Finnaly changed over the tackle boxes

LubeDude

Admiral
I mentioned before on another post that I was going to go with the tackle bag system this year, Well, I finnaly bought the big one at Wall-Mart and got around to changing everything over last night. It took three hours to go through everything, clean, repace hooks, throw away old pork rinds and such. Everything nice and neat and only one bag to take out of the boat when I get home and only one to put in when I go! Now its changing line time tonight, Boy, aint we got fun?? Now if My boat ran Id have something to do with it. The Bass are in major prespawn and I cant go fishing. Come to think about it, I havnt bothered to get my fishing licence!

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Finnaly changed over the tackle boxes

Only one bag? :confused: <br /><br />There is no way Walmart has a bag big enough for me. <br /><br />Plano 6300.<br />8 3700 organizers<br />3 3600 organizers<br />1 spiiner/crankbait organizer<br />1 2' long foam wrap organizer for wire spinners<br />1 sealed ammo box for those stinky powerbaits<br />Then there is the spare/reserve supplies and baits that stay home.<br /><br />Maybe I need lighter line, so I can lose some of those lures.

muskyone

Master Chief Petty Officer

sounds like me roscoe i dont even have a tackle box just a bunch of planos

jimr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I just upgraded the one i bought last year it held 4 plano 3600 boxes the new one is a Flambeau 5005 series as of now i have some extra room but not for long i have a feeling oh yeah bass pro shops wanted 50 bucks for it got it at wally world for 25 :D

jimr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

LubeDude

Admiral

Well, I used to be there too, but if you look back at the fishing trips youve gone on you will realize you only use certain lures anyway. Ya, Ive been there, done that with taking everything I own fishing with me, but Ive fished enough now to know what Im going to use for the day, the rest can stay home. If I use 3 dozen plastic worms, a dozen spinnerbaits, a dozen jigs, and close to 25 crankbaits in a fishing day, I cant afford to fish anymore! :eek:

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I don't take them all with me every outing.<br />The boxes are used to separate the different types.<br />Musky/northern sized top water, floaters, suspending, crankbaits, leaders, etc<br />Walleye/bass/northern sized lures<br />Jigs<br />Spoons<br />Small lures for panfish, perch, crappie<br />Sinkers, hooks, floats<br />Tools and survival- pliers, cutters, hook sharpener, jaw spreaders, bandages, tape, lighter, knife, etc.<br /><br />I store all of them in the boat, and take out what I won't need for the day.<br />Same with the rods. Theres no sense in hauling a musky rod down to the local 60 acre pond that only holds panfish.<br /><br />Then the toolbox and spare prop.<br />And the gym bag I take when I'm going out on big remote waters, just in case- plastic tarp, blanket, cans of soup.<br />The cooler, water jug, anchors, raingear, lifejacket, nets.<br />I think I have too much stuff.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />NOT!! :D

WEH

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I went from a small tackle box, to a medium, to both the medium and the small to large to large, medium and small all together then added some loose Plano boxes plus some plastic bags and stuffing my pockets. It got pretty unmanageable. <br /><br />Then I tried a medium/large tackle bag and eliminated a lot of stuff I didn't think I would use or wouldn't fit in the bag. The bag was very organized but I found it awkward to use in the boat. Also, there were a few things that I thought I needed but just wouldn't fit in the bag so I had to add a box to the kit. I was sorta back where I started.<br /><br />Then, I had a stroke of genius (or a stroke of lightning or maybe just a stroke - whatever): I finally realized I NEVER used over half of the stuff I carried around. Actually, mentally replaying my fishing trips over the past ten years I realized I usually used only two or three of the rod/reel combinations and a handful of jigs, spinners, and other assorted hardware.<br /><br />Now I carry a Plano Magnum 44 tackle box, with a lot of empty space. I find it easy to work with in the boat and I can't say I ever feel I'm missing something I need. <br /><br />Perhaps it's just a passing phase and I'll wake up some morning and realize I've made a really bad mistake and pull out those long-neglected boxes and bags and all the fishing treasures they hide. Perhaps I really do need all that stuff and old age has impaired my judgment.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

My dad puts 3 lures in his pocket, and a leatherman ans jaw spreaders on his belt.<br />Thats it. :( :D

LubeDude

Admiral

Rosco: Seems you fish for a lot of different speices, but all my wife and I ever fish for is Bass and ocationaly Panfish for dinner. Sometimes a trout fishing expidition if we can find a place that will still let us fish up in the woods. Then its like you say, I can carry everything I need in my pocket! Sure do love wading along trout fishing a stream!

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Well, bass fishing isn't the greatest in my neck of the woods. Sure we have them, but they aren't as plentiful or large as our other species.<br /><br />On vacations to Canada, its northern and walleye, but I try to spend a day fishing perch and whitefish, they are fun. <br /><br />Around home, our bass season doesn't open till June 15th, and not too many around. <br /><br />Walleyes are about the only legal springtime gamefish. Starting in the rivers in a week or two, or as soon as the ice is gone. <br /><br />Then in mid May, the rivers fill up with whitebass on their spawning runs.<br /><br />Panfish are everywhere, with some fine crappie and bluegill action in my area. And they provide feed for the northern and musky.<br /><br />Many of our lakes have all of these species.<br /><br />If at first you don't suceed, switch to another species that may be biting. :)

schaiss

Seaman

Boat out for a two hour skakedown on 4/19. Reels all spun with new line. Box of 50 2/0 circle hooks for live lining herring... and the herring are just arriving... Those big bass will be here SOON!

Capn Mike

Chief Petty Officer

Seems like there are new colors of Kwikfish and Alvins every year, and so, of course, I'm dumb enough to buy them. Don't do anything with "last year's"...might need them someday :rolleyes: <br />So I whined and got a new humongous Plano for Christmas: 4 big drawers, large storage area, lots of lure hanger-thingies (that's fishing talk to you amateurs :p ). Lots of empty slots...for about 2 months, then I'd bought enough new stuff to have to re-arrange this "primary" tackle box with 4 other "auxiliary" boxes. Good thing I have a 24' boat: I'd have to short-change myself with anything smaller :eek: <br />I know it's dumb....but I just can't bring myself to throw away a lure that worked back in 1973....