to have. I have seen a 357 richocet off the side of a 350 lb boars neck. No blood from the hog but my drawers were awfully brown.

f_inscreenname

Commander

I wonder if anyone has tried to use hog neck skin in a ballistic vest :D