Fiberglass dust recycle??

knotperfect

Seaman
Can I use the mountain of fiberglass dust that I have created to mix with Poly resin to make my own filler? I kinda feel like an infant with a poopy diaper:rolleyes:. I know the grinding dust is itchy and messy, but I like it and I don't want to throw it away. Can I use it?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Fiberglass dust recycle??

Can I use it?

Ayuh,... It ain't Cabosil, but I'm sure it has some thickin' properties...

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

I kinda feel like an infant with a poopy diaper.
Thats funny. Fiberglass dust will thicken a mixture some. It seems to turn into resin when remixed for lack of a better description.Do not use this in a structural situation. I will not attest to its effect on the resin when strength is concerned.

cgd7777777

Petty Officer 1st Class

Or just save it and put it in your wifes underware drawer when she dosen't listen!

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

You can mix it into the resin when making putty, but the shelf life will be shortened because the dust will start to react with the resin and begin to gel, might be a few days or a few weeks, depends on the exact resin and dust.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

I wouldnt use it exclusively for putty..you would have to add some cabosil or other thickeners.

Therefore I see no benefit of using possible contaminated glass dust. Just chop up some of that extra mat you have laying around to your paste.

YD.