fiberglass repair

donnieboy

Cadet
I just bought a fiberglass repair kit and I'm curious on how to actually put it on. Wat I mean by that is do I sand off paint on boat. Apply repair let dry then repaint? If so wat kind of sand paper? How much fiberglass repair do i put on the crack?

rickryder

Commander
Re: fiberglass repair

Without seeing pictures of the damage it's hard to tell you how to repair it ;)

Welcome to iboats and The Dry Dock Donnie

donnieboy

Cadet

its just a small crack maybe the size of a quarter. it looks like its from beaching it a lot. and thank you im a first time boat owner and dont know much about boats nor do i no someone that does

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Without seeing pictures of the damage it's hard to tell you how to repair it ;)

Welcome to iboats and The Dry Dock Donnie

Yea..and is it above or below the waterline..

Need Input..more Input..

Throw us a bone here DB .. No pics..no info.. = no outcome..

YD.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

donnie....we can walk you right thru this.....no worries.

because you bought a "fit" this will mean waxed resin.....you will need to do some more sanding....but no worries.

boats dont have paint....they have gellcoat...it is a different animal all togeather.

to repair the crack....all of the gellcoat must be sanded off till you get to the glass.
then the glass is re fiberglassed using the mat lookin stuff not the cloth stuff.
(the repair might require the use of thickened resin as well, but lets see the pics first).

after the glass is repaired.....the area is re gellcoated...sanded, faired and polished.

donnieboy

Cadet

sorry guys. had things come up and no time for boat. wen i get off work this morning i will go home and take a pic and post it. have another question tho. has anyone had or heard anything about a keelshield for the hull. a friend of mine said he seen one the other day and i was wondering if it would be extra protection. i have to kids and ill probly be beaching quite a bit so they can swim and roam the beach.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Looks like a failed repair to me. Someone fixed it incorrectly and its poppin.

You just have to grind in to it a bit to see how bad the damage is.

You also might do some searching here in the forum to get a heads up on removing the boat from the trailer. You MIGHT be able to shift the boat without removing it..

YD.

donnieboy

Cadet

yea i seen who i got it off of tried to fix it. i was told by a mechanic to use to jacks wit 2x4s or 4x4s and jack the boat up and just slide the trailer out far enough to get to it. i have the fiber glass repair kit just never used one before. if i put keelshield on it should i even bother painting on it? should i just repair it let it dry and put the keelshield over it?

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

For some reason I dont think a FG kit is gonna cut it.

Your probably going to have to buy some resin,mat and Glass.

Grind into it and we will go from there.

YD.

donnieboy

Cadet

wanted to inform everybody that i got it fixed! i got some fiberglass filler and hardner. had it out this weekend worked like a charm thanks everybody

oops!

Supreme Mariner

dont forget to re gellcoat that puppy bud....

i thought i replied to this after the pics????????????

musta been during a nightly server maintenance