Filleting a Baitwell

stauter99

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am building a 3'X 5' Wooden Baitwell to sit on my dock to keep Bait in. It is 3' Tall. I am in the process of finishing it an I am about to start filleting so I can fiberglass the corners. How big should the fillets be? Can i use a mixing stick to make them? That is what i would prefer beacuse I only have two things of Filleting Blend(8oz.) and I am running low on funds. Thanks!<br /><br />Sonny

CCrew

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Filleting a Baitwell

I used a tongue depressor stick to do mine, and it works well. You're just trying to make it not a sharp corner... anything around 1/2" radius works <br /><br />-Roger

jmtackleguy

Cadet

Whenever I fillet, I usually use the mixing sticks an it works great.

LubeDude

Admiral

Ya, sure, I know what "filleting" is what do you think, Im no dummy! UM HMM Ya Fillet, ya sure! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

JoeW

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I'm not ashamed to say I have no idea what "filleting" is. :confused: <br /><br />What is it?

RainMan302v8

Cadet

I would take some microballoons and resin to fill in the cracks, (mix to a toothpaste consistency) for a well constructed fish box I Would think think that would suffice, but a strip of roving to lock it together would work<br /><br />(fillet is a corner in fiberglass, like the inside of a fish box)

D

DJ

I use a knife to filet fish, I think a chain saw would suffice for a fish box. :eek: :D <br /><br />Kidding aside, the microballoons sound like a good idea. Making a radious using mat or cloth and resin is tricky. It's difficult, at best, to keep the air bubbles out and keep it from sliding around. <br /><br />It's best to try to fill the fillet first with something else.