fiberglass resin removal

dude33333

Seaman Apprentice
hi all,<br />i recently needed to do i little patchwork on my boat, i mixed up the resin and hardner but for whatever reason it never cured so i have a bunch of sticky resin all over my boat that i want to get off. ive tried "mean green", "goo gone", gasoline, rubbing alcohol anyone have suggestions? thanz<br />~erk

dude33333

Seaman Apprentice
Re: fiberglass resin removal

ah huh! good one, ill havta try that<br />thanx!

ThomWV

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Yep, acetone. Tell us, why didn't it set up? Was it epoxy and you got a bad batch or didn't measure the ration of resin to hardner properly? Maybe polyester that didn't get enough hardner or was a large area and you didn't spray it with something to block oxygen, like mold release. Also, sometimes you get polyester resin that doesn't have wax in it and that stuff simply will not set up a skin in the presense of oxygen. As I understand it the way its supposed to work is the heat of the chemical reaction when the resin begins to set melts the wax which floats to the top forming a barrier to oxygen. So the wax allows a full set but it also requires that you sand between coats if you are building something up while using it.<br /><br />Thom

dude33333

Seaman Apprentice

im not sure, i used the right proportions. but i used an old container that had been sitting around for a while and prolly had stuff in it. it also rained right after (im pretty sure it cures with rain though..)

quantumleap

Master Chief Petty Officer

If the weather was cool and wet it might take a day or too to fully set-up. How long did you give it?

bryanredfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Try plain ol' White Vinegar. It cuts right through uncured epoxy.