Firearms (Rifle) question......

Butch Ammon

Petty Officer 1st Class
Greetings everyone. I hope this isn't bad timing (due to all the internet forums and threads about the hunter shootings in Wisconsin).... I just want to ask a question for the fellow firearms owners out there:<br /><br />About 6 months ago, a buddy at work had new baby. Well, anyway, you know how things go from there... His wife said, "sorry - the gun goes". The buddy had a nice Marlin lever action 30-30 rifle with a Simmons scope on it. After some research and firearm internet surfing, he told me "$250.00 - take it. It's a sweet shooter and sighted to 100 yards". Here in Virginia, there is no law prohibiting private firearms sales. I already own firearms, have a CWP, and so does my buddy. Anyway, I jumped on this offer and bought his old Marlin 30-30. I spent a few weeks at the local outdoor range "getting to know it", so to speak. I fell in love with it from that moment on. It's a sweet, snappy, little rifle for deer hunting. What do you think of the classic, tried and true, 30-30 rifle? Now my "one of each" philosophy is complete: I have a Remington 870 12GA shotgun, a compound bow, a small handgun, and now I have a deer hunting rifle. Who else owns or has owned a 30-30? What do you/did you think of them?<br /><br />Butch A.

SoulWinner

Commander
Re: Firearms (Rifle) question......

Never owned one, but I fired one once and immediatly wanted one. Sweet little rifle there.

NYMINUTE

Captain

Hope the anti-gun whinebabies are not monitoring these covert actions :D

jinx

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Don't have a Marlin 30-30, but I have my father's old 1947 Winchester 94 that I have used. A joy to carry in the woods.<br /><br />I use your Marlin's big brother, a model 336 in 35 Remington. I like its' extra bullet weight for the brushy conditions where I hunt.<br /><br />Jinx

ndemge

Commander

My dad has an old winchester 30-30 lever ... I love that gun.

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

Up here we call them Brush guns, Great Weapon for 150yds or less. There are few guns I would rather cary threw the woods as they come on target fast and also give fast follow up in tight situations. 30-30 is a dependable decent cartdidge and should serve you well just respect it's limits and do not ask it to do things it was not designed to do. for instance long range or knockdown power...Dont get me wrong it will do the job, just with limtations.<br /><br />Congrats on a fine weapon.

NOSLEEP

Commander

I have a 30-30 Winchester 94 trapper. <br />It has a 16" barrel & open sights. Its a great<br />bush gun only about 6 pounds. Because of the short<br />barrel its accurate to about 75 to 100 yards, after<br />that its the wrong rifle.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I know a 30-30 is a very popular gun and many deer are taken with it, but I personally have had nothing but bad luck with them.<br /><br />On two occasions I had to track a wounded deer after shooting them with a 30-30. They were long tracks. The shots were taken at less than 100 yards.<br /><br />Since changing to a 30-06 the most I have had to walk is 50 yards.<br /><br />Ken

arboatdr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I still have my old marlin 30-30. Killed a many a deer with it. Great brush gun. I've retired mine until my son gets old enough to carry it. DH

ED21

Master Chief Petty Officer

I have a Marlin 30-30 w/ a scope & it's a nice rifle. It's plenty powerful enough for the distances I feel comfortable shooting. I've found the Remington 150 grain core-loct are the most accurate, but the 180 gr. aren't far behind. It didn't like Winchester stuff at all.<br />Get a hammer extension if it doesn't have it. It makes cocking easier w/ a scope.<br />I believe the 30-30 round was the original rifle cartridge designed to use smokeless powder (not blackpowder).

ZooMbr

Petty Officer 1st Class

30-30 a great cartage for game. It's all about distance and shot placement. With proper shot placement any cartage does the job -- without it; any cartage will result in lost game. Rather pass up a shot than take a marginal one. On shot placement: the largest buck (mule deer) we got in E. Oregon one year was with a 22 pistol - brother went squirrel hunting while we were taking a lunch break. Jump the buck about 200 yards up the draw and only 50 ft from him. Put it down with a shot to the head -- did take 6 shots but as I said - shot placement.<br /><br />Have a 30-30 marlin; carry it when hunting brush or taking my dog for walks in the brush. Haven't had to use it but have jumped a couple of grizzlies in the hills a mile south of the ranch. Like to hike around and see what game is around; after the first encounter decided to carry a gun. 30-30; light to carry, fast on sight and good knockdown at close range. Could carry my 12 ga. slug gun but the 30-30 easier.<br /><br />My choice most of the time is 270 or 7mm depending on number of shells I have loaded at the time. + our shots out here on deer and elk can be long, not unusual to be out 250 - 300 yds. 100 yds is considered close -- have to back up if you want to brag on how great the shot was.

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

Great gun, love them. Only complaint is the bullett is heavier than some. You get more drop per foot of travel. Long range not so accurate. Very nice gun.

Whaler Proud

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have an original 1894 30-30 Winchester saddle rifle (saddle ring even) and have used it many times. It has an open sight and sniper sight (? The kind where you lift up the sight at the rear and it has a slide to adjust the range).<br /><br />My Dad used this rifle exclusively for years when deer hunting and I have had many great experiences with it. I use my Remington and scope more often now because of getting older. I just don't want to track the deer as far as I used to.

Butch Ammon

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by Ed:<br />Get a hammer extension if it doesn't have it. It makes cocking easier w/ a scope.<br />
It's already got one. I flipped it around for lefty (yeah, I know... I'm weird... I shoot righty guns lefty). ;) <br /><br />I have the 30-30 sighted in at 1" high at 50 yards and groups the size of a quarter, by using Remington Core-Lokt 170gr rounds.<br /><br />The scope on this Marlin AS30 30-30 is the kicker... It's got a Simmons Pro Hunter 4-12X40 scope (translation: there's more scope than gun!) and has the raised "see through" scope rings too. Under 50 yards, I just use plain sights. 50 yards and over, I use the scope - which has an adjustable objective out to 300 yards!<br /><br />It's a beautiful rifle and a joy to carry in the woods. I can sit in a tree stand with it and keep things less than 100 yards and it's perfect. I carry it through the brush and thickets and it handles that with ease as well.<br /><br />Butch A.

spratt

Lieutenant

Originally posted by kenimpzoom:<br /> I know a 30-30 is a very popular gun and many deer are taken with it, but I personally have had nothing but bad luck with them.<br /><br />On two occasions I had to track a wounded deer after shooting them with a 30-30. They were long tracks. The shots were taken at less than 100 yards.<br /><br />Since changing to a 30-06 the most I have had to walk is 50 yards.<br /><br />Ken
I have to agree somewhat...I have never had the bad experience, but for all around shooting, deer OR elk, I prefer the .06...had a 30-30 once and really like the gun very much, especially the size...

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by deputydawg:<br /> Great gun, love them. Only complaint is the bullett is heavier than some. You get more drop per foot of travel.
Need a Physics refresher there....<br /><br />Gravity affect all items equally regardless of mass. Recall that Galileo conducted experiments using a ball on an inclined plane to determine the relationship between the time and distance traveled - The story that Galileo demonstrated his findings by dropping two cannon balls off the Leaning Tower of Pisa is just a legend.<br /><br />The acceleration at the surface of our Earth is computed for any object, regardless of mass, follows: g = 32 ft/s²<br /><br />The reason for a greater drop is the velocity of the bullet is slower, therefore gravity has a longer time to act on the bullet in flight.

aspeck

Staff member

30-30 is a fun brush gun - great for thick cover and deep woods hunting. Not for use in the open woods or fields. 180 grain bullets are my personal favorite in a 30-30, man, you can just about shoot through a tree with them. They are not fast, a deer on the run may be able to outrun the bullet, but it can't hide from the bullet!<br /><br />Enjoy it, and have fun. If you are comfortable with the gun you are using, that is the most important thing. Shucks, a well placed .22 will drop a deer. (This is not an endorsement for using a .22.)<br /><br />So, have fun with it, and go get some meat for the freezer!

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

great catridge! .. like guys said before me .. a 'brush gun'.<br /><br />not a fan of lever actions but its a sweet lil deal.<br /><br />you made me choke when I read that it has a 4-12x40 scope .... LMAO .. I've got a 4-16x40 mounted on my Sako 75 in 7mm Rem Mag for shots I might get out to 500yds ... :D :D <br /><br />that kills me.. but, a good score for sure Butch.

Link

Rear Admiral

Have a model 94 Winchester 30-30. Great little brush deer gun. Can't say enough about it. Also have the hammer extension but so far don't use a scope with it. Keeping it simple. BTW that little flip up rear sight is cool. To buy them as a after market item runs about a $100.00. Your Marlin has a little smoother lever action than the Winchester. Don't understand your friends, wifes, thinking but it turned out good for you :)

Butch Ammon

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by Link:<br /> Don't understand your friends, wifes, thinking but it turned out good for you :)
That's what I think too! ;) <br /><br />Truth to the whole story.... My buddy used to hunt years ago - 7, 8, years ago to be exact. Since then, the Marlin sat in a closet most of the time, locked in its case. Word has it, he originally bought the high power scope first, then was going to buy a 7mm-08 or something, to use the scope with, but ran out of $$$$. So he ended up getting the scope mounted on the old Marlin 30-30 instead. Cracks me up too, when you zoom it out to 12x power! You can clearly see the pupil on the eye of a red fox crossing a field at 100 yards! :D Overkill on the scope is right! But, for $250 for an unblemished 30-30 with the massive scope, I couldn't go wrong.<br /><br />Butch A.