Final eyeball check today, been an interesting road...

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Well after a total of 5 months of eye examines, two cataract surgeries, I had my final eye examination today and I have to say, it makes me feel great and a bit younger again.

When I started this journey, I basically could not see with my glasses that I was wearing, seems I had developed cataracts very quickly.

Going back through my files the Doctor told me today, that when we started this process, I was basically legally blind!

First cataract surgery in April, the 3rd to be exact and second on April 16th, one day after the first surgery, I was still recovering, but he said I was already back to close to 20/20 in the left eye(something I have never in my life had!)

After the second surgery was 20/20 in the left, 20/40 in the right, okay, still might need to wear glasses..

Today after a month of healing, doing all the damn drops and all the other stuff, my vision was tested at better than 20/20 right around 20/15 the Doctor said, and other than readers for book reading, I will able to virtually do everything without wearing glasses for the rest of my life.

So again as I have said, if you are having vision problems or things look cloudy or you have star bursts around light at night, get it checked out, my cataracts progressed quickly, I noticed a change last August and now I have something I have never ever had in my life...

I can see clearly now, enjoy shooting my guns again, with both open sights and scopes, see great at night with no distortion at all.

So, get them checked out, and get them done if needed, it will literally open your eyes to the world again! You will be amazed at what you are missing.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
That's really great news. However with your new found vision come responsibility as well. Now it is too easy to simply forget about such things and do things that you really need safety glass to be doing. So do take caution when doing anything that could possible compromise your eyes in an instant. People that used to wear glasses are all to forgetful about such things not thinking their eyes are now fixed and they need safety protections. Just a heads up!

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
That's really great news. However with your new found vision come responsibility as well. Now it is too easy to simply forget about such things and do things that you really need safety glass to be doing. So do take caution when doing anything that could possible compromise your eyes in an instant. People that used to wear glasses are all to forgetful about such things not thinking their eyes are now fixed and they need safety protections. Just a heads up!

I now have about a half dozen sets of safety glasses around here and they are on my face when I go outside and when I enter the shop. After everything I have been through the last few years, my eyesight is a gift that I don't wish to give up, Glasses are cheap, eyes are very expensive, so I am putting them on at the drop of a hat these days..

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
The interesting road is the one you can see now. :smile:

My surgeon told me I was legally blind too and stay off the road.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
That’s great news MTb ! My mother had the same surgery several years back and she said it was like someone had just turned on a light switch !

gm280

Supreme Mariner
The interesting road is the one you can see now. :smile:

My surgeon told me I was legally blind too and stay off the road.

So is it safe to walk on the sidewalks around you now? lol

ezbtr

Commander
Awesome!!! I never regretted having my right done at 49 (cataract, waterfront)

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Aren't sidewalks are alternate passing zones.

Of course they are. And you meet the nicest people on the sidewalk. I mean they look at you with such wide eyed expressions every time. And they love to point out that you are number one with their finger as well!