Fiberglass gass tank (replace?)

jpv

Seaman Apprentice
My 1985 Wellcraft 190 American has a fiberglass gass tank. Do I need to replace this tank due to ethanol issues?

Thanks

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: Fiberglass gass tank (replace?)

There's no easy way to be sure what type of resin the tank was made with, so the best option is to replace it.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Are you having issues with it?

Ethanol has been in gasoline for over 30 years and actually has a benefit of cleaning fuel systems.

jpv

Seaman Apprentice

I just bought the boat so I dont know if the previous owner was having fuel issues. I do know that he just rebuilt the engine and also it does not have any external fuel filters or fuel water separators...which I plan on adding. I dont want to take a chance messing up the rebuilt engine......and I have read some articles about ethanol eating up fiberglass tanks.

Thanks for your replies.........

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

From a good article, that I will follow with the link:

"It can dissolve some types of rubber and plastic, and it can even dissolve the resin in fiberglass fuel tanks built before the early ?80s. If you own a boat with a fiberglass fuel tank built around 1983, we advise you to call the manufacturer and ask if it is safe to use E-10 in the tank. If the builder is out of business or you can?t get an answer, then proceed carefully. Be alert to smoking, new engine noise, and loss of performance, all of which may indicate that you have a problem of resin dissolving in your fuel."

http://www.boattest.com/Resources/view_news.aspx?NewsID=3345

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

I just bought the boat so I dont know if the previous owner was having fuel issues. I do know that he just rebuilt the engine and also it does not have any external fuel filters or fuel water separators...which I plan on adding. I dont want to take a chance messing up the rebuilt engine......and I have read some articles about ethanol eating up fiberglass tanks.

Thanks for your replies.........

By all means, add the fuel/water seperator (10 micron!).

You don't tell us where you live, but around my area the BP stations are selling the 'real deal'...NO ethanol in any of their gas grades. Needless to say...that is where I buy my boat fuel.

jonesg

Admiral

Craigslist always has plenty of good used alum and stainless tanks.
Its a no brainer, for $100 or less, I would re-do all the tank plumbing with new double stainless clamps too.
I got an almost new 55gal aluminum tank for $100.

jpv

Seaman Apprentice

jonesg.....sorry to bother you again...but my question about Craigslist is.......under what category on Craigslist can I find these replacement gas tanks that you are talking about? Boats?

To others......would a good 10 micron fuel water separator solve my issue...and just keep changing the filter frequently? Or can that bad stuff still get by the filter and screw up my engine.

Thanks

RICHARD5

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The experimental airplane builders are very concerned about this exact thing. Judging from their consensus I would suggest replacing the tank if burning E-15 or whatever it's called.

gee cee

Cadet

I was watching ShipShape TV a month or so ago, they had a segment devoted to fiberglass tanks and enthanol. You can go to their website and read what they have to say, I agree with the others I would change the tank and be safe. I would add external water/ fuel seperator filter, Use additives and keep tank topped off, fill up when you leave water, not when you go. If you can't find what you want you want on e-bay, try Craiglists type in fuel tank in boats, don't forget to check towns that close,try boat savage in your home town.

jonesg

Admiral

Why don't you guys fill out your profile location.!
I just found 7 tanks with a quick search.
But if your location is a secret, so are the tanks.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

If you are worried about the tank now. Then it will haunt you forever, I would just change it and then forget it. My 2 cents worth.
Have a great day
Bob

jpv

Seaman Apprentice

Sorry about the profile issue...Im a newbie....Just getting the hang of this website. I am from Northern Va...I fish out of Solomons Island Md saltwater and will be storing this boat at Lake Anna as my fresh water rig. I got a reply from Wellcraft today who said what you guys are saying....(replace)

Again....
Thanks for your replies

Robert D

Petty Officer 1st Class

Replace it. Unless of course, you feel safe not knowing if it'll explode eventually? Get a new tank. Cheap insurance. I wouldn't go used. Strictly new, including all lines, clamps, fittings, etc. Nice and clean that way.

jpv

Seaman Apprentice

Jonesg.....
I have searched Craigslist in my area and no gas tanks under the "boats" category. I will check your area....I see you filled out your profile.

Thanks

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

When I'm looking for a specific item on C/L I don't pick a category, on the home page you can enter it there and it will search all sections, people enter items in the wrong place all the time.

As for your question on the other thread. Fill the tank with soapy water and let it sit for a while then rinse it a couple of times with soapy water, this will take care of any gas left in the tank. You can even leave it full of water when you cut it if you want to.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

jpv,
There is a aluminun tank in Front Royal, 51 miles from Chantilly. Asking $125. I don't know what size you are looking for but this one is around 40 gal.
Bob

jpv

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the additional info guys....I will go back to the drawing board on Craigslist. I first have to pull the old one to get some measuremnts before I buy the new one. I would jump all over that tank you mentioned for $125.

JPV

BobsGlasstream

Commander

JPV
Glad to help, Let me kow if you can't find it and I'll get you the info.
Good Luck
Have a great day.
Bob