fire from carb merc 2bbl 1992 4.3 V6

rewdan

Seaman
Thread starter
Joined
Aug 14, 2009
Messages
59
Hi, some of you will have read my previous posts regarding my carb, in a previous post I told of hoe whilst cleaning the carb I managed to burn of the threads for the power valve and metering jets, I have glued these in now and rebuilt the carb. I was having problems before with idle turn over. Anyway, I can get the engine to fire up with the throttle completely open and the flame arrestor off, then I get the engine temperature up to normal if I reduce to 1000 rpm. As soon as I go lower than 1000 rpm the engine cuts out and I get a small fire burning in the top of the carb, last's a few seconds and I put it out by smothering it with a small dry rag.
Any ideas?

The engine doesn't seem to want to fire with the flame arrestor on either.
Cheers
 

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Joined
Aug 31, 2004
Messages
62,321
Re: fire from carb merc 2bbl 1992 4.3 V6

Hi, some of you will have read my previous posts regarding my carb, in a previous post I told of hoe whilst cleaning the carb I managed to burn of the threads for the power valve and metering jets, I have glued these in now and rebuilt the carb.

Dude, you need a new carb, you can't glue in a power valve and jets .......................... You are dangerous!
 

Volphin

Lieutenant
Joined
Jun 5, 2011
Messages
1,405
Re: fire from carb merc 2bbl 1992 4.3 V6

Whoa! I concur! Glue and carbs DO NOT MIX. You need a new one... badly.
Is your boat insurance up to date? Just asking... ;)

V
 

rewdan

Seaman
Thread starter
Joined
Aug 14, 2009
Messages
59
Re: fire from carb merc 2bbl 1992 4.3 V6

yep, time for a new carb. I did use epoxy resin that can be used for fuel tanks and exhausts! Really wanted to check the engine was running before paying for another carb. You guys think a new carb will get over my idle problem?
 

dnemeth

Cadet
Joined
Sep 2, 2010
Messages
22
Re: fire from carb merc 2bbl 1992 4.3 V6

I sure there are a few used two barrel carbs floating around.
 

rewdan

Seaman
Thread starter
Joined
Aug 14, 2009
Messages
59
Re: fire from carb merc 2bbl 1992 4.3 V6

Not in my neck of the woods, Ibiza Spain.
I am back to the UK next week so will start looking, maybe get her wet next year. The boat that is!
Can you tell me if you can swap a merc carb for a rochester one if their both 2bbl?
 
Top