Fibre repair Help?

walrusb

Recruit
I was wondering what will work to fix a small crush mark from a trailer with a missplaced roller. The boat is a 26ft 1977 Rienell cruiser.<br />The mark is on the keel up by the bow. Can I just fill the divot with Bondo Glazing and spot putty and antifoul paint over it? Should I push a little resin into it and then putty?<br /><br />Any one have any advice on a quick fix for cracks from railings on the top side. They are starting to leak.<br /><br />thanks ,<br />Walt

crab bait

Captain
Re: Fibre repair Help?

only one way i'd fix that..<br /><br />go to your marine center an get a small ammount of epoxy an milled fiberglass powder.. <br /><br />mix small batch thoughly,, then add in the fiber powder until thick as peanut butter..<br /><br />apply ,cure ,sand, paint..<br /><br />maybe apply a couple layers of 7.5 oz cloth before paint.. maybe not..

ThomWV

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Fibre repair Help?

I'd approach it much the same way, but I'd just use West System's #404 High Density Filler. You can buy a can of the stuff at any West Marine or Boat US, along with a quart of their resin (epoxy) and hardner and a pair of mixing pumps. The stuff keeps indefinitly and it is simply great to have around for repairs, gluing, and all manner of other uses. I'd recommend that you clean out the crushed area real well (about 3 seconds with the grinder) to get to good sound glass. I might use some cloth, might not, depends on how deep I went with the grinder or how wide the hole was. This is a pretty straight forward repair, almost identical to the sort of crunches you get right on the nose at the keel lines from oozing just a little to far forward at the ramp. They happen all the time, no sweat to fix them.<br /><br />Thom