Fiberglass grinding wheel suggestions.

Silverbullet555

Chief Petty Officer
I need to do some minor fiberglass/gelcoat work. The first will be reshaping the edge of a swim platform. The curvey doesn't match the transom on our boat and before I isntall it I want to shape it better then reseal the edges with epoxy.

After that, I will be pulling the motor on our boat to do some gelcoat work and MAYBE some minor grinding.

Incidentally, I will be needing to also fill some spider cracks so I will be picking up a small tool.

But, what kind of disc would you recommend for cutting/shaping the platform. The glass is about 3/8 thick where it needs to be shaped and I will need to grind about 3/8-1/2" away to create the right shape.

I have an angle grinder and of course my trusty drill.

What would you recommend for discs or other tools.

Silverbullet555

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Fiberglass grinding wheel suggestions.

Nevermind. I hate it when I search, can't find something, post and then find the info.

I will pick up some flap discs today for my angle grinder. I am going that way because I want it to go slower since I don't have experience and don't want to screw something up. Would rather take it slow.

Also picking up a tyvek suit and goggles to keep the itchies down. A respirator is on the list to keep the lungs clean.

Bifflefan

Commander

I would use a sanding disc, instead of a grinding disc. They are alot more forgiving. There are a few different grits. Id get one of each grit and see which does best for what you need.

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It might be faster to draw it out and cut the platform with a jigsaw and then sand it to shape.

Flap discs are awsome for doing major grinding, biffiefan is correct, go with a sanding disc.

Silverbullet555

Chief Petty Officer

I got a couple flap discs and a couple sanding discs.

Heading out now to make a template so I can see what I really have and then make my final decision. My goal is to get shaped today and then coat ends with epoxy tonight. It will cure overnight and tomorrow we will fit it to the hull, drill all the holes and then coat those holes with epoxy.

Silverbullet555

Chief Petty Officer

I have a bit more to take off than I originally thought. So the question is, do I grind it off or cut it first then finish with grinding?

If cutting is the answer, I have a jig saw, but I really want to minimize damage. I also have a router and could make a jig to use the router. I'm trying to get the cleanest edge possible and I really don't want to wreck the gelcoat.