Fiberglassing Splashwell

revjim

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Have a 370v ranger and I am going to fiberglass all inside the splashwell...do I just sand her with course grit paper, lay the matte, apply resin and let it sit? Also, this resin I can get at Lowes etc...right? Just your typical resin...thanks guys..

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Fiberglassing Splashwell

scuff the area.....clean with aceitone.......cut the glass......wet out the area first (with resin).....then work the chopped strand mat in.......no air......not too much resin........and unless you are going to add a layer later.....the waxed stuff you get at the department store is fine......

but why would you wanna do that .....is it cracked?......if it is.....there might be really serious transom issues that a fiberglass patch wont help

fdmsiv

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree with oops, no need to glass the splashwell.

jonesg

Admiral

from recent experience, I had a 2 inch crack in the splashwell and had to replace the transom and stringers.
If I were to be glassing the splashwell I would rather do the underside and not have to refinish the surface.

I knew what was going on with my transom and was being very cautious (slow) on the water, ok...no problems,

....except the drive to and from with the trailer was cracking the splashwell open.

I suspect you'll be joining the club.!