Filling fiberglass holes

chrisvr6

Seaman Apprentice
Well i replaced my windshield but there are a million holes in the boat from previous attempts i guess. How do i fill,smooth and touch up gelcoat? Thanks.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Filling fiberglass holes

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Where are all of these "Million Holes"

rickryder

Commander

Pictures of the holes and their location would be very helpful so we can see what you see.....then we can offer a recommended repair ;)

chrisvr6

Seaman Apprentice

Along the top where the wrap around windshield mounts there are 3-4 holes every 6".

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Like RR says, pics will help us to help you.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

If you can get behind it ....... you and going to need to re-fiberglass and apply the gel coat from the outside.

Are you intending to delete the windshield or re-mount it? If you are going to remount it.....then you can fill the holes and possibly get a touch wider gasket to cover it.

chrisvr6

Seaman Apprentice

I'm remounting. What do i use to fill holes?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

If the holes are going to be covered and there is no need to re- gel coat them since it is not seen........ the easiest way is to use a marine stick epoxy. The stuff you can cut and knead in your hand. That is a reliable way to fill the holes.

chrisvr6

Seaman Apprentice

Some are still visible which is why I'm asking what I can fill and touch up the holes with.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Use a dremmel, bowl em out a bit. Use thickened polyester resin. Fill em just shy of level, mix some gelcoat paste to match the color. Fill a bit high. Sand and buff to level. Done. Or, if you want to paint, do what Bob VT says and then paint. Can't use epoxy if you want to use gelcoat