Finishing Basement-Ceiling Decisions

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
So, we're currently in the process of finishing our basement, and need to decided what to do with the ceiling. Sheetrock is out of the question, as we are not drywalling a majority of the walls, and only framing a small bathroom and utility closet.

My first thought was a drop ceiling. That said, we would have to anchor the perimeter into the concrete walls, and would be bringing the already low ceiling height down another 5-6". I'm 6'3, so this would be problematic.

Our other thoughts are painting the ceiling. Typically, you'll see either black or white, but we were thinking a medium bluish gray, which would match our flooring and counters pretty well, without being too dark.

Thoughts?

aspeck

Staff member
Well, it is your house, so do what you want. Not being smart, but who really cares what a bunch of guys who will probably never see it in person think? If height is a problem, you don't want to do a drop ceiling. You could glue/tack ceiling tiles to the ceiling to give it the acoustics and some insulating value, but that would end up being more work than painting. There is nothing wrong with painting. Light colors will make it look bigger and more "airy." Darker colors can make a basement look like a dungeon. So it depends on the look you are going for. Whatever you decide, have fun! The one thing about painting, it is not permanent. If you don't like the color you can paint it a different color, or you can cover it with a different covering.

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
Well, it is your house, so do what you want. Not being smart, but who really cares what a bunch of guys who will probably never see it in person think? If height is a problem, you don't want to do a drop ceiling. You could glue/tack ceiling tiles to the ceiling to give it the acoustics and some insulating value, but that would end up being more work than painting. There is nothing wrong with painting. Light colors will make it look bigger and more "airy." Darker colors can make a basement look like a dungeon. So it depends on the look you are going for. Whatever you decide, have fun! The one thing about painting, it is not permanent. If you don't like the color you can paint it a different color, or you can cover it with a different covering.

Well, this isn't our forever house, and we hope to sell in 4-5 years. I would value outside opinions, as sooner rather than later, it will no longer be our house.

I thought about gluing up the tiles, but that would require rerouting some electric and plumbing. Thinking the paint is gonna be the best option. Definitely want to avoid the dungeon look. This is what we've done so far.

N0W3tVv.jpg

Q72HMbi.jpg

8YqMSJO.jpg

ccdft18.jpg

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Your home is your biggest investment. Doing things half rear ended detracts from its value.

From a resale perspective, dry wall is your best bang for the buck.

Drop ceiling would be next. Only need 2x tile thickness drop

Painting is next best, only because the next owner could “finish” the project with minimal effort.

Anything other than a white ceiling will cost in resale.

Gluing tiles to the ceiling isn’t an option

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
Or just leave it as is if the (I assume wood) looks OK. That's what we did years ago in our kinda-finished basement, similar to the pics you posted. The bright wood matches the other bright non-painted wood used down there (non-finished CDX plywood on the walls (tough for when the kids were younger and having at it down there). The bar I built is bright wood, top finished with clear sealing material). Kids are grown and out, now it's cleaned up down there and looks good for our use - and to be sold in the not-too-distant future

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
Well, got a call that the Admiral bought paint over her lunch break. Guess that settles that LOL!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I sprayed the rafters in a house with white paint. in another house, I put up 1/4" 4x8 oak plywood with maple furring strips. to cover the mechanicals and used pan head screws every 16"

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
I spoke too soon. Paint she bought was for the cabinets lol. We did more looking last night, and most of what hangs below the joists is in what would become the laundry room. That changes our options a bit.