Fir, Aspen, or Pine... Choose one for stringer core

NickAndJena

Petty Officer 2nd Class
On Saturday I did some work on the engine which is at my uncle's shop. I replaced the oil pan gasket and did some other minor work. All went well there.

Sunday I cut out all of the decking and can finally see all the stringers and ribs. I can now see that I need to replace two stringers and one rib. So I'll be taking those out and building the stringers up. I may need some more fiberglass before it's all done with, but I kinda new that anyway. Here are the reconstruction steps for pieces underneath the decking:

1. Fabricate a new rib to replace the one someone took out before we bought the boat.
2. Remove and replace one of the main inboard stringers
3. Remove an replace possibly two of the outboard stringers (just portions of those though, some of the wood is still solid)
4. Remove and replace a main rib which is on the front side of where the fuel tank goes.
5. Replace the portions of the stringers in the stern that butt up against the transom.
6. Replace all decking.

After that, it will be time to get the engine dropped back in, and put the carpeting in, etc... We fell a little behind on applying the fillet mixture around the new transom boards this weekend, so I hope to catch up on that during the upcoming week.

Now I'm at another decision point as to what type of wood to use for the stringers and ribs. The choices are
Douglas Fir
Aspen
"Select" Pine

I was going to do the Doug Fir but the Lowes nearby only has that in pieces that will be too narrow. The widest they have is "1x6" where I will need a "1x8" for the main stringer and both ribs. I'm thinking of going with the Aspen because it should be strong enough, is light, and is available in many sizes...

Which wood type would you choose? Does it even matter?

I'm seriously considering aspen, is that a bad idea?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Fir, Aspen, or Pine... Choose one for stringer core

Which wood type would you choose? Does it even matter?
I'm seriously considering aspen, is that a bad idea?

Ayuh,..... Use Plywood,... CDX is just Fine for what you're doing,....

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Yes please use plylwood...

Doug Fur ply treated with resin I found not to warp as much after you cut it.

YD.

NickAndJena

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok, I suppose I could get another sheet of 3/4" MDO (doug fir plywood) and cut the stringers and ribs (floor) out of that. It looks like they used dimensional lumber to build the stringers originally though, any reasoning why I should stray from what Glastron did?

I'm not saying the manufacturer is the end-all-be-all but I've read many times that we should replicate what the manufacturer did...

Can anyone explain why we should go with plywood for the stringers?

Bondo

Staff member

Can anyone explain why we should go with plywood for the stringers?

Ayuh,.... Plywood is just plain Stronger than dimensional lumber...

Use 3/4" plywood,... It's Stronger,+ lighter than the 1x lumber...

Glassing,+ sealing it is the key to it, no matter the wood...

Sizes,+ shapes are Much easier with plywood too...

NickAndJena

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok, okay... I hear ya.

A local guy was a big fan of the solid lumber, I already went over this decision point in my head which is why the new transom is MDO 3/4". I'll get another sheet of that and use it.

Thanks Fellas!