Fiberglass repair - all those products yet?

sincraft

Seaman
I'm LOST. I've posted a few times on here and had some nice people respond, however the answers seem to be rather vague. There are a myriad of products out there and I need to know what to buy...PLEASE.<br /><br />I have a transom with gelcoat cracks that I removed in area's (say 3" x 3") to inspect underneath.<br /><br />I also have a rotted area near the drain tube, that I remove about 12" around and SLIGHTLY underneath the boat where the glass was thicker (and at the corners). I HAVE HOLLOWED THIS OUT completely of its wood and need to put another piece of wood in there where it was rotted. <br /><br />-MY QUESTIONS:<br />-Should I spread some resin on the other side, then place the wood, then resin, mat, resin resin, mat, filler ...sand and paint?<br />IF SO - there are SO many products out there. I shop at boatersworld for my chemicals..suggestions? I see slow cure, hard cure, long cure, multi cure - super cure...resin mix, etc etc eeeeeeeeeeeeeeetc. <br /><br />-What thickness glass should I be using and should I only be using mat or should I be using a fabric for the edges and udnerneath?<br /><br />The draintube was damaged by the previous owner, and hap-hazzardly sealed. The water got in, cracked when frozen, and left un-touched for years. That piece of the transom was rotted completel and I removed it and the damaged fiberglass under the boat (lipping under about 1")<br /><br />Also - when this is all finished Iw ould like to paint after sanding. I need something that will adhere to whatever chemicals I will be using. Also am I correct that you use a filler during the last phase so it can be sanded nicely and paintable?<br /><br />THANK YOU!<br /><br />S

tengals123

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Fiberglass repair - all those products yet?

yes you do use filler to fair the surface. What type of paint will you be using? To be honest, alot of it is personal choice and budget. I believe that a good epoxy resin with woven matt is the strongest fix going around. Pull me up if im wrong, but i believe the curing times are different for the reason of being able to work with products before they 'go off' for different times. So grind it all out, creating a good bite surface, clean it up and glass it all in. If it is a small repair in a non stress area, do the same in prepping, but a good, strong epoxy filler like 'epifil' will be perfect for the job. Just be careful not to over fill the repair to much as it is quite hard to sand. As far as where to buy and what to buy it's hard for me to tell coz im in another country. But, as stated alot of it is personal choice and budget. Also do a serch on 'cat hair' it's strong and popular.<br />Example ; to me polyester resin is polyester resin, so i purchased a mid range brand that ended up being fantastic to work with and tough as nails.<br />Hope this helps a little.<br /><br />cheers

sincraft

Seaman

Yes, I was hearing alot about the use of Cat Hair. But I'm going to ensure strength and use a layering system. Not sure about the bottom of the boat though but will probably use roven then mat there. :) <br />Thanks for the tip about not leaving too much up as it would be hard to sand, I never thought of that!!! Good thing I read that or I would have said, eh ...I'll just sand it off eheh.<br />I have to epoxy coat many parts that get gas/oil saturated all the time with RC airplanes, and NEVER have had a problem so far and just used simple two part epoxy (30 minute) <br /><br />Anyone care to agree or disagree on this layup? <br />I current have.<br />Glass layers, No wood, wide open earth (from front to back of the transom) In a 12" area.<br />I am thinking...<br />Glass layers, a layer of epoxy to hold this and seal this new wood, other side of wood, epoxy/poly, then roven, then epoxy/poly, then mat, then more epoxy, then filler, then paint?<br /><br />Is this correct?<br /><br />S

tengals123

I just finished a 1/4 scale piper cub in blue with white sunburst. Flew it 2 weeks ago and radio went haywire mid flight. The plane flew out of sight into bushland, nothing i could have done. After 10hours of searching, still couldnt find it. Not only did I lose 200 hours of build time + the price of the plane + 5 servo's, but also my 7 channel reciever.<br />Now that's stiff.<br /><br />cheers

sincraft

Seaman

Not to continue an off topic issue or anything hehe but OMG man, I feel for you :( That was probably a nice size plane. You didn't mention the loss of the engine!<br />I'm working on a .90 sized bipe from a VINTAGE kit from Walt Mocha (1960's ish I believe) - the wood was in outstanding condition, but the work was hilarious as NOTHING is shaped for you already. And it's die crushed, poorly. Which means I had to cut everything out and of course sand to one uniform size. LOTS of little sticks building up this plane also. <br />The fuse was VERY hard to get but looks good. Let me know Ill post some pics for you somewhere :) I havent finished as this is my latest project. Once I get her up and running, I plane on getting my plane with floats on it and running it on the lake with my boat. :D <br />THAT's pretty much why I am doing all of this lol!<br /><br />S

Ralph 123

Captain

I'd recommend a few video tapes so you can watch a pro do the job right, see the materials, tools and techniques and tricks. For about $30 on two tapes you'll get pro results. It is money well spent. <br /><br />Given your description of work needed I recommend these two tapes (you can find them on eBay for about $15 per tape)<br /><br />1) Fiberglass repair made easy Vol 1 - Bennett catalog # H617 - this covers repair of larger areas requiring layup, etc<br /><br />2) Cosmetic Gelcoat & Fiberglass Repair Vol 2 - this covers stress crack repair, voids, etc. and has some excellent techniques that carry over to all kinds of fiberglass repair. One of the best instructional videos on the market IMHO.

tengals123

off the topic again, sorry.<br />yeah, i forgot to mention the saito 150, gold rockerheaded 4 stroke. limited edition.<br />all in all 3000 bucks work of plane and gear.<br /><br />cheers