fiberglass swim platform repair

teamchappy

Recruit
this is my first post so im not actually sure where to put it. i am about to repair a swim patform that was damaged late last year. it is plywood that is sandwiched between fiberglass and the gelcoated. i have a few questions, any input would be greatly appreciated.

1. how do i make sure the plywood patch with be as structuarly sound as the original whole plywood?
2. do i just goop in resin when i set plywood, then cover with layers of glass?
3. how do i finish final coats? just with resin and sanding? then paint or gelcoat entire swim platform?
thanks!!!

Attachments

• IMG00171-20100319-1503.jpg
    IMG00171-20100319-1503.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 0

jonesg

Admiral
Re: fiberglass swim platform repair

this is my first post so im not actually sure where to put it. i am about to repair a swim patform that was damaged late last year. it is plywood that is sandwiched between fiberglass and the gelcoated. i have a few questions, any input would be greatly appreciated.

1. how do i make sure the plywood patch with be as structuarly sound as the original whole plywood?
2. do i just goop in resin when i set plywood, then cover with layers of glass?
3. how do i finish final coats? just with resin and sanding? then paint or gelcoat entire swim platform?
thanks!!!

Make absolutely sure the wood is dry or fuhgetaboutit.
Then I would slop resin in there with a big brush and clamp it to set.
The rest is just applying resin and glass then sanding to shape and cosmetic finishing. Might be easier if you could remove it first, I would gelcoat the whole thing for finsihing.