fiberglass disbonding from new floor?!?!

Eggkr8

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello,<br /><br />I finally got a few precious hours to work on the boat. Unfortunately i discovered that my new floor had some sizable areas of disbond. I used pressure treated plywood that was dried in my basement for like 10 weeks, sanded it, wiped down with acetone, 28 oz woven roving. Put down a good coat of resin and then the plywood, then the woven roving and more resin. Worked it in with th right tool and all loked great at the time.<br /><br />Can I slice into the disbond and put more resin into it and then apply weight? Or remove the disbond and re-mat new finberglass down? Or rip out the entire affect area and re-glass the whole floor when it has its disbond?<br /><br />Also, any ideas why it could've disbonded?<br /><br />Thanks<br />Egg

JustMrWill

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: fiberglass disbonding from new floor?!?!

Epoxy or poly?<br /><br />-JMW

BillP

Captain

You did the whole job in one session without letting the first resin coat dry first. right? What type roller did you use on the woven roven to get the air out? <br /><br />I doubt it has anything to do with the pt process. It would have to be dripping wet with H2O to lift resin that quickly. My guess is you have air bubbles generated from off gassing. They can be cut out. Can you post pics?

Eggkr8

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Will.. It is Poly, US coposites<br /><br />Bill P, thanks for the advise. I did this all in one session. I put the floor down in September or October of last year. The boat was outside all winter and covered. I used that tool that looks like a metal roller with ridges on it.<br /><br />I tried a few pics but the problem isn't noticeable in the pics

garrett61

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Did you use Poly?<br />If so you shoulda had some mat down first. the woven doesnt like to stick to well without a backing.

Eggkr8

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Garrett.. great job on your boat btw!<br /><br />I thought that Matt under woven was a myth? can you explain it a bit or point me in a direction?

garrett61

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am pretty sure it was covered in the poly vs epoxy topic<br />But everywhere ive read you need to back woven rove with mat i used 1 1/2 oz. <br />Thanks the deck was painted with grizzly grip its very rubbery no skid. extremely coarse for the fishing.<br />Good Luck

Chief101

Chief Petty Officer

And to go along with the mat I always paint the dry ply surface with a thinned and catalyzed resin mixture just before glassing. Chief

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

G61 and chief are correct, mat is needed for almost every type of repair when using poly. Plus the plywood (any wood) needs to be pre-coated to help prevent air bubbles from forming as it cures.

garrett61

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Forgot the prep. i used styrene and poly to coat all of my deck both sides 2x. Any wood that went into the boat got primed out this way. Watch the edges also they soak up alot of poly. The radius roller or "bubble buster" works well but i laid the entire deck in one day once i faired it all out.<br />I found that a large rubber squeege worked very well to smooth it all out before the radius roller was used. Just the right pressure so you dont take too much material off the glass.<br />Good Luck

Eggkr8

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Garrett,<br /><br />I need to come see what you got going on. I coated both sides and the edges of my plywood with poly. I only applied the roving on top though.<br /><br />I think I need to strip the whole roving back to the point where it is fully bonded and lay down matt then new roving. I will leave the section that is well bonded alone.<br /><br />Please keep the comments coming.<br /><br />Cheers<br />e

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Normally if you start pulling up the roving it will come off easier than you think, even on what looks like a well bonded area. Adding styrene to resin will reduce the viscosity, but will also degrade it, it will become weaker and brittle if more than just a small amount is added.

Eggkr8

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks ondarvr, <br /><br />How much surface prep should I do to the newly re-exposed PT plywood? Sand it smooth? Sand it to bare wood?<br /><br />I will be putting mat down on the to be re-done section before the roving<br /><br />Oh.... the horror!

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

If there's a rough bumpy surface of resin, then sand that down to wood, if the resin came up the with roving then sand until it's somewhat smooth, but it won't need much.

ztim

Chief Petty Officer

Yes, go ahead and do the matt first and then cloth over that. Read the directions very closly though because some things you may be cleaning with may have an addative which will not let the glass bond with anything. Tiny print is a pain but it needs to be read. Good luck.

Eggkr8

Petty Officer 1st Class

It's the fine print that will get you everytime!<br /><br />Thanks All, I think I got a clear path to what I need to (re) do and a painful lesson learned.<br /><br />At least the painful ones are the lessons you don't forget

garrett61

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Egg let me know id be more than happy to lend a hand.

garrett61

Petty Officer 2nd Class

oops double post.<br />Keep the beer cold!