FINALLY BOUGHT ONE TODAY...BUT need some help on a boat cover.

scott&kellie

Seaman Apprentice
Well I've been lurking these halls for some time now readying everything i could find, asking questions etc, so I finally found and bought today

2005 Crest 22" fish model with a 90 HP Johnson (saltwater edition)(not sure if all Johnson motors are saltwater ready or not) and a brand new 92011) Yacht Club trailer

Test drove it today and it was cold and cold and windy on the water but it was a blast. after looking at all the photos and asking the owner questions I drove almost 3 hours to view it. after all said and done the only three things wrong with the boat was (2 minor) the live well pump was shot (new at wally world $30), on the left bow the cup/rod holder the corner of vinyl was ripped off no big deal I can either re-wrap the it or put some marine glue on it so it doesn't rip more. the biggest thing was there was not boat cover . so with that said I'm looking for a new crest boat cover, or can someone recommend a after market cover. Not really sure on the exact model of the boat the title states, 22TAPE I cant find that any where on crest web site. Now i just need it to warm up so i can take her out.

Thanks everyone for all the help and advice on here it's great.

Scott:D:D:D:D

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
Re: FINALLY BOUGHT ONE TODAY...BUT need some help on a boat cover.

i had a custom one made for around 1200

lncoop

Vice Admiral

i had a custom one made for around 1200

I'd go this route if you can swing it. I know it's a lot, but it will last ten years minimum (closer to twenty if you take care of it) and will be exponentially easier to put on and take off than a hundred dollar semi-custom type cover (which will need to be replaced every couple of years; do the math;)). That's important, because if you're like me you'll be fastidious about putting the cover on at first, but if it's a major PITA you'll find it harder and harder to force yourself to do it. Shop around for prices if you decide on a custom one. You might do a little better than $1200. Congrats on officially joining the family. Pics ASAP please.:cool:

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

yea , a lot of the price depends on where you are at. Here thier 2 shops that will make you one so your sort of stuck.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Congrats on the new boat, Crest makes a really nice boat so you should be happy and a 22 with the 90 should work out really nice.

Contact a Crest dealer and they should be able to set you up with a factory cover, the factory makes boats for the dealer who sells them to you, most factories don't or won't sell directly to the public, if they did they would be taking money from thier dealers and that doesn't make for a happy dealer network.

One warning though and it really isn't a big deal, it will come without snaps, you will have to install them yourself or have the dealer do it, the snaps are installed by hand and are a bit different on all the boats so you will get a blank cover and you just get it on the boat and install the snaps, the dealer you cantact should be able to varify that and tell you what you need .

crb478

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'd go this route if you can swing it. I know it's a lot, but it will last ten years minimum (closer to twenty if you take care of it) and will be exponentially easier to put on and take off than a hundred dollar semi-custom type cover (which will need to be replaced every couple of years; do the math;)). That's important, because if you're like me you'll be fastidious about putting the cover on at first, but if it's a major PITA you'll find it harder and harder to force yourself to do it. Shop around for prices if you decide on a custom one. You might do a little better than $1200. Congrats on officially joining the family. Pics ASAP please.:cool:

+1 on ^

I love my custom cover and it sheds water better than most factory covers I have seen. Mine came in at around 800.00 also, and is a 2 piece cover with a zipper in the middle at the side doors which makes it easier for me to install.

scott&kellie

Seaman Apprentice

crb478 if you dont mind where did you order your custom cover from? thanks

scott

crb478

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It was made by a local canvass shop and I had it done in the off season so I got a little bit better deal. He came out measured the boat cut the cloth, came back out and fitted it loosley marking there the seams and tucks needed to be and then came out a third time and put the snaps on the cover and boat. If I would have had a trailer it would have been 100.00 cheaper.

Jeep Man

Commander

Congrats on the new boat S&K. You should contact the closest Crest dealer. They can probably order a factory cover for you. I have a factory cover from the dealer and it was made by Dowco Marine, although the boat is a Suntracker. I believe they manufacture for a number of brands. They are online. You can contact the closest dealer to you. Mine listed about $800

The Rooster

Ensign

Congratulations Scott. Can't wait to see pics !!

a1nowell

Chief Petty Officer

Welcome to the world of tooning Scott. It's just like going out in your living room! Now for a cover. Try this company out of Ohio. I called them in February 2 years ago and the made me 2, 8'x10' Sumbrella biminies with frames for less than $600.00. Look them up, they say they have every toon patern.

www.northstarproductsinc.com