Finally Got Out on the Water!!

platinumedge

Petty Officer 3rd Class
First of all, many, many thanks to all of you that have assisted me over the years. Several of you implied that I must have been crazy to have purchased a 23-year old (at the time) I/O without having done my due diligence. And, in retrospect, I'd have to say you would be right in almost every other situation. Amazingly, with little cost (but lots of effort) I was able to get my 1994 Four Winns Sundowner 215 out on the water last weekend!! Yeah! Everything worked perfectly, including my wife helping me launch and trailer the boat. (Although she did let go of the bow line {but held the stern line) in order to take some pics and the boat drifted around. But that even turned out to be okay as it drifted to point the bow out to the water! Who would have known?)
I took her out past the "No Wake" signs under idle; this was on Pohick Bay, near the Potomac River. I then throttled her up to about 3,500 - she stepped up on plane very quickly and ran smoothly the whole time. That was enough for me!
I turned her around; headed back for the docks; and pulled her out.
At the time I had not hooked up the power steering, nor had I hooked into the fuel tank. It kind of caught me off-guard the first time I tried to turn, as it was very difficult. I thought something was wrong, but it just required a lot of effort. I ran fuel out of a 5-gallon "can" (plastic), since I haven't been able to remove the corroded anti-siphon valve on the top of the tank.
I have since gotten the power steering working. But I still can't get the anti-siphon valve off. My concern is that if I use too much power I will damage the fuel tank. Suggestions?

She's turned out to be a good investment, with everything mechanical and electrical working great, with the exception of the starter, which was under water for several years and completely rusted out. But, again, with the assistance of my peers here on iBoats, I was able to remove and replace the starter. After that, most everything went pretty good. I had to pull the engine to re-install a couple of blown freeze plugs. But there are no leaks (oil or water) from the engine block.
The only real problem I've ever had was when I pulled her out of my driveway for the first time, I forgot to raise the outdrive. :oops: I shaved a few millimeters off of the bottom of the outdrive, and have a permanent "line" across my driveway that will always remind me of that. Ha!

Again, much thanks to all of you who were so gracious (and candid) with your input over the years. I hope all of your boating experiences go as well as mine did.

Best Regards,

-- Jeff

platinumedge

Petty Officer 3rd Class
P.S. I did have the Coast Guard Reserve come out to inspect the ship a few weeks before putting her into the water. His input and comments were invaluable. And he passed my boat, affixing an approved "Vessel Safety Check" sticker!

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Glad you got it out on the water! For the anti siphon keep spraying it with Kroil, Freeze Off or even the home grown mix of 50% Auto Trans fluid and 50% Acetone. It may take considerable time to work. Time & Patience

platinumedge

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Where can I find anti-siphon valves? Mine has corroded severly. It appears to be a 3/8's inch thread into the tank. It is aluminum, but I've seen posts from Lou where he suggests replacing with brass. Any input is appreciated.

Thank you, gentlemen (and women)!

alldodge

Staff member
Search "marine anti siphon valve" and they will show up

Aluminum is normal on a aluminum tank so no dissimilar metal. Using Brass with aluminum can induce corrosion

platinumedge

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Aluminum is normal on a aluminum tank so no dissimilar metal. Using Brass with aluminum can induce corrosion

Thanks. This tank is non-metallic; some sort of plastic compound, I believe.