Fiberglass Q's

998cc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
All. I am getting ready to order materials to insert a new stringer in my 1972 Gulfstream 18' runabout. This is necessary to fit a new (longer) gas tank. I have read Woodonglass's post on "Stringers Revised" and need clarifications:

1. What is PB?
2. Should I use both laminating and finishing resins, or can I use finishing resin with a wipedown of actetone between coats? Is using both that much of a better option than just using the finishing type?
3. The rear half of the plywood deck needs replacing. Does the"cap" of the boat have to come off to do this? The boat has ski/rope/oar storage spaces along the sides--gunwales?

Thanks in advance.

998cc

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Fiberglass Q's

PB is Thickened Resin used to bed the stringers in and many other uses. There's a link in my link that tells you how to make and use it. Here it is again PB compliments of one of our members FriscoJarrets.
Laminating resin is all you'll need. You can buy the wax additive for the final coat if you wish. Some do some don't. Using the Un-Waxed laminating will give you much better working times, making it easier to do your layups and in the long run much stronger laminations. IF, BIG IF, your transom is GOOD and you only need to do the stringers and deck then normally the cap can remain on the boat for all of the repairs. Posting some pics of your boat and what you are doing always helps us to help you better.

Last edited:

998cc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Fiberglass Q's

Thanks Woodonglass.

The PB and Friscojarretts' other videos were helpful and do answer a lot of questions. Your response regarding the use of laminating resin was very helpful. A few months back, I replaced the battery platform and glassed it using Home Depot resin. The working time was very short!

I think the transom is *OK* though it is not up to new standards, it is not rotted out.

Pictures will come once the deck is out.

Thank you again.

998cc

Last edited: