Finally A new Law I Agree with!

revertmastec

Petty Officer 1st Class
You have to Love Virginia<br /><br /><br />§ 18.2-387.1. Indecent display of underwear<br /><br /><br />Fashion trends come and go, but Pete Reeves of Roanoke insists, "Baggy pants are here to stay." Given the way Reeves and his friends wear their trousers - loose and low - it is unlikely he means stay at the waist. <br /><br />Under a bill that passed the Virginia House of Delegates on Tuesday, Reeves may want to reconsider that trend in favor of pants with a snugger fit. <br /><br />Dubbed the "Droopy Drawers" bill, the proposed law - which passed the House on a 60-34 vote - would fine anyone who "intentionally wears and displays his below-waist undergarments" in public. People who wear baggy pants and low-rise jeans, both popular styles with teenagers, would be the bill's likely targets. <br /><br />Del. Algie Howell, D-Norfolk, the bill's sponsor, has said the legislation comes in response to constituents who find exposed underwear offensive. But valleywide, Virginians gave annoyed, and often apprehensive, responses to the legislation Wednesday. <br /><br />At Rave, a clothing store at Valley View Mall in Roanoke that sells primarily to young women, the possible restriction riled employees. <br /><br />"Why's it anybody's business how you wear your pants as long as it's not indecent exposure?" said employee RaeLea Wimmer. Her co-worker, Andrea Cuzmar, wondered about the bill's specifics. "If I'm walking and happen to have a thong string hanging out, I could get the fine?" Cuzmar asked. <br /><br />Walking home from William Fleming High School, sophomore Anthony Rich sensed a cultural bias. "To us, sagging is the same as how you wear your pants," he said. <br /><br />Sgt. Craig Harris of the Vinton Police Department felt hesitant about citing "Droopy Drawers" violations. "What officer wants to be the first one to bring that to court anyway?" said Harris, who suggested schools could dole out penalties more effectively. "Do we have anything else we can spend our time looking at?" <br /><br />Running just under 50 words, the bill has concerned some over potential ambiguities in its interpretation. <br /><br />Samuel Wilson of Roanoke called it "another reason to cause trouble." Though most young men sag their pants, Wilson said, enforcement could be unevenly applied. <br /><br />Others doubted it would be applied at all. "I don't believe that that bill is going to advance very far simply because it's going to be relatively unenforceable," said Roanoke Commonwealth's Attorney Don Caldwell. "So I think it is highly improbable that that bill becomes law during the course of this General Assembly." <br /><br />Similarly, Kent Willis, executive <br />director of the American Civil Liberties Union of Virginia, thought the bill crossed constitutional boundaries. "If this is a trend, then legislators will have to pass numerous bills every year to keep up with the latest fashions that they find offensive," Willis said. <br /><br />Kelvin Coffey, fashion editor for XXL, a New York-based urban lifestyle magazine, said legislation would have little effect on style choices. "You're just representing where you're from." <br /><br />And as for the ladies' low-slung jeans, Coffey said, "I think that's a sexy look, I'm not going to lie. I can't see a guy arguing with that even if he's in the state government." <br /><br />Though Howell, who has received attention from news sources around the world this week, could not be reached for comment, the bill found some local support, even in unlikely places. <br /><br />"There's a place to be provocative and a place to be adult, civil," said Randi Chernitzer of Norfolk, whose 19-year-old son wears his pants on the low side but always with a belt. "We're not fuddy-duddies," said Chernitzer, who was dining with a friend at Valley View Mall. "But we're not to the place where we think this is fashionable." <br /><br />While the bill specifically cites intentional displays of underwear, some think that exceptions should be made for inadvertent displays. <br /><br />But not James Franklin, a plumber with Rooter Out Sewer & Drain Service in Roanoke, who said lots of kids wear pants low, but neither he nor his co-workers do. <br /><br />"I think they should go and pass it," Franklin said. <br /><br />HOUSE BILL NO. 1981<br /><br /><br />AMENDMENT IN THE NATURE OF A SUBSTITUTE<br /><br /><br />(Proposed by the House Committee for Courts of Justice<br /><br /><br />on February 4, 2005)<br /><br /><br />(Patron Prior to Substitute--Delegate Howell, A.T.)<br /><br /><br />A BILL to amend the Code of Virginia by adding a section numbered 18.2-387.1, relating to indecent display of below-waist undergarments. <br /><br /><br />Be it enacted by the General Assembly of Virginia:<br /><br /><br />1. That the Code of Virginia is amended by adding a section numbered 18.2-387.1 as follows:<br /><br /><br />§ 18.2-387.1. Indecent display of underwear.<br /><br /><br />Any person who, while in a public place, intentionally wears and displays his below-waist undergarments, intended to cover a person's intimate parts, in a lewd or indecent manner, shall be subject to a civil penalty of no more than $50. "Intimate parts" has the same meaning as in § 18.2-67.10.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Finally A new Law I Agree with!

Seems to me that every plumber in Virginia is going to be a lawbreaker in performance of his profession, dontcha think??? Better not bend over for any reason or fear a fine. That quarter you see on the sidewalk could end-up costing you a fifty. Lunacy!

Homerr

Commander

With all the stupid laws they've done lately, is about time they get one right.<br /><br />I hope our state adopts this one. <br /><br />Does it cover plumbers-crack? :confused: :eek: <br /><br /><br />H.

gaugeguy

Captain

I would be some kind of pissed if an officer gave a ticket to my kid because he has "droopy drawers". I'm not into that look (thankfully either are my boys), but I do think passing a law about it is over the edge.

revertmastec

Petty Officer 1st Class

I disagree GG. Take a trip to Any local mall and you see more underware walking around than you see for sale in the stores. All I can say it is about time!

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

and people are OK with the gov't passing laws<br />about how u can or can't dress?<br />ever heard of freedom and liberty for all?<br /><br />the continuing errosion of personal freedom is<br />gaining momentum and we r losing it on a daily<br />basis in this country, and people just sit around<br />with their heads in the sand...<br /><br />WAKE UP AND SMELL THE MANURE PEOPLE!!!!<br /><br />give me liberty or give me death!

gaugeguy

Captain

I know revert, I've seen it. And I think they are freaks for dressing like that. I just think it is not the government's place to tell people they can or cannot dress in a certain way. Other things out there that should be addressed. I'd rather see some kid with his boxers showing than a 300 pound guy in a speedo bathing suit (and you see that stuff up here :eek: )

revertmastec

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry GG next time I will put a robe on. :) <br /><br />There for a second I thought I looked good in a speedo!! :D

tylerin

Commander

Can they ban Leisure suits? I don't like those either ;)

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

man, we sound like a bunch of old farts here!<br />try to remember when u were young and the grief<br />we took from the old farts back then... long hair,<br />minnie skirts, tight jeans and of course no bra's.<br />and how about the music? rock n roll record<br />burning parties etc.

gaugeguy

Captain

And guys wearing spandex, I don't want to see their package. That offends me ;)

tylerin

Commander

I'm with you MY <br />Gauge...stop it I haven't had breakfast yet ;)

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I hope you guys are joking. This is the stupidest law ever.<br /><br />I guess we will have to ban all bikini swimsuits, cause that looks a lot like underwear.<br /><br />If someone wants to look a fool, this is America, let em do it.<br /><br />I always want to tell them, "pull up your drawers!!!"<br /><br />Ken

gspig

Chief Petty Officer

While they are at it: No spandex or knit pants for anyone over 200 lbs. No tube tops for women with beer guts. No writing on butts of shorts, jogging pants, or pants. If your stomach covers the waist band of your pants, your shirt must cover it.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Just what the heck does "in a lewd and indecent manner" mean.<br /><br />It has forever been a goal of adolescents to shock the old folks with their displays of defiance to the old folks customs, music, styles, etc.<br /><br />We did it, you did it, now our children and grandchildren are doing it.<br /><br />I remember attempts to ban long hair on boys, mini skirts, braless "lewd and indecent manner", and other teen fads.<br /><br />This law is stupid and unenforcable.<br /><br />Back to my Heinie and cold pizza. :D

Tinkerer

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I think it's a very good law.<br /><br />Saggy undies are a fashion crime.<br /><br />As the law deals only with exposed undies, Viriginians can still enjoy the delights of people who don't expose their undies or, better still, don't wear any. Like this:<br /><br />YIKES! :eek: (mod4)

johnson-liner

Petty Officer 1st Class

I hate suits....and a lot of people (not all)that I call "suits" that wear them. Actually, let me change that....I AM OFFENDED BY SUITS. There, now that I've worded that correctly, can we pass a law now? :rolleyes: <br /><br />I'm going to head down to VA now and see if I can get a ticket for wearing my boxers on the outside of my jeans. (i'll keep the jeans where they should be, but I'll make the boxers on the outside ride really low!) :D