Fiberglass hull finishes

cbnoodles

Chief Petty Officer
Ok gang, stupid question time here. A few of you know I just got my first boat, a fiberglass center console made by Enterprise (out of business). My question is what do I need to do to polish or clean up the hull to a factory-like finish? The boat is in very good condition but the finish is 20 years old & has faded with a few scuff marks. I want to get her riding as smoothly on the water as possible (not to mention make her pretty again). Thanks in advance for suggestions and ideas.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Re: Fiberglass hull finishes

Best to get a circular polisher and start with some polishing compound and work your way to a cleaner wax and them a polish.Depending on how faded or chalky the finish is will determine how agressive of a compound to use.By the way Professor,how is Ginger and Maryanne???? Charlie

cbnoodles

Chief Petty Officer

Charlie,<br /><br />Thanks.<br /><br />They...er....I'm...uh...everything's fine.

bounder4465

Petty Officer 2nd Class

professor, if you can buff using a variable speed buffer (a limited use one sells at Harbor Freight Tools <$50) I will share a method used by the pros. All of the items are cost effective, can be purchased on the web, and easy to use. This involves no waxes ...just compound. Email me at bounder4465@yahoo.com I have replied to post in the past on this subject, check them for a link to some photos.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

bounder - Why keep your solution secret???

mattttt25

Commander

start by using a good boat soap, followed by wax.<br /><br />if that doesn't cut it, try compound, but be careful with the electric buffer, as geloat can be easily damaged. follow with a good wax.<br /><br />still not working, you can move to an orbital sander with very fine grit. last resort, and you again have to be very careful not to leave the sander in any one place for too long. follow with wax.<br /><br />all else fails, resort to painting the hull.<br /><br />good luck-

rnsi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Start with cleaning. Compound didn't work for me, my finish was too far gone. What worked for me was wet hand sanding very carefully with 600 grit, followed by 1500, followed by 2000. Then mild compound, then polishing compound. The wax. And wax. And wax some more.<br /><br />Well worth the effort.

rnsi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Bounder-<br /><br />How about sharing your method here?

cbnoodles

Chief Petty Officer

Apologies to Bounder but I wanted to bounce this around for further input. Here's what Bounder suggests:<br /><br />"Go to any fiberglass supply web site and you will find bars of compound for buffing gelcoat. The big secret is it is metal buffing compound. <br /> <br />Use the red compound first, and go back over it with ther white bar. It will look like it just came out of the mold. The bars are about $10 each, and you will use about 1/2 bar of each color on a 21' boat."<br /><br />Anybody else try this and with what results? Not trying to stir up controversy, I just want to do the right thing with my boat as it is a gift from my Dad.<br /><br />Thanks

umblecumbuz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Prof,<br /><br />WET HAND sanding works for me, just like rnsi says.<br /><br />I stress 'wet hand' for two reasons. First, you can so easily make a mistake with a power buffer - a moment too long and you've built yourself a load of problems. Two, when you get the hang of it, you can 'feel' the finish through a wet sanding paper. You can't do that with a power-buffer.<br /><br />Finer points:<br />In your water bucket, add a big squirt of wash-up liquid. Keep the gel surface very wet, and sponge off frequently. Keep several pieces of the same grade paper in the bucket so that they get saturated and soft, and alternate them often.<br /><br />Also - common sense, really - start in a place that won't show - say, just under the hull - to check results and get the hang of it. And, with respect to rnsi above, try something finer than 600 to start. The finer you start, the easier the finish.<br /><br />End result? Rocky muscles and gleaming boat!

bounder4465

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You asked why I dont post this method? Everytime I try to share this info, the wet sanders gang up, and blast me. I have buffed many, many boats using this method, and never sand gelcoat unless it is a fresh application. For someone to "buff through" gelcoat would take a lot of effort concentrated in a single spot. Gel coat is many times harder, and thicker than the best automotive paint. If you go to a fiberglass supply web site you will find the compound. I just wanted to share this info...it works great, and the gloss will amaze you.<br /><br /> http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/bound...done=http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos <br /><br />These two boats sat out uncovered for almost 10 years.

umblecumbuz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hey Bounder,<br /><br />Didn't want to stir up a controversy! Your photo's are impressive, and they prove that there is more than one way to achieve the desired result. I've never used your method, so can't say how easy or difficult it is for a first-timer. <br /><br />As you say, gelcoat is HARD, which is why I suggested starting with something finer than 600 grade paper (say, 1200 to begin) and USING A LUBRICANT IN THE WATER (washup liquid works fine).<br /><br />Dunno if you get Farecla products over there, but finishing with Farecla G10 before waxing works fine (Avoid dazzle damage - don your shades first!).<br /><br />You do my next boat and I'll do yours - then we'll compare results. Friends for life!<br /><br />Ciao

cbnoodles

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks to all for the ideas. No controversy from my point of view; this just shows there are any number of ways to obtain the desired result. I appreciate everybody's suggestions.<br /><br />BTW Bounder, your pics are beeyooteeful! I hope I can manage results nearly as impressive on my first try! I admit I haven't yet chosen a method but I'll post before & after pics to let you know how it comes out.

umblecumbuz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Do you REALLY look like that, Prof - or is it a retouched photo?<br /><br />Kinda brainy-lookin - but then it could be a wig!

bounder4465

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Good luck on your project Prof, and I hope you are pleased with the results of your labor which ever method you choose. In the final chapter that is all that really counts.