File transfer Options

dolluper

Captain
In a bit of a pickle,I want to transfer some files off an old computer to my laptop and the old putter doesn't have a usb port.Right now I'm debating weather to install a cd burner to copy the files,or to run a null modem cable between the two for a direct connection,,,,what to do ???? This is off site so no router available for an easy cross over connect Any other options or opinions would be appreciated

tommays

Admiral
Re: File transfer Options

What about a X patch cable ? it should work without a router between 2 computers

Tommays

dolluper

Captain

Humm an x patch what's that ,how does it work? I know the settings for the direct connect are they similar

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You can buy an adapter that plugs directly into the hard drive that turns it into an external USB drive that you can plug into your laptop. You will just have to open the computer case to access the drive but leave the drive in the old computer.

This will be way faster than the parallel port.

Xcusme

Commander

In a bit of a pickle,I want to transfer some files off an old computer to my laptop and the old putter doesn't have a usb port.Right now I'm debating weather to install a cd burner to copy the files,or to run a null modem cable between the two for a direct connection,,,,what to do ???? This is off site so no router available for an easy cross over connect Any other options or opinions would be appreciated

You have a number of options depending on the hardware of the old computer.

If the old computer has a:

NIC.............use a cross over cable directly to the new computer
Serial Port....use a Laplink cable and software to do the transfer
PCI slot........add a NIC or USB port card

I'd probably opt for the add-on NIC to the old computer and grab your nearest x-over Cat5 cable and get on with the transfer.....
Depending of the old computers card slots, use PCI or ISA NIC card...

i386

Captain

I use one of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822999161

I'm using one right this minute actually. It's a life saver. Now that SATA drives are becoming the norm on new systems I'll be getting one that does IDE and SATA.

x-over cable will do too though. The catch with that is you'll need to configure tcp/ip manually on both machines as there will be no dhcp server available to give them ip addresses.

dolluper

Captain

Hi X the nic way with a cross-over cable, a Pc 10/100m card in the lap to connect the crossover would work yea/naaa?
Yes i386 I know ididid need one ,holding off why, same trouble just to repin,this laptop is the problem two boxes easy work

Xcusme

Commander

Hi X the nic way with a cross-over cable, a Pc 10/100m card in the lap to connect the crossover would work yea/naaa?
Yes i386 I know ididid need one ,holding off why, same trouble just to repin,this laptop is the problem two boxes easy work

Yup, simple x-over cable is what you'd use.

If the laptop does not have an RJ45 (8 pin connector) network adaptor, you can slide in a pcmcia version 10/100 network adaptor too. Like this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16839158003
Or you could use a USB to Ethernet adaptor (if your laptop has a USB port). Like this one
http://shop3.outpost.com/product/4415686?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

On the desktop machine, a simple 10/100 NIC card, either PCI or ISA will work.

As i386 mentioned, you will have to manually configure your network adaptors (pretty simple really)...as outlined here
http://www.razertech.com/edge/hardware/crossover/crossover.htm

There a tons of websites that can walk you thru the simple network settings...

dolluper

Captain

Thanks Guy's
Got everything except the crossover cable,I was stuck back in the laplink age,looks easier now>great to be finally catching up or almost I should say

tomatolord

Chief Petty Officer

or install firefox add www.allpeers.com and you are ready to go!

It is a peer to peer filesharing system over the internet.

you would just connect your two computers and move the files.

or www.xdrive.com gives you 5 gig free to use.

tomatolord